• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Time for changes...This team is awful

tmac13

1..Release Kenny Anderson..He is done, doeesn't play a lick of defense..Sign Troy Bell..

2..Start Smoove at center..I know, I know, he is undersized, he will get abused by a few of the bigger centers pounding on him..However, he is our only good help defender, has a 7 footers wingspan, and might help keep the Travis Bests of the world from going unimpeded to the hoop. He does not seem to have a personality that will be affected by getting beat up a little by larger guys, if anything he will respond by playing harder and tougher himself.I bet starting at the 5 he is a 10 point, 10 rebound, 2 block guy immediately.

3..Start and play Chills significant minutes every game..Install a few plays for him, concentrate on his inside strengths.

4..Switch Walker and Harrington..Let Al play the 4, Walker the 3. Get Al to be a more agressive, assertive player..

Just a few thoughts....

the AJC.

"I'm not here to teach effort," Woodson said. "My job is to teach X's and O's. Everybody gets paid well in this league. They should want to come out and give effort. So the guys that don't give effort, I'm not going to play them. I'm going to make changes."

While we miss high effort guys like Ivey and Crawford it is very clear that BK assembled a roster that does not match up with Woodson's Pistons style approach. It even appears that Barry, a well regarding high effort player, has softened up lately. We would have been better off this season with a roster of high effort guys (players that will D up even if they lack O skills) and our young players then this current bunch of mismatched players. I have no doubt there will be big moves before the trade deadline and after BK returns from his European "vacation".

Well, if his style is teaching X's and O's he has failed

badly at that. Mike's thinking is good in theory... However,

most of the players don't play hard because they are spoiled

and overpaid. It's the reverse of what we think it should

be. I wonder if Mike is really prepaired enough to be a

head coach of a team right now or if he was hired because

he is Billy Knights really good friend.

I guess I'm not complaining so much because I have come

to expect the losing. But it really sucks the Hawks are

going to end up with the worse team ever. It will be hard

to look at the Hawks as a respectable franchise ever after

all of this.

Is it more important to win games? Or is it more important to develop CHIll, Smoove and RoyAL?

I think Woodson feels like he needs to win to keep his job, but he's trying to hard by giving the horses too many minues.

Right now he's accomplishing zero, neither winning nor growing the young'uns. I'd rather stick the kids out there and leave em alone for 20 minutes at a stretch.

The wins will come.

Kenny's gotta go. He's over.

I agree with most all the above, sorta. Ordinarily a team likes to have 3 players capable of playing the point. We currently have 3 players on our active roster that are sorta point guards. When Ivey comes back we'll have 4, but only Ivey with any future at that position. Anderson is likely to go on the IR when Ivey comes back and then we're likely to eventually need to cut him if a point prospect comes along (I dont think Troy Bell looked decent or we'd have signed him). A trade including Delk or even Diaw is reasonably likely also.

I think Coach Woodson is being smart to gradually work the just turned 19 Josh into the lineup. Woodson probably realizes Josh is one of our best players even though it's obvious he is lost at times on the floor. He's thinking longterm, wants to keep him as hungry as possible and even if he doubts he'd hurt Josh's confidence he doesnt feel it's worth it (maybe later in the year), even if it would win us a few more games.

I think I'd rather see Walker, Delk, Barry, and even Harrington traded. I bet BK is shopping everyone and will shock us soon. Why wouldnt Delk (and throw in Barry or a 2nd rounder) for Tskita work? Harrington (+) for Chandler (+). We have enough cap space, I wouldnt be surprised to see us take on an unwanted to get something, Dalembert with Robinson, or maybe Jalen Rose with Chris Bosch?

Even if we dump all the above and get little in return, I think our hungry young players will get their confidence back (especially when Ivey comes back) and get on a better run. Before Ivey and Drobnjak went down and then Delk came in and threw off our rotations we were getting going. We'll finish up decent and win 20 or so!

I def. think some changes are in order...Although not wholesale changes...I believe Chills will be a star in this leauge...And, i beleive that Smoove has a chance to be as well....As I've stated before, Ivey has shown himself to be a more then capable point in this league(excellent defender)...All those guys will be excellent defenders...I think players like Kenny and Barry need to go...Eddie House was just released...I'd rather see him then Barry at this point...I don't know what happened to the AL that was in Indiana that night. But, i'd sure like to see him again sometime????...He was off the hook that night...And, I think he's deferring to AH way, way, way too much???

I wouldn't mind seeing McCoy get more minutes...Bring Donta off the IL and see what he's got??? We've got nothing to loose...

Even in losses you can accomplish plenty. Obviously you can learn from them in an effort to lose the same way. You can also develop young talent. We're losing the same way every night and we're not really developing our young talent...Come on Woody and BK...Shake this thing up!!!

I agree that changes are needed; however, this is what I think should be done.

Anderson=gone- he has given us one good game. Bring in someone else.

Center- we need a center, I would not put Smooth in that spot. We need to find someone who will play solid and not soft for 30 minutes night in and night out.

Chill, I would give more minutes.

AW and Harrington I would leave as they are, they simply need to play smarter and be better stewards of the ball.

Woodson may need to update some of his offensive sets, the team looks stagnate at times. I am beginning to wonder about his "motivation" skills. He may not be here to teach effort, but he sure beter find a way to "inspire" effort from his players or his coaching days are numbered.

• Premium Member

In all of this, I wonder about the PG play.

Woodson was not an offensive coach. I think Brown is here for that... BUT I think our team fluctuates with the play of the PG. We need a PG who knows when to pass the ball, how to find players in their spots, how to control a tempo, how to play defense...

Alas, there are not many like that in the league....

However, the name I have will make you laugh, but he will help....

Damon Stoudamire.

He's in the last year of his contract. He has a house in Atlanta. He can control a tempo and RIGHT NOW... PORTLAND is getting their clocks cleaned in the West... THEY Are sitting on a trade...

I would trade:

Al Harrington/TonyDelk/CC to PTL

For Stoudamire/1st....

I think that's a very fair trade that will help BOTH teams...

Stoudamire/Ivey/KA

Chillz/D.Smith

J-Smooth/Diaw

Walker/Collier

Drobs/Willis

Finally we would have somebody who could get us in and out of offensive sets. IF you think it doesn't make a difference, watch Phoenix play...

I am sick and tired of everyone whining, calling for lineup and personnel changes after every loss.

The only thing that needs to change is people's expectations.

Guess what, teams rarely do well at all when every player on the roster has been added in the past couple of months including the coach and management. The plan is not to win this year. The plan was to make wholesale changes and set up the team to succeed in a couple of years and try to court a big free agent within the next couple of offseasons.

Anyone who thought we would be anything short of bad this year was simply delusional. We have two good players, as does every other team. Around them are some half decent veteran role players and young guns who haven't come out of their shell yet. The plan is in place, and it does not involve winning this year. It does involve a high draft pick next year. It involves giving these players time to develop chemistry and get a grasp of Woodson's offense.

Anyone who thinks that Woodson will be judged in any way by # of wins this year is wrong. Management understands that this is year 1 of a whole new attempt at success by the hawks. This is supposed to be the year when we hit rock bottom. If you can't handle it, I would suggest not following the NBA this year.

One of the many reasons we have underperformed over the past number of years is all the player movements. We have an ENTIRELY NEW roster that hasn't figured out how to play together, and your solution is to shake everything up? Won't work. What this teams needs is stability. We are bad, and will continue to be bad. If things go well, the players will mesh, the youth will develop, and we might win some games in the second half of the season and approach last year's record. Add a fresh round of draft picks (hopefully at PG/C), try to sign some good free agents, and we can start trying to compete next year.

This is what re-building involves. It was either this, or continued mediocrity in which the very best long term scenario is first round playoff losses. I'll take this. The problem is we got Harrington and Walker, and many hawksquawkers lost their marbles and started talking playoffs. We are doing the right thing, and it is normal for us to be horrible at this point. Whether we are 2-14 or 5-11, does it really make a difference? I don't think so other than make us slightly less miserable and a little further from the top draft pick. I don't know about you guys but I would have taken a couple extra losses last year to get Howard or Okafor to go with Josh Smith.

The bottom line is, the only thing that matters right now is developing chemistry and our youth. That does not necessarily involve throwing Childress and J-Smoove into the fire for 30 minutes a game. Woodson knows alot more than any of us, and is highly regarded across the league. Give him some time to get the players to buy into his system

So you think Ive and Delk are not the answer at point?

I think the most pressing problem is the inconsistent play of Walker and Harrington. Granted some of it can be traced back to the play of K Anderson, hence the reason I want him out of here, but... much of this can be traced to the cream puffs we currently have playing center. Maybe Walker and Harrington are trying to do too much to "compensate" for the chasm we have in the middle. I think the most pressing need is that at Center. smirk.gif

• Moderators

I agree that expecting a lot of wins at this point is ridiculous. If you could clear your whole roster and be a better team right off the bat then about 15 teams would try that every year.

But, I think this many losses and not even close ones at that are a little unexpected. I've been disappointed in the coaching so far. Just because Woodson is 'highly regarded' doesn't mean he'll be good his first time as a head coach. I don't agree with putting the rookies out there for 40 minutes a game, but when you are down 20-30 points late in the 3rd quarter its garbage time! Willis, AW, AH have no business being on the floor at that point. All they can do is hurt themselves.

If the coach isn't getting effort after 15 games can you imagine what it will be like after 50 when we're 12-38? If he thinks his job is just X's and O's then he shouldn't be a head coach. Head coaches in this league have to spend 50% of their time massaging egos, kicking asses, and making everyone think if they don't perform that they'll be hitting the bench. So far we haven't seen that.

But Woodson's a rookie too, and he needs time to figure out what he's doing. Improving the team attitude needs to start at the top though.

Hey Dude don't blow a gasket. I am not promoting wholesale changes, only trimming the fat and waste. I know we are rebuilding and that rebuilding takes time. Yet assessments must be done along the way. I do not see Anderson helping this young team very much and I do not apologize for wanting to see him gone. We need someone in the middle that can at least halfway defend it. Gee wiz most teams have no fear of our inside presence and challenge it at will.

As far as Coach is concerned, he still has to prove that he can get the job done, bottom line. This must be demonstrated on both sides of the ball, offense and defense. I am not suggesting a change in his job.

Quote:

but when you are down 20-30 points late in the 3rd quarter its garbage time! Willis, AW, AH have no business being on the floor at that point. All they can do is hurt themselves.

This is where we disagree. Forget the rookies on the bench. Our starters have no chemistry. They need as much time as possible to figure that one out. I know the rookies need some PT too, but you'd like for them to be learning behind starters that show them the right way to play. Not behind starters that are as confused as them

• Premium Member

People's expectations...

So you think it's expecting too much for us to not get blown out by Charlotte... The expansion team. You know the team who was made up of the players that were unwanted and a first rounder...

Or maybe you think it's too much to expect us to be competitive with NJ...without Kidd. You know...I can't call but one of them's name...

The point is losing is expected but losing to lesser teams is not in the plans... At least not getting blown out by lesser teams...

As far as personnell goes,

It's a known thing that:

1. We need a C and PG... Not just for this year but for the future.

2. Either Antoine or Harrington or Both will be gone next season.

3. There's a lot of potenital in J-Smoove, J-Chill..

We can't sit back and think being non competitive with AW AH and Chillz is a good thing.

Diesel, i understand what ur trying to do...

our biggest problem is

- PG

- C

and if possible, we want to take care of 1 of them before next season starts. u suggest STOUDAMIRE and we're only giving away HARRINGTON (CC + DELK = dime a dozen players). that being said, i would do it.

its obvious that HARRINGTON doesnt compliment WALKER (and vice versa).

LASCAR- as far as changing expectations, of course we have low expectations... but we are THE WORST TEAM in the NBA (well, we'll put up a great run w/ NEW ORLEANS). coaching itself, should get u more wins than this. look at CHARLOTTE, we should have an advantage over them (our players actually have prior experience as a starter, we have a former ALLSTAR who is still young, we have one former best backup players- harrington, and bunch of scrubs). charlotte has 1 stellar rookie whos holding his own, but isint exactly tearing up the league (okafor) and bunch of scrubs w/ limited experience. heck, okafor might not even be the best player on that team (as of RIGHT NOW).

yet, we lose to the bobcats. not by a little, but by a LOT!

theres something wrong with that!

changes are necessary.

like DIESEL said, i predict that one will be gone when next season starts (either HARRINGTON or WALKER). walker seems like the most obvious option (since hes a FA and HARRINGTON is signed for a reasonable contract).

What you should expect is alot of losing and wild, inconsistent results. As in losing to charlotte by a lot. Losing to an undermanned NJ. Beating Houston. Being up 19 on a title-contending Indiana team before blowing it. Being up for alot of the game and hanging in until the last minute against an excellent Utah team. Getting our butts kicked silly by NY and then losing to them in double OT on some BS.

What you should expect is inconsistency and few wins.

• Premium Member

...what is it with people? I dunno. I guess I've just been watching this game for so long that I truly understand about the ups and downs. I watch the draft every year, I follow the top college prospects, I read the scouting reports, I follow the preseason, I follow the regular season, I watch the rookies...the vets...the over the hill... I watch it all and I understand the life cycle of teams from winning to losing.

When I hear the word "rebuilding", I think of a team that is starting from the ground up trying to change the face of a franchise. Maybe they sucked so bad that it was time to start over (like us) or maybe it was time to tear down the remnants of a proud era (like the Jazz). I've seen many teams rebuild...but never this one until now. People can say that the last 5 or so years we've been rebuilding...but Pete Babcock always found a way to "jump start" the rebuilding process by adding players that took us just out of the lottery, right below decent, and smack dab in the middle of mediocrity. And managed to throw away lottery picks in the process. I don't know about you, but I have no interest in going back there. It's a very bad drug and Atlanta needs to get off of it.

Now we get a guy to come in with a plan to allow this team to TRULY be torn down and rebuild step by step - and as soon as he lays a foundation down, people are up in arms crying about how things need to change.

Lascar is absolutely right. We cannot expect ANYTHING from this team but losses and learning. Doesn't matter to who or on what night. We lose, we trade players, we draft players, and one day...we'll be good enough to examine this club and say...

Okay, 'this' is what we need.

Until that day, we simply need to be patient.

• Premium Member

My point has been 20 games. For the coach maybe 1 and 1/2 seasons...

As a point of reference... Remember Detroit before getting Rasheed. They were good but not win it all good. Sometimes it's the personnell that makes all the difference. Every coach has a scheme, the question is does he have the personnell to pull it off. When I look at these Hawks, I don't see the final team... I see a team still in transition and I'm willing to wait for BK to say.... This is the team.. So until then, I don't focus on Woodson.

My focus is on Our players. There's no sense in us keeping players around who we know are not a part of that team that BK will present. In fact, we should try to get our younger players as much experience as possible if they are the ones. Dwayne Wade sat the bench for a moment, but then he played..

I think that's a successful strategy..