• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Thread on Bigs who have modern NBA skills

KB21

I felt like it was time to separate this out from the Zach Edey discussion and actually discuss the other bigs in this class who have a modern NBA skill set/athleticism.  So, I'll start with the guy who may be my favorite big prospect in this draft outside of Alexander Sarr:

Kel'el Ware, 7'0", Indiana

So, there is this narrative that Kel'el doesn't have a motor and lacks a worth ethic and drive.

Kel'el Ware has grown more than Indiana could have possibly imagined - Inside the Hall | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball News, Recruiting and Analysis

When the 7-footer transferred to Indiana from Oregon last spring, many, even his former head coach, questioned his work ethic, will to win and effort. Nearly a year later, those questions were answered with resounding eye rolls. It’s a false narrative at this point; everyone knows that.

“After that first month, he’s been a totally different player,” Woodson said. “I got to give tribute to our coaching staff and how they work. We pushed him, his teammates believe in him and I believe in him. He’s been phenomenal; been playing unbelievable.”

Ware's combination of verticality (7'0" tall), athleticism, perimeter offensive game, rim protection, and multi positional defense makes him an excellent fit with the Hawks.  He would give the Hawks the verticality that they do not get from Onyeka Okongwu, and that's without having to become a pure drop coverage style defense that can be taken advantage of by good shooting teams.  

• Like 2

KB, is there really a reason for you to create an anyone but Zach Edey thread? 

You have literally stated posts like this in the Edey thread, the draft thread, random threads, etc. Just curious to know 

I think Edey is modern. He screens, PnR, and he's elite at both. That's modern. The post up stuff is traditional but traditional is good if you are great at it.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Haha 2

(3) Kel'el Ware Scouting Report - by Ersin Demir (substack.com)

Good read here.  

NBA Draft Projection

An NBA franchise is buying potential in Ware’s profile. His physical tools are absolute value-risers with his mobility and verticality being the two positives. However, in terms of the intangibles, he has to improve his decision-making and defensive footwork via more reps at the next level.

With Ware not turning 21 until after Eastern in the next NBA season, he’s still young for a sophomore. An NBA team that values age will see this as a positive. Ware’s fearlessness combined with his betting on himself by joining a major program in a big-men-heavy Big Ten shows the confidence he has in himself and his development.

His help defense and potential to be a versatile pick-and-roll defender combined with Ware’s passing and developing jumper could make him a solid starter for years to come. Ware has to improve these areas as a natural result of his young age, which makes it likely he’ll play G League minutes in the first two years of his NBA career.

Based on the pros and cons mentioned in this scouting report, I project Ware to be a lock for the top 20 of the 2024 NBA Draft, with him being able to enter the lottery based on how he’ll perform during team workouts and at the NBA Draft Combine.

Another big I like is Ulrich Chomche:

(3) Ulrich Chomche Scouting Report - by Ersin Demir (substack.com)

NBA Draft Projection

By drafting Chomche, an NBA franchise is swinging for the fences in terms of developing a clear and scalable NBA role for one of the best athletes among big men in the last few draft cycles.

He’s still very raw and outside of playing as a rim-running energy big that gets his production as a play-finisher, there isn’t much possible yet. In terms of his feel for the game, Chomche needs to play consistent and long minutes, which isn’t the case this season.

This doesn’t take anything away from the flashes he has already shown. If everything clicks, Chomche can be a game-changer on the defensive end, with enough offensive possibilities to be an above-average player on that end.

Specifically, his light feet, tremendous leaping ability, and lateral quickness make it likely that he’ll guard every position in a later stage of his career. What stood out is that even if he makes mistakes in his reads, he’s quick to recover them. If an NBA team manages to minimize those mistakes, Chomche has the tools to be one of the best defenders among big men in the NBA.

On the offensive end, his ability to screen must improve if he wants to reach his potential. The three-ball looks promising but needs work in terms of quicker decision-making to either pass or shoot. He doesn’t handle the ball yet to create his plays off the dribble, therefore his ability to create something in the post is holding the most value currently to determine where he gets his offensive production.

Chomche needs to play consistent minutes. However, I don’t think that playing college basketball is a good bet to make. His lack of a good feel for the game will make it hard to adapt early on, which will lead to him being either a three or four-year player, and that is a loss for the potential he holds at the NBA level.

An athlete of Chomche’s caliber needs to move to the NBA right away and play G League basketball for two years to slowly adapt to the higher-paced game and embrace the role his franchise will give him. Despite him being so raw, I do not doubt that an NBA team that’s not in a rush to play him, will take on the challenge of developing him and draft him in the latter stages of the first round.

Yves Missi

(3) 2024 NBA Draft Scouting Report - Yves Missi (substack.com)

ARCHETYPE/POTENTIAL ROLE

When he first comes into the NBA he will fill the role of your prototypical play finishing and rim protection big in the mold of a Clint Capela or more recently, Dereck Lively II. This is a role he should be successful in considering how twitchy he is when getting off the floor for lob finishes and offensive rebound putbacks. Defensively, there is still some rawness to his game but he uses all of those physical tools in a very impactful manner that keeps him constantly active and engaged. Has real potential as a difference maker on this end due to his movement ability in ball screen coverages. The bigger upside and ceiling will come from the fact that he has only been playing basketball for a few years and just recently sprouted up to his current height. There have been flashes of a more diverse offensive package that has the potential to grow behind the scenes during his early years in the NBA. 

We will not have a shot at him, but Alexander Sarr:

Another French #1 NBA Draft Pick? | Alexandre Sarr NBA Draft Scouting Report (substack.com)

What would be his role in the NBA?

I think in defense he would be used as a switch defender. As explained in the paragraphs above, he has the athletic tools to switch in defense and follow the guards or wings on perimeter and when he bulks up, he will be better interior defender too. He should be an above average shot blocker through his career. A lot in his defense will depend on his awareness though and how focused and reliable he can be to not get into foul trouble.

Due to his offensive versatility he can be used in many different roles but I believe he will be mostly used as an face up/stretch big. He will need to continue improving in his three-point shot and be a more reliable shooting threat. With his ball handling skills, he will be able to attack other bigs with drives and put pressure on the rim. He should be good as a pick & roll rolling big too and as a catch & finisher in the paint so there are many options how to use him in offense.

Is his skillset translatable to NBA?

It should be, yes. As mentioned throught the article, he is physically not ready yet and he will need to bulk up to be more competitive against “the big guys” but over years he should be fine.

The technical skillset is at the moment quite raw and he will need some time to chisel his skills too. I don’t think he is ready to be immediately thrown into the water to swim and that he will need some time to adapt to NBA level.

The overall package is there and I can imagine his player profile and game translating to NBA, it just depends how much he will improve in his skills and how big/important his role will be.

Hawks really need a couple of these big men that are going to be available when our turn comes.  Hope we get good ones!!

:smug:

30 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

This draft is too deep in talented bigs WITH SIZE for us to walk away with more undersized guards, wing and forwards.

The Hawks aren't deep with forwards though, and they especially aren't deep with on the ball perimeter defenders.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks aren't deep with forwards though, and they especially aren't deep with on the ball perimeter defenders.  

My ideal draft is one big who can develop into our starting center by year 3 and one wing who can be a plus defender with upside.

• Like 1