• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I can't believe I am saying this, BUT-

ATL_BALLER

I think Al is the one that must be moved, not AW. AW could very well be the (young) veteran to lead this franchise. Al and Smoov play similar styles, (though Smoov WILL do it better),whereas Toine brings the ballhandling and overall game. If we can sign Toine to a 4-5 year deal at a reasonable price, I say let's do it. If feasible under the cap, I think we should move AL to a team like the Knicks for their number 1.

2005-2006 Lineup:

Felton

Chill

Smoov

AW

Bogut

I'd be quite pleased with that squad. Of course, the alternative, if AW commands too much, is to let him walk, throw a ton of cash at Joe Johnson (he is a PLAYER!), and move Chill to the SF. I'd be equally thrilled with that team.

Thoughts?

Quote:

2005-2006 Lineup:

Felton

Chill

Smoov

AW

Bogut

I do not have a problem at all with that line up. Course getting both Felton and Bogut is going to be against a lot of odds. Would be great if it happens though!

Isn't it amazing how Antoine Walker has been transforming his reputation? Sometimes the press and the hype gets it all wrong. We acquired Walker as a cap saving room for next year, and as a possible trading chip. It was a good move, but it seems like he is making it difficult to go through with the original plan. I have been shocked to see how complete his game is, and how positive his attitude has been. He has been a true professional. What I expected was a malcontent, fat chucker.

I don't know if BK will give Walker the salary he will command, but if the market is soft for Walker it is exciting to think that he might be able to blossom here in the ATL. Big ups to #8.

Actually, Al is 24, right?

I agree. I don't see how Al doesn't have much value. I think he hhas more value than AW.

I also don't see how Al hasn't done what was expected of him, unless somebody expected him to come out and put up J. O'Neal numbers. I think 17 and 7 (with 46% fg!) for a 24 year old small forward makes him one of the more promising young players in the league. Remember, most players peak at 26-28, so there's a good chance he could be a 20 and 8 guy, given that he has the opportunity to take the shots.

• Premium Member

I say that in just, but if ONE HAS to be moved, I see more advantage in keeping Walker than Al...

Simply due to potential, contracts, and what we already have.

Like has been stated..

Smoove/AL play very similar games.

AW brings ball handling and long range/clutch shooting.

PLUS

Al would bring us more in a trade than Toine would.

I can imagine getting a lottery pick for Al...

I can't say the same for Toine...

That could be the difference in getting Bogut or getting Bogut/Felton or Bogut/Jack...

Al is a good player. I don't think anyone is disputing that. Fact is, we are log jammed at the 3. I don't think Al will be traded before the deadline unless we are overwhelmed by a deal. He is only signed thru next year though. Do you really think we're going to give him a big extension with all of these young small forwards we have on the roster who will most likely be ready to play by then? I don't see it happening. I think it's highly unlikely he's traded before the deadline, but I think it's very likely that he is traded next year or on draft night to better our position.

Lets take a look at the facts.

Childress might be better suited to play the 3, but he was drafted to be our Rip Hamilton (only bigger) and to play the 2. Thats where he will remain unless his jumper doesnt continue to improve.

Smooth is very athletic and quick and for all of his ability around the rim, isnt a traditional banger type suited to play the 4. He is likely to stay a 3 for the near future, but he could also slide to the 4 position when needed.

Harrington is a more traditional 4 than Smooth is. He is playing the 3 for us now, but its more out of neccessity than anything else. If Walker wasn't on this team Harrington would undoubtedly be playing the 4. His game is suited for the paint and he is a very similar player to Jermaine Oneal (although not as talented IMO).

Walker is getting up there in age (he is what, 6 years older than Harrington?) and has a lot of wear on his body for his age. I really like Walker and would love to see him stay, but the facts are that we have our 2,3,4 players for the next decade on the team and we desperately need a C and a PG. IMO it is FAR more likely that we move Walker because he has an attractive contract situation and could certainly put a team over the team. Someone is likely to cave and give us a talented young player or a 1st round pick in next years draft for him. If not we will try and SnT him the way that we did Jax last offseason. One way or another I can't see Walker sticking around for next season considering our team needs, his age, and the other players we have on the roster.

• Moderators

I think Al is a really good player and I like having him on the team. All I'm saying is that when you are shopping midseason trades can you get something significant for Harrington? Maybe, maybe not. But the one thing we know can bring us something significant in return is Walker.

Again I'm not saying Harrington isn't a good player, but how many small forwards are there in this league that could put up the same numbers as Al being the 2nd option on a bad team.

The other thing working against Al is expectation. He was picked by many if not most to have a 'breakout' season. While he's put up good numbers I don't think you can say its really been a breakout season. And while he is young he has been in the league for while and played on a good team. If you are looking for a trade what is he bringing to your team that you don't already have and how much is he going to improve.

As far as value goes he has much more value to us than he does as trade bait. I don't think his trade value is as high as we expect/want.

• Premium Member

It's tough to dislike a guy that plays so hard, produces so much, and leaves it all out there. And aside from his free throws, he's clutch too. He's a guy you can give the ball to at the last second and feel comfortable. I was REALLY hard on him before the season started. I was certain that he had no place here, but gradually his game just grew on me.

The only thing that concerns me is how long it's going to take for us to turn the ship around. If it takes too long, we'll be looking at a 33 - 35 year old Toine.

That may be the difference.

Walker is 28 - still very much in his prime. And I don't see the wear and tear that you're referring to - he continues to be extremely durable.

The fact is that with all the youth we currently have and will supplement, we need a veteran leader. And Toine is not Kevin Willis - he's still got the skills to be a very productive player over the life of his next contract-

that is a lot of wear and tear, especially considering that he has never played fewer than 78 games in a season (minus the lockout season). Al Harrington has only started playing major minutes the last 2.5 seasons and has a lot less miles on his body.

I am not saying that Toine is broken down or is injury prone or anything like that, but he is about to get his last big money contract and with all things equal, I would prefer to give the same money to Al.

• Premium Member

About Al...

Has Al even commented about staying in Atlanta beyond Next year?

What if we keep Al and he leaves next year after his contract is up?

That could happen. We would look like fools.

But also... ATL baller is correct... We can get more for Al Now... and he plays the same type game as Smoove.

What would really do it for me is IF we had a shot at Marvin Williams...

IF we got a chance to get Williams, I would goodbye to Al without worry if it meant getting another draft pick...

• Premium Member

Whoptidamndooo KB.. We have Harrington signed for 1 year...

Let's look at the facts now.

1. He's a low post Sf. For all your claims that he can play PF, he doesn't and haven't. Coach Mike doesn't like him playing PF... I wonder why?

2. He's never been on a losing team before now. Played for PTL and INDY... 2 winners. We don't know, he may loathe playing for us.

3. He and Smoove plays the same type game. What does that mean for the future?? Two guys doing the same thing. I will tell you what... Defenses drop down and dare us to shoot.

4. He's only signed for 1 more year. Your act is like we have a lifetime deal with Harrington. It's not. We will go through the same thing we're going through with Toine with Harrington AND there will be much better teams with more money than us vying for him.

5. Toine is not getting traded. Not unless we want to take back some albatross contracts.

6. Toine is a better compliment to Smoove. Toine can handle the ball, shoot, and pass at the 4 position.

In the real world, we probably will trade neither guy because they should compliment each other, but if we had to trade one, I say trade Harrington because we have other guys who can do what he does. But finding a 20/10 player with Walker's skillset is very difficult...

i honestly want to see us start Al at Pf and Smooth at Sf so we can REALLY see where we are at if Walker is traded. Al doesn't play Pf yet cuz Walker is here. But if we did trade Walker for something at the deadline, then I'd like to see Al at Pf to see how he handles it...

Quote:

Walker is getting up there in age (he is what, 6 years older than Harrington?) and has a lot of wear on his body for his age.

First off, Walker is 28, Harrington is 25(I think). I don't think 28-25 equal 6, my friend. grin.gif

Second, Walker has a lot of mileage(true) but he's very VERY VERY DURABLE and what helps is he's not much of a great Leaper. Kind of Like Charles Barkley who would never be mistaken for Dr.J back in the day.