Spreewell to the Hawks for JT?

Killa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the guy's name is something lik nesterovic or something..

Terry needs to stay in Atlanta...it would be a huuugggee mistake...HOWEVER..if this happens, we need to get kurt thomas in the deal... the existing scenario sucks cuz we get nothing except a one year maybe half star..i've been a spree fan but he is getting older and this is a young team of the future...

you know, babcock has a good thing going and doesn't need to screw it up by trying to get too fancy...i beleive in the concept of having untouchable players.. when you have players that fit a piece of the puzzle and you just have to find other pieces, you don't trade away these players.. we are like one YOUNG player away if that...

if it was up to me the starting lineup at the BEGINNING of the season would be terry at the point, dj at the 2 guard, ira at sf and the rest is obvious...as dickau gets better and eventually gets the nod as a starter, he gets the point, jt at teh 2 guard, dj as sf and the rest is same...i know that this involves changing positions but we are in a tough position with our lineup... i don't care a bit about a small guard situation..they still have talent...

as were many others that had a right to question why ATL would move up to the 1st rd for a PG, if they were truly committed to JT.

It just goes to show that Babcock will tell us and the players anything. But he didnt fool the "insiders" at all b/c they talk with the other teams and get the scoop. Babs has had this up his sleeve all summer.

When ESPN and others kept stating the Hawks were going after PGs, we were told it was for a backup, now the truth comes out that theyre moving JT.

This great white hope, DD, cant hold JTs jock but they are just going to simply hand the reigns to him w/o even an apprenticeship.

This must also mean that someone in the summer camp backct. has caught the teams eye. Bullock, Simon, Carr all have good size and range in the backct.

They were talking about it on 790 a little while ago. Hyping up Spree and saying he's better than JT will ever be (?!?!?). Yeah right, stick to college football guys. Their report says JT/Naz/Hendu for Spree/Othella. VERY BAD trade IMO, and I hope this is just some stupid NY Vescey homering kind of thing. I don't like the deal, I don't like the package, I really don't like Spreewell. I just can't emphasize how retarted this trade would be.....JR Rider comes immediately to mind.

Heck this will even be a much more worst trade than the Smitty for Rider/JJ trade. But you are right This will go down as the most senseless and dumbest trade in NBA history, by trading a caliber starting center, a very good backup and starting material PF and last but definitely not least a top notch and future allstar PG.......for........a washed out SG in Spreewell and a lazy "no hustle" PF Othella Harrington. Babs if you do something like this you will never ever be admitted by the Hawks fan community. New York will be laughing at you all day everyday.

Those idiots think this is a no brainer for the Hawks as do the vast majority of callers. It just pisses me off so bad I can't stand it! I can't think of a worse scenario than JT ending up with the Knicks. All of a sudden, he will be known as a "young Gary Payton" and he will be seen as being much better than Miller, Marbury, Bibby and the other young PGs. If we're talking the Latrell Sprewell of 4 years ago, I would have no problem with the deal. But Latrell is clearly on the downside of his career and JT hasn't even reached his prime yet. JT is 7 years younger than Spree and he is in a position to grow with the rest of our young talent while Spree is toward the end of his career. JT is a class guy and the leader of this team. Spree may be a tough competitor but I don't see him as a leader. He's not a guy that you want to be the front man for your organization.

The rest of the trade is not much better. Dickau is in no way ready to take over as the starting PG for this team! He has turned the ball over at a higher rate than JT did as a rookie PG in the summer league and although I think he is definitely going to be a very good player, he's going to need time to adjust to the NBA game.

Those guys on the radio were talking about how big of a difference there was between Spree and Glover (or DJ) at SG but I think there is a bigger difference between JT and Dickau at PG RIGHT NOW than there is between Spree and Glover (or DJ) right now. In a year, DG and DJ both will be very close to what Spree is able to do as their skills develop and his continue to decline. I think Glover or DJ will give us 14-16 ppg as a starting SG this year. Spree would probably only give us 20 ppg at best. He's not the explosive player he once was. I think JT will give us 20 ppg as well but I don't know if Dickau is ready to kick in 14-16 ppg as a starter. give me the young guys.

I'd love to get rid of Hendu's contract but from a talent standpoint, he's as good as Harrington is and Nazr is better than Harrington.

To me, making this deal would fly in the face of everything Babs has done to rebuild this team. Why trade JT for Spree when you traded Smitty because he was getting to old? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

If Dickau is supposed to be good enough to replace JT, why didn't the Knicks just take Dickau instead of Frank Williams? They passed on Dickau for Williams so you have to assume that they think Williams is the better player. While I don't think that is the case, a LOT of teams who needed PGs a hell of a lot worse than we did passed on Dickau and took other players. Why should we bank our future on Dickau BEFORE he proves he is worth it? HORRIBLE DEAL! Babs had not pull the trigger on this nonsense (I'm not taking this rumor at face value it is the NY press) but if he does, I don't know if I can support the team anymore. I feel that strongly about it.

Well what a strange thing to wake up to hearing about this crazy proposal. Honestly I dont mind the idea of trading JT if it makes our club better, but this trade doesnt do that. Harrington is nothing, he is nobody I would want on our team. Not unless its Al Harrington. While Spree can score a bunch of points and he plays very good defense, he has a major attitude problem that wont fit well with our team and he cant rebound for sh*t either. The only positive we get from this trade is losing Hendu and that damn sure to me isnt worth giving up JT and Nazr. I bet you that we could get Odom and one of the clips rookie PFs plus maybe Richardson or Maggette or something for those 3 guys. Would we do that trade then? That deal wont work on the trade checker because nobody makes up enough salary to offset Hendus crazy salary though. Man I gotta go with everyone else here, as much I like the idea of improving our team, this trade damn sure doesnt do it.

i have to disagree about dickau. i think he will become a top flight PG. from college till now he has impressed me more and more everytime i have seen him. granted he hasnt played any "competition" yet but soon he will and i think he will be able to handle that more than adeqautely. yet that is yet to happen but i guess we will see. now does that mean i favor him over JT? HELL NO! JT NEEDS TO STAY. i like the idea of having both of them around for a long time or atleast into the near future.

• Premium Member

There are alot of things to look at in this trade.

1. Spreewell. Has he been stiffled by Bad coaching and out of position? Maybe. If we have Spree, DJ, and Theo on the floor together.. .How good is our defense.

Or

Is Spreewell Old? Is he past his prime? Are we trading for fools gold? We give up a 20 ppg player who is not a good PG and too small to play SG... for a SG who may be past his prime??

Well if he is past his prime, Glover gets one more chance!

2. Harrington. What went wrong in Memphis? What went wrong in NY? I think that Harrington is a waste. Not much better than Hendu. However, he's not the principle of this trade and hes cheap anyway. So whatever.

What everyone else is looking at is that all we give up is Terry. Terry is good but he doesn't fit. He'd fit better next to Houston. However, we have to get a better deal than this... What does Minn want to give for Spree?

Other deals... I have mentioned.

JT/Hendu to Miami for Jones!

JT for Odom! Straight up, I think this trade works and nobody gets hurt...

JT/Hendu/Toni/Nazr to PTL for Bonzi/Stoudamire/ Davis...

That's my trade of the Day... YOu might turn your nose up at it, but I'm starting to really like it.

Talent wise I would do the JT for Odom deal, but its far too risky because of Odoms major problems off the court. He is one step away from a major suspension.

Homer wise I love the last deal, but no way we could get that package for what we are giving up. If we could I wouldnt hesitate with doing it, but I just cant see it happening.

tmac is back

After not posting in forever I come back actually agreeing a little with Diesel on this one. I don't think our coaching staff has much confidence at all in JT's ability at the point. I like JT, he is a very likeable player, but come on guys, the only part of the game he excells at is scoring. He is a poor defender(at both guard positions), and he is an adequate ball handler at best. With a guy like Spree, you get more scoring, and you get a MUCH better defender. With Spree, DJ, and a healthy Theo, we are one of the best defensive teams in the league. I heard EMuss on 790 yesterday and he is very very hi on DD.With a decent backup at the point, this trade might make us much better. We will finally be normal sized and athletic.

If we make this trade I think I will be done as a Hawks fan. I can live with horrible drafts and poor coaching and playing, but I don't think I can live with another horrible Nique like trade that crushes the team.

If we trade JT we damn well better get someone that is going to play for a while and be good. ex(Odom)

TMac did you watch last year when JT moved to PG? He averaged 20 ppg and 7apg. How many Pg's in the league can do that? JT did this with little offensive consistencey besides SAR. Babs needs to get a plan and stick with it. I am tired of rebuilding. Get us a SF and lets when the east.

and the defense would be better. which would be nice. but i just dont see it as a trade that i would take. not for spree. if we are going to trade JT it better be for someone who has his potential to be an allstar or an allstar with plenty of years left in his career. this might be asking alot to some but that's how strongly i feel about JT and his evolving game.