smithrules

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Now...

Green will start to move up the Mocks...

6 3 pters....

24 points...

Total domination on this level...

Who's your #1 now?

Like I have been saying... Don't make up your mind until the workouts are over.

As of right now I have Bogut #1. He seems to be one of the most talented in this draft and he has the size we need at C.

The player I want the most in this draft is Felton, because I think he would fit our style very well. He's 6'1'' and long with good defense and can run a team and is the best at running the break in the country.

He along with Harrington, Smith, and Childress would be quite a show. We would still need to upgrade at Center...maybe a stopgap for next year in FA then draft one in next years draft or sign one of the young guys to man the spot for the future.

I would have to trade down for Felton though. He doesn't desearve #1 overall.

First i watched him win the slam dunk contest. He did the vince arm in the rim dunk. And he did the bounce the ball off the floor between the leg dunk. Then hes lighting it up from 3 point land. Hes already better than Tmac was at the same age. I really don't think you could pass him over.

• Premium Member

The question was asked is there any potential superstars in the draft.

I think that there are 3 (if they declare). Williams, Paul, and Green.

If we were able to trade down and work out 2 lottery picks..

i would take Green/Williams.

Gerald Green was very impressive with his 3 point shooting and also in the dunk contest, but he doesnt seem to have the handles right now he needs a lot of work on that, but i do think he has the most potential in the entire draft, and id be perfectly ok with taking him with the first pick, i think i may actually even prefer that

OK lets say the hawks draft green then what do you get for josh childress since he needs to start and josh smith is the small forward? Could the hawks get a top 7 pick and draft deron williams or felton? If they did get either one we still have no power forward and no center so we are starting back over and not adding alot to the team.The Hawks main weakness is interior defense and trading guards for guards won't do it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Now...

Green will start to move up the Mocks...

6 3 pters....

24 points...

Total domination on this level...

This is from scouts at the game.

"I keep reading that Louis Williams is a lottery pick and that Gerald Green is the next Tracy McGrady," one Eastern Conference GM said, "and I just don't see it. I think we all want to see it, because without three or four really good high school prospects, the draft is pretty slim. But to be honest, I haven't seen anyone I would use a first-round pick on. They just aren't ready, which makes you wonder why so many of us are here. Maybe if we hope loud enough or hard enough, someone will emerge."

Said another, "This class is dangerous. There's probably a sleeper here. And there's three or four guys here who are going to get someone fired."

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Dish: "He's a blessing in disguise. He's one of those guys who wants to learn. He's so concentrated on developing his game and he's been asking me about what he needs to work on. And whatever you tell him to do, he'll do it." -Gulf Shores Coach Ken Williams

Quote:

Great athlete with nice stroke… size makes him difficult to defend… very coachable… desire to be a great player… could bulk up some more

Quote:

Scouting Report- The 6-8 Green is a long, athletic wing that can play either wing spot. Green is a good shooter, with NBA range on his true jump-shot. Green is a big-time athlete that sports a near 40-inch vertical leap. Green can create his own shot anytime he wants, and scores a lot of his points off of catch and shoot and pull-up jumpers. He has a tough fade-away in his arsenal that is simply impossible to stop. The 6-8 sky walker, is extremely athletic and puts down highlight reel slams (between the legs, 360's). He will need to get stronger, and then should become better at going to the hole and finishing in the paint. Green has the tools to be a solid defensive player.

Green was named Co-MVP of the Reebok ABCD All-Star game, in which he scored 27 points while connecting on 12-16 shots (3-4 threes). He led the ABCD Camp in scoring at just over 19 points per game. The 6-8 wing reminds us most of James Posey.

Quote:

ELL

His grandmother is gone now. But Gerald Green never has forgotten the last pearl of advice that she offered him. "Never give up on your dream, she said. "He was so eager to succeed that he even cut off his braids.''

Green appreciates how Michael Jordan felt. He was cut from his high school basketball team. Not once, but twice. Now, two years later, the 6-8 dunkmeister from Houston, Texas, is considered the best bet among all teenagers in the country to be picked in the first round of the NBA draft.

What happened? How did Green evolve from a two-time reject to a 25-foot jump shooter? Green credits his AAU coach, Rick Nelson, and his decision to transfer to a private school for the dramatic turnaround.

Last spring, Green played in two major tournaments and couldn't understand why college coaches and scouts criticized his performance. Most agreed he was an outstanding shooter with enormous athleticism. But he couldn't rebound or defend or handle the ball.

"If you want to be really good, call me and we'll go to work,'' Nelson told Green.

Green called Nelson at midnight. "I really want to be good,'' he said.

A week later, they went into the gym. Green worked out twice a day, at 6 in the morning and 6 at night. He stayed until he could execute all the drills 8 to 10 times in a row without making a mistake. Later, at the Reebok/ABCD camp in New Jersey, he vowed he would be the MVP -- and he was.

Since then, Green has taken the country by storm. No one has been more impressive. "He is a young Tracy McGrady with a jump shot. I've seen all of the top players -- Monta Ellis, Josh McRoberts, Louis Williams. All of them are great. But Green is the best because of what he does at his size. He can shoot and put the ball on the floor,'' Nelson said.

Critics will have an opportunity to evaluate for themselves when Green performs in the Roundball Classic on March 22 at the United Center. McRoberts and Ellis will be there, too.

Nobody has made more progress in such a short time. Since transferring from a public school to Gulf Shores Academy after the first semester of his junior year in 2003 -- he was reclassified as a sophomore -- Green has improved

his academics (3.7 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale), earned a scholarship to Oklahoma State and acquired a nickname, G Money.

"I wanted to try something new,'' he said. "Things weren't working out for me at [the public school]. Gulf Shores is a better place for me, academically and athletically.

"Sure, it bothers me that we can't play for the state championship because we are a prep school. But winning a state title doesn't mean you will go to college. We play all over the country and get a lot of exposure.

I never thought I'd get a college scholarship until I transferred.''

"He is one of the most spectacular, explosive athletes in the class,'' recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons said. "He is a bigger version of [former Farragut star] Ronnie Fields with grades.''

"I wonder if I'm really as good as people say,'' Green said. "What does it all say? I tell people not to give up on your dream, no matter how late it is. It worked out for me. I hope it works out for other people.''

• Premium Member

Why is it that everytime a name comes up that's not Bogut...

There's a select group that comes out to try to discredit that name. Green had one of the more dominant MAAGs that I have seen in a long while. He has a history of ptting in work... But there's a select few that would make you think that he's a loafer or something...

Unfortunately, I think Green Might go to OSU instead of the NBA... However, if he comes out, he's a guy who has Superstar potential. I don't think you have many players like that in this draft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why is it that everytime a name comes up that's not Bogut...

There's a select group that comes out to try to discredit that name

Quite the opposite! You are the one that always come up with some alternative plan such as trading down, signing K Brown, selecting another wing player to add to our collection rather than drafting Bogut. You are the one that will watch Bogut play and make up things just criticize him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Jeremy Osborne

Green was easily the most impressive player in the McDonalds All American game. He showed a true combination of athletic ability and general basketball skill. Green wowed people in the dunk competition, he threw down dunks that were eerily similar to performances Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady had in dunk contests. He just seems to explode off the ground, hanging in the air, getting great elevation with a certain smoothness that just can’t be described. He showed great range during the game by hitting 6 three-point shots, with a very nice stroke and follow through, good elevation on his jumper, and even shooting and making it off the dribble at times. He showed an advanced ability to use ball fakes and jab steps to free himself for open jump shots. Comparing him to last year's aerial artist and three-point shooter extraordinaire JR Smith, Gerald Green is a better ball handler than Smith is and he is more of a fluid and agile athlete in general.

I like Green's creativeness and intelligence as a basketball player, not only in the air going to the hoop but also in terms of how he creates shots for himself off the dribble. Just in terms of pure body language, Green seems to have it in terms of swagger and confidence. He has a cockiness about him and his body language that tells you that he knows he is a great player and has absolute confidence in his abilities. With that said, he had no problem getting his teammates involved when his shot was just not there.

Jonathan Watters

Once again showed the insane natural tools that make him a lock lotto pick in this draft. Has more hops than any HS guy in last year's draft, and tonight he showed that he has the shot. He gets his shot off quickly, and my oh my is it pretty! Quite frankly, I don't see why Green can't go in the top 5. Nearly everybody in the lotto at the moment has some serious downside, and Green is ALL upside. He blew every other prospect out of the water, and that driving dunk that he got fouled on and still threw down on was just unreal. What a prospect!

An NBA scouts take: “Green helped himself more than anyone tonight. He left no doubt in my mind who the best player on the floor was. If he wants to go to college that’s fine, but he’s probably a top 10 pick should he decide to come out”.

• Premium Member

The point I have made since the beginning is:

We are not out of the talent procurement stage.

We are not in the stage where we are looking for the "final Piece".

We should take a "good" player JUST because he plays a certain position when there are potential Superstars...

We shouldn't take the Bowie over Jordan.

There are too many big men in FAcy that will suffice... We shouldn't miss out on a Superstar just to get a C that lacks athleticism.

However, look at yourself.

Nobody attack Bogut. But everyone before you posted your "Questionable" information was praising Green.

Had you watched the MAAHSG, you would have praise for Green too.

Instead, you wanted to try to tarnish Green's image?

WHY?

Why couldn't the Hawks have Childress come off the bench as a sixth man. I am not saying next year but after Green gets a year under his belt. But a rotation of J.Smith at the 3 and G. Green at the 2, with J. Childress backing up both positions and you could get a lot of minutes for all three players. Smith and Green could be the V. Carter and T. Mac combo with Childress being the Pippen mode. That would be a good rotation and building block to me. With the early second, you find a junior or senior power forward or PG and add a big body in Free Agency and draft for a PG the following year. 3 years from now this team would be ready to roll like the Suns.

if we get the #1 pick, then i want bogut

if we get the 2,3,4, then i'm looking at green and marvin and deron and splitter

if we got the 4th pick due to luck, then i'd see if i could trade al for a high enough pick to get felton/deron/jack/ukic...

then i'd take green and get jack (assuming felton/deron are gone by this point)...

i'd move smoove to his natural pf position (he's NOT a sf for the 10032432 time)

i'd move chill to his more natural sf position (tho he can play sg as well)

jack/green/chill/smoove/c

i'd go hard after chandler and dalembert and swift...try to get at least 2 of those 3...or even kwame and either chandler or dalembert if we can't get 2 of those 3...

i'd also sign jaric if possible

green could be a better jr smith, then that's a 20-30ppg player with an outside shot waiting to happen...

chill/smoove/chandler/dalembert can get plenty of rebounds...smoove/chandler/dalembert can man the paint...chill can slash, as will green with strength...jack/jaric will distribute and also hit the open jumper...

woody can teach green to defend

but if we get #1, i'm still taking bogut and then going after hughes/johnson in addition to chandler/dalembert and jaric

and i'm still looking to trade al for a high pick to get that pg

washington traded the #5 pick for jamison, so al could even get us a top 5 pick!

then we trade lakers first and a 2nd to get a low 1st rounder to get ukic or jack

bogut/green/jack...

bogut/green/ukic...

talk about a good draft

sign jaric and chandler and dalembert