• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

1. Trade the pick for star vet

2. Trade down with SA for 4 and 8

3. Clingan

4. Sarr but with a legit development plan.

Wemby | Sarr | Sochan would be scary defensively.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Hawkish said:

Wemby | Sarr | Sochan would be scary defensively.

That would work as well as long as they are patient with Sarr

Edited by NBASupes

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I would trade the pick. That is if a deal makes sense.  If they keep th the pick I think Sarr will be the choice. 

Im with you on this one im looking at all possible trade options to see what the absolute best we can get back is before making the pick.    If that means you offer  #1 + Murray + something for a better star than murray thats fine.   If that means you offer Trae + 1st + something for a superstar that might be available thats on the table as well.  I would call every team out there and see what kind of monsters might be possible to pry loose.  Then as you said if nothing is there thats worth your time then Sarr is a fine backup choice.

Edited by Threezus

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I would trade the pick. That is if a deal makes sense.  If they keep th the pick I think Sarr will be the choice. 

Which player do you want to trade the pick for?

I don't see the value in trading down for MORE picks in this draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Which player do you want to trade the pick for?

I don't see the value in trading down for MORE picks in this draft.

Agreed.  My anticipation is that any offers for the 1st pick are going to be subpar.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

Agreed.  My anticipation is that any offers for the 1st pick are going to be subpar.

The only trade down I would be remotely interested in from SAS would be for #4 and our 2025 pick back. That's it.

But then who would be the target at 4 with the top 3 gone?

• Thanks 2

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/9/20/23881605/2024-nba-draft-alex-sarr-breakout-prospect

Alex Sarr May Be the Most Intriguing Prospect in the 2024 NBA Draft Class

The 7-foot-1 French teenager is a skyscraping wing in a center’s body who stole the show in two exhibition games against the G League Ignite. Said one NBA GM of the draft next June: “Sarr could go first.”

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The only trade down I would be remotely interested in from SAS would be for #4 and our 2025 pick back. That's it.

But then who would be the target at 4 with the top 3 gone?

I suspect if the Spurs come calling, it won't be for the pick.  It will be them asking for Trae which I'm NOT down with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@NBASupes   I'm asking this honestly and not trying to pick a fight, but in the Edey thread, you literally said Edey and Sarr are the only 2 guys who you can see being an MVP in this class.  So why the extreme stance against him now?  You went from saying he could be an MVP to saying he's definitely going to bust.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, REHawksFan said:

@NBASupes   I'm asking this honestly and not trying to pick a fight, but in the Edey thread, you literally said Edey and Sarr are the only 2 guys who you can see being an MVP in this class.  So why the extreme stance against him now?  You went from saying he could be an MVP to saying he's definitely going to bust.  

I still agree with that. Have you paid attention to my posts on Sarr as a big wing. My issue with him is with the Hawks, in particular as a big where his bust potential is through the roof.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I still agree with that. Have you paid attention to my posts on Sarr as a big wing. My issue with him is with the Hawks, in particular as a big where his bust potential is through the roof.

Do you have intel that the Hawks would only look at Sarr at the 5?  Why can't he be a 3 or a backup and we address the 5 in another way?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, REHawksFan said:

Do you have intel that the Hawks would only look at Sarr at the 5?  Why can't he be a 3 or a backup and we address the 5 in another way?  

I don't have that intel and won't have that intel as they haven't even brought the guys in yet. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I suspect if the Spurs come calling, it won't be for the pick.  It will be them asking for Trae which I'm NOT down with.

Yup...already seeing interwebs crawling with SAS has 4 and 8 and Hawks picks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trading Trae to SA would be the ultimate “We messed up” declaration by the Atlanta FO. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

That combined with radio silence from Trae makes me a bit nervous.  

• Like 1

I do believe Clingan is more nba ready than Sarr right now that’s for sure but man this is very tough.

i did a lot of research on all the other centers except Sarr where I did very little but like what little I saw in Sarr.

I’m more concerned with losing Trae in all honesty which weighs heavily on my own personal choice therefore Clingan is my pick …on the other hand let’s say Trae walks next summer, I feel like we should take Sarr.

yeah I don’t know. Also I believe we should add Darvin Ham regardless as I’ve always thought he was a good big man developing assistant coach.

51 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Considering that under Quin we have seen:

-Onyeka at the four minutes

- Jalen at the three and the five minutes

-Mo Gueye at the five minutes 

It’s pretty clear that the hawks are going to use their players for several positions if they’re versatile enough. It would be an absolute detriment to Sarr’s development if just put Sarr in a box (ie let him only play exclusively the 4 or the 5). 

reason why there’s such a negative reaction is probably because there is now zero chance we draft Edey unless there is a massive overdraft (or Tony Ressler intervenes)

• Like 1