• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Willams,Andrew Bogut who is better pro ?

thescout10

I watched bogut play and wss impressive having remarkable passing ability,he rebounds,blocks shots and can scoreplus is a 7ft center.Marvin Williams started tov day had 20 ptss and 15 rebounds plus 2 assts.My question is who will be the better pro?Some players can play great in college yet be lost in the NBA due to the fast pace,and more athletic players.I think Bogut will be a fine NBA player but seeing Marvin Williams at least some of the game before CBS cut to another,makes me fill Marvin willaims has a chance to be a special player in the Pros.I know the Hawks need a center more thean power forward but Williams you can not overlook his ability.Given the choice if both are available in the NBA draft and the hawk's have the first pick I have to go with Williams.I know I have liked Bogut so much this year and he would not be a bad choice but Williams seems to have great athletic ability and will make more of a difference in the pros.If the hawks draft bogut I won't be terrbily upset since centers are very hard to find.This happens to be a draft where there are very few ipact franchise players so you take the best player for your club.Trade Harrington if that is what is needed to get Williams.

I like Marvin Williams the best. He comes of the bench and scores plenty of points and that's without the team running plays for him. Next year when mcants, may and felton are gone he probably will get the ball a lot more touches and will probably average over 20 points a game. Marvin is damn athletic and i see him as a player similar to Jason Richarson without the extraordinary atleticsm. He will average almost 25 points in the nba too. He is good on the boards too. However the biggest thing Bogut has going for him is his size and bball IQ and a lot of teams are desperate for size so he will be drafted first.

I think they are both very, very good. I hope MW comes out so we won't feel so much pressure to get the #1 pick. If he comes out, I will feel OK about getting the #2 pick. If he doesn't, the #2 spot is really sketchy.

As to who will go #1, I dunno, but I'd put my money on Bogut. I think Williams has a better chance to be a superstar, though.

Here's a question for you: If we draft Williams, what do we do with 4 star quality SF's? Harrington, Smith, Childress, Williams....

Childress can play the 2 and Harrington or Smith the 4, I guess.

Quote:

Here's a question for you: If we draft Williams, what do we do with 4 star quality SF's? Harrington, Smith, Childress, Williams....

That's a good question and I think BK will take the "best player" available. Williams comes out, we could end up with four "sf" size players (five counting Donta).

I hope we do not have to choose between the two. I have no idea whats going to happen on draft night. Some say there are only three sure fire picks and then you hear all this talk about this draft being one of the deepest in years.

Totally confusing to me. Guess that is why GM'S get paid so much. Think it also the reason why their jobs are not the most secure either.

This is the deepest draft maybe ever for point guards which we know the hawks depserately need but also the hawks need size.I don't think the point guards have seperated themselves from one another meaning taking a big guy if they get no1 pick on williams and bogut would be the best thing.

• Premium Member

Defense. Defense. Defense.

The Hawks main problem is interior defense. All Europlayers are weak defensively (except AK-47). Bogut has not show me that he is a strong defender nor a deterent to people flashing in the lane. This is on the college level against so-so competition.

If our main problem is interior defense. How does Bogut help us? Let's all agree, we don't have problems scoring. Our problems arise from stopping other teams from scoring on us.

With that in mind, until Bogut shows something in the way of being a good defender, I think we go with the player with the highest ceiling. If that's Williams take him, if that's Paul take him.

I think we can solve the interior defense problem in FAcy...

Sheldon Williams is an intrguing player from Duke.I doubt if Simeon is there in the second round but Williams and either Simeon or Williams playing center would certainly help.I am starting to wonder if free agency will even help.Most free agents avoid the Hawk's like the plague despite offering more money than other teams.We may have to build through the draft through next year to really set up a team of the future.Building a team of the future without free agents wanting to come takes longer but in the end should see a big payoff for being dormats of the NBA for a few years.

Quote:

Williams is 6ft9. Richardson is only 6ft5. He is T-Mac like but is more team oriented. He has a much higher ceiling than Bogut because of his athleticism.

I disagree on the ceiling factor for Bogut. Its obvious that Williams could be a T-Mac but Bogut could be much more than a Vlade Divac as well.

I think they both have high ceilings and a worst case for Bogut is he ends up as good as Vlade was in his prime. Best case he is a 20pts, 10boards, 2blks and 3-5 assist guy.

After this last game where he almost got a triple double, he showed me something I did not know he had. The upside to be Garnett like but from the center position.

I will not question anyone BK takes with our first pick. When you are talking upside its always a gamble. I just hope whoever it is, he reaches their upside so we can start winning again.

I think both Bogut and Williams are winners. They both will do whatever it takes to get better and also make their team better.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think both Bogut and Williams are winners. They both will do whatever it takes to get better and also make their team better.

Agreed. And I would add Chris Paul in there as well.

Personally, I would be happy with any of those three players. I would prefer Bogut or Paul because they fill a need, but beggars can't be choosers.

Quote:

Agreed. And I would add Chris Paul in there as well.

Paul will try (I have never doubted his effort) and I will not doubt BK's pick of him. But he scares me the most out of all three just because of his size.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah but Shelden Williams is right now a late lottery to mid first rounder.

By who's tally? You just can't look at one mock's statement about a player right now and say... He's a late lottery or mid first rounder. Remember, last year at this time, the mocks said that it would be:

Howards, Smith, Livingston.

Then Okafor and Gordon won the National title and they moved up. Then there began to be questions about Smoove in the Phoenix workout and he moved out of the top 10.

By 2 months from now... It's possible that the whole mock that you base your opinion on could be changed.

Like I said before, you have to look at who is a better fit for the Hawks with the best talent. It could be Shelden Williams. It could be MW. It could be Bogut... But if you rely on somebody else's opinion and not the facts of the matter, you may be sorely disappointed.

Quote:

Most free agents avoid the Hawk's like the plague despite offering more money than other teams.

?

who did we offer more money to last summer?

we offered the same for kmart as denver...so he chose denver

we offered way less for damp than dallas...so he chose dallas

just because we had the most money doesn't mean we offered it up to everyone...there was nobody that we offered more than anyone else and they went elsewhere...

it'll be similiar this summer prolly as well...charlotte will offer the same or more for swift...cle/mil/sonics will offer same or more for redd/ray ray...

wash will offer same or more for hughes...

but we have yet to get dissed after offering to pay more...$$$ speaks

• Premium Member

Nicholas, I definitely agree with you.

I think the lesson was shown last year that Money is what drives FAs. Look at what happened in Cleveland. Boozer had a deal. Utah offered more money. Boozer gave up Loyalty, privelage, and comfort and took the money.

As a city, Atlanta has more to offer than Utah. With BK, we have more money to offer than anybody else. I don't think he has gotten us this far under the cap to ignore the FAcy market.

I think we can expect him to make an offer for Swift at the least..

• Premium Member

What's the big deal with Marvin Williams? I've seen a few UNC games and while he is very talented, his game seems identical to Al Harrignton's. Why would BK draft a player that we really don't need? He may have the most "upside" but he doesn't address the biggest deficiency that this team has: A solid post presence. That's something that the Hawks haven't had since Lenny Wilkens was coaching them.

Marvin Williams will definately be a star, no doubt.

However, he plays the exact same position as Josh Childress and Josh Smith.

So the question is: How bad do you want the BPA?

Marvin is like a hybrid of KG and Marion. He plays like KG, but is not as long, and not the elite level that KG is. Poor Man's KG, that is 6'9". That is a 3, to me. We already have 2 SF's who are starting material, at the moment.

• Admin

We need two positions, PG and C. Those are our two most pressing needs, period. We need to be looking at the best players available at those positions. If we have the #1 pick, we still pick that way. Whether it means taking a player a little high to be sure or trading down and taking the gamble that we might get screwed.

So it really doesn't matter who will be better in the NBA. We're not stockpiling young talent any more. We have young talent, now we need to fill specific holes with more talent, build a bench and start learning how to play the game as a team.

Quote:

We're not stockpiling young talent any more.

I understand what you are saying. I have been a Bogut fan since day one. But if there is a next great player setting there, we have to take him.

From what I have seen and read I still like Bogut. But if Williams or anyone else just blows BK and his scouts away in the tourney, workouts etc. . . , we have to take him and trade people later.