• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta = Pathway to Championship....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Opps we did it again.

Once again, we have given a team the ammunition to become the NBA Champions... I think this is our legacy. We give the pieces needed to become a champion.

Last year it was Detroit.

This year could it be Boston?

I watched Boston Last night. I actually want to see more of them play. This is from a guy who has hated the Celtics since Bird-Nique game 6. I think however, that them re-adding Walker has made them immensely stronger. I know that they are giddy and high right now, but they are very strong. If they get GP back, I don't know if they could be beaten. Walker is doing the same thing he did with us; playing hard and doing what needs to be done to win. Here's how I see the playoffs breaking down.

Washington vs. Detroit.

Boston vs. Miami

I don't know if the seeds will lead to this, but this is what I see. I think that Detroit is the strongest team in the NBA. Really. Good coaching. Good three point shooting. Great Defense. The ability to play Halfcourt & Fast break game but most importantly they know how to control the tempo. I think that the matchup to watch is Detroit vs. San Antonio in the finals. (Sorry Shaq).

BUT Boston has all the tools to beat Detroit. They have an average defense and an unpredictable offense. That's important. Boston runs. Either Walker, Pierce, or Davis can lead the team in Scoring on any given night. They rebound well. I don't know what the hell is wrong with Blount and I'm glad we didn't take him but they have sneaky depth. Their young guys are good enough to get on the floor and contribute.

I think this year, the Easten conference playoffs will be fun......

First... Philly and Indy.... Who'd think they be where they are. Washington and Boston. Miami and Detroit. Finally I'm guessing NJ and Cleveland...

In short, there are all sorts of new rivalaries to be formed... Welcome to the East...

You are right on with your observation.

Too bad the organization can't help itself win a championship. However, it sure knows how to save money and be the punch line in jokes. I just saw that our Hawks were voted by the public on ESPN the worst organization in the NBA. I never thought the Clippers would be passed.

At least we have that going for us.

P

that's because the average fan is ignorant...

yes, we have sucked the past 10 years, but at least we've had a winning history in the past...and have had pete/bob/nique...

yes, we have the worst record, but we have:

the two joshes

al

cap space

ZERO bad contracts (only team in league?)

two first rounders

a decent gm that has a mission

we are in YEAR ONE of rebuilding...we are SUPPOSED to be the worst team in the league if we are doing it right...we tried for 10 years to be rebuild while being the 13th worst team in the league...that just doesn't work...

we have exciting young talent, flexibility, cap space, a new management team, and are rebuilding correctly...thus we have a FUTURE, so we aren't the worst organization in the nba...

again, the public is ignorant...

Let's hope so.

Even though I can't blame the public, for the simple fact we live in the what have you done for me lately society. The public isn't Hawk fans, they go by what they see. What they see is a 10 win team, so I can't necessarily blame them for thinking this way. Like I said they are not Hawk fans. If they are bad next year, which very well could they will be voted #1 again.

P

• Admin

They might make it interesting for the two contenders in the east (detroit and miami). But they aren't a contender for the title. They lack the defense, size and toughness to do it. Yah they got better by getting walker back. But they are still a player short from being championship contenders.

I also see Detroit and SA in the finals. Though I don't see Detroit as being the strongest team out there right now. You have to look at the teams they've beaten on their current streak. PLayoff teams yes, but not a serious contender in the bunch. I have to give the nod to SA. They are very similar teams that can play half court or up tempo and they have strong D and depth. But SA gets the nod because of Duncan. They win a lot of games without him HAVING to step up. But when they need a huge night, he delivers with either huge stats or by making clutch plays.

Quote:

ZERO bad contracts (only team in league?)

I wish. The only significant contract Charlotte will have on their books next year is Emeka Okafor. New Orleans is in real good shape now also after unloading Mashburn & Davis. Maglore is on their books, but I wouldn't say that is a bad contract.

• Premium Member

I don't think Miami is as good as advertised. I think Wade is good and I think Shaq is Shaq but they are a team that has very little depth, injuries, and no consistent rebounding outside of the big fella. Their PF position is shot. And they have old legs. Their saving grace is Jones for three. Otherwise they would be a horrid mix of a running team and a halfcourt team.

I think what you say about Boston is true, they lack defense. BUT, I think that they have what Cleveland doesn't have... Chemistry. You can't underestimate Boston's chemistry. I think only Detroit has more. Boston has three guys who can be lead scorer. Boston has two guys who don't mind taking a back seat. Boston have Walker who is clutch. Boston has Pierce who can go one on one with anybody. Boston seems to be getting GP which gives them a vet presence at PG. PLUS they got rookies who can contribute.

I don't doubt Detroit. I think ultimately that they will defend their championship. Even against the Spurs. BUT.... Boston could give them trouble. Look at the matchups... Who stops Pierce?

Quote:

I don't doubt Detroit. I think ultimately that they will defend their championship. Even against the Spurs. BUT.... Boston could give them trouble. Look at the matchups... Who stops Pierce?

Who stops Pierce? The Detroit Pistons excellent help defense will slow down Pierce. I also look for Tayshaun to give Pierce problems with his long arms. Boston is no more a contender than Milwaukee was last season. I'll take Washington, Miami, and Detroit over the Celtics.

• Admin

in a 7 game series. They're a good team. But they're paper thin. I'm not sure if anyone besides Shaq, Wade and Jones could start on ANY other NBA team. If the Karl Malone rumors had came true early in teh season, it would be a different story. They'd still have a super-thin bench. But they'd have a starting rotation that could match up with most anyone.

As for Boston/Detroit matchups, I think Browns take would be "we can't stop Pierce? We don't have to". And they'd put teh clamps on everyone else. They can make them a 2 dimensional team with Walker and PP having to do EVERYTHING. And back to GP, you saw what Billups and Hamilton did to him in the finals? He won't have an impact in that series. It's a series I could see going 6-7 games or just as easily being a 4 and out beat down for Boston.

I also see Detroit and SA in the finals. Though I don't see Detroit as being the strongest team out there right now. You have to look at the teams they've beaten on their current streak. PLayoff teams yes, but not a serious contender in the bunch. I have to give the nod to SA. They are very similar teams that can play half court or up tempo and they have strong D and depth. But SA gets the nod because of Duncan. They win a lot of games without him HAVING to step up. But when they need a huge night, he delivers with either huge stats or by making clutch plays.'

I see either SA vs. Miami or SA vs. Detroit.

SA vs. Miami would be better because of the Shaq/Duncan

factor. But I see little positive in a SPurs/Pistons

series and it would probably top the SAS/NJ finals

that was the worst that I have ever seen.

Paul Pierce? He's still a good player, but I think

he has droped from a level that he was at a few

seasons ago. Don't know if the stats reflect it,

but he just doesn't seem the same. Not only is

Boston a average defensive team, but the three

best players are low percentage shooters. Don't

think you can get away with those two things and

beat Detroit and Miami.