• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Once Again, Tanking Prevails

jaywalker72

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=447

ON February 4th, The Los Angeles Clippers stood at 22-25, just 3 games under .500 with a young, talented roster that boasted players like Elton Brand and Corey Maggette. The Atlanta Hawks, on the other hand, were about to gut their roster of players like Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff, a roster that had won just 1/3 of its games.

No two teams were on more different paths. The Clippers were finally spending money and moving on up, while the Hawks were cleaning house of talent and salaries to rebuild.

So, with that in mind, can somebody tell me how in the name of the almighty peach basket the Clippers ended up with the #2 pick in the draft?

The answer is in one word. Tanking.

It’s taboo to discuss, but oh so prevalent in the NBA. Teams with little to play for, simply don’t once they are out of it, all in the name of a better place in the NBA draft lottery. These teams shirk pride, dignity, and good sportsmanship in order to cash out of their seasons early, and their front office gets rewarded with a plumb pick in the next draft.

What happens to teams that play it straight and actually compete to finish out their schedule? They pick sixth.

The Clippers went into the tank in a major way, finishing the season with an abysmal 6-29 record with their roster in tact. The Clippers removed all doubts of their intentions by “wrapping” up their season 3-21, being outscored by an average margin of 10 points a night during that stretch.

The Hawks, on the other hand, playing with a skeleton roster that should have made the Clippers look like the Dream Team, finished 12-20, outscored by an average of 3 points per contest.

Such obvious tanking isn’t uncommon in the league, heck, the lottery was put into place to avoid teams going under intentionally to get the top pick. Now, the lottery has enabled a whole slew of teams to tank, but now it’s to get a better ping pong ball positions.

The Clippers free fell into a tie with the Hawks, leaving the fate of the teams to a coin flip, which was the only thing the Clippers won since February, gaining the fifth position and a better chance at landing in the lottery. With that extra few ping pong balls, the Clippers now pick second in the draft while the Hawks are left to stew with a better springtime record for 2003-2004 and the sixth pick. It’s disgusting.

As a fan, I have always been against tanking because it sends the wrong message to your team, your fans, and it makes the league look bad. But, if the result means being rewarded instead of punished, if the result to having a talented roster but realizing you can’t make the playoffs so why not start losing is a first class ticket to even more talent, then dignity be darned, let’s hurry up and start losing. I’ll start making up the T-Shirts that say “Tankin’ in the ATL”. As soon as December rolls through next year, let’s not even wait or play the games, let’s forfeit so that we can be the ones giggling to ourselves that boy-oh-boy, will we be even better next year.

The Clippers pulled a fast one on their usual patsies, the Hawks. When it was the result of a trade gone awry, you could swallow the bitter pill. But the fact that it’s the Hawks competing like they should have while the talented Clippers saw lottery gold that led to this thievery is wrong and a crime, and it’s one that the NBA won’t even care to discuss or feel bad about, much less change.

Jason Walker is busy cleaning up the mess that spewed forth after the Clippers “fell” into the lottery instead of the Hawks. He can be reached at ]jwalkr72@bellsouth.net.

Great article, tanking is the main reason I hate the clippers. I hope that Kobe does not sign with them. I want the clippers to be losers for life. But just imagine them with the number 2 pick and Kobe. Yikes, they could be the team to beat in the West.

Jay,

Great insight as always.

It is disgusting and an embarrassment to the league for teams tanking the season for the sake of having more ping pong balls.

As for the Hawks, Terry Stotts didn't give up on the team nor did the team give up on themselves.

What bothers me is that teams who play with heart, passion, and the integrity of the game is punished.

With the fate of a simple coin toss, the Clippers get the #2 pick and the Hawks get the #6 pick.

More than anything, the Hawks deserve the #2 pick!!!

Looking at the Hawks situation, the Hawks are starting from scratch--new management, coach, tons of extra money, and most of all, revitalizing the city of Atlanta.

It's just an embarrassment to the NBA and to the fans that deserving teams like the Atlanta Hawks are punished for playing the game with passion and heart.

• Premium Member

Didn't you see the unwinableness of your argument about fixed Lotteries... now you have forced the plan b of the argument.

Damn... Volfan... How can you come here and kick every Hawks fan in the gut while we're down??? Couldn't you tell that we all were hoping that I was right???

Now what are you going to do next... Go to the mall at Christmas and pull the beard off Santa? Knock the head off of the Hokie Bird??

For one damn night, couldn't you give it a rest and let us Hawks fans be in pain without kicking us while we're down???

Where's the compassion?

The Clippers on the top of the world right now, as we all know they should be.

I have been reading from board to board.

ESPN:

Clipper fans are talking about trading for Baron Davis, and they aren't interested in trading with the Hawks.

One person offered Hawks #6 and #17 for the Clippers #2.

It was shot down, and they responsed with:

Quote:

No

The #16 pick doesn't hold much value.

The Clips need QUALITY, not quantity."

and another:

Quote:

would not

I would not trade a potential superstar for two average players.

By reading around I find it funny if the Clippers draft a PF or SF. They have no need for that draft choice, but oh well we know how the Clippers are.

It would take more than the #2pick to get an establish player like Baron Davis. Baron is a top 5pointguard(or close) in the league so why would the Hornets put themselves in a hole just to get Howard whom they don't need since they have Magloire and PJ Brown?

• Premium Member

sorry Diesel had to get you on that one. I've followed this leauge and the Hawks since the early and I mean early 80s. The leauge only gives a damn about teams located in NY, Chicago, Los Angeles, and probably Boston.

Orlando somehow got lucky and the Clipps have been there so often that is their home...........the lottery.

I criticized the unloading of players for cap space and I may have been wrong. Trades didn't work for Zeke in NY, although you have to remember the league will somehow help the NickerBockers out in the end.

We need to resign Pryz and Sura. I would not keep Crawford if I could get rid of his contract, and Hendu definitely has not filled his end of the bargain. Hendu has been as well as Crawford on Hawk welfare the pst few years.

I think we need a good solid Power Forward who will rebound and is active around the basket, I used to know every player in the league and their contracts but with my job these days I will leave that to you young guys. Also needed is a PG, Sura can do the job but he is needed to come off the bench and provide a spark. SJax if I could get him at the right price would also be resigned.

Kobe or Kmart ain't coming to Atlanta and you can write that down.

Sorry for the letdown but I'm as agravated as everyone although after 20 years I am not letting it get to me as bad.