New Batman movie getting great reviews

Plainview1981

• Admin

Nolan was the right guy to direct and finally the movie is more serious and darker then what the Batman movies previously were. I was happy to hear that the guy who directed Momento was going to do Batman.

I hated the last 2 Batman movies...especially teh last one. Hockey players as henchmen and Batman and Robin with skates on their boots. Give me a break.

This could be a start of a whole new Batman franchise of films. It certainly is going in the right direction.

• Premium Member

Christian Bale is Bruce without even trying, and he does a decent job of being Batman - untill he tries to be dark and foreboding. The Dark Knight, which they were clearly going for, has a very intimidating persona and Bale couldn't quite nail it. Didn't take much away from his performance though.

This is Batman as it SHOULD be told.

And I can't wait until they uload the real version of this guy...

joker.png

I don't think average joe movie-goer is quite ready for him! lol I hope they don't hold back!

hmmm. initially I would say 'no way, he'll ruin the franchise'...until I recalled his performance in Charlie's Angel as the 'toothpick dude.' Not that the movie was great by any stretch, but I recall seeing him in the flick and saying, 'wow, I can't believe he pulled this off as well as he did.'

• Premium Member

Yeah, I've seen him in quite a few flicks and he does a pretty good job of being weird. I don't know though. The Joker more than weird. He is truly a sick character. Beyond sick...lol.

The thing about Joker is that he's a scumbag and a thug...he's vile and depraved, and completely insanse, but has a definite flair about him. It's a hard act to balance (which Nicholson did for his part), but the most important aspect has to be nailing that Joker pizazz. Crispin seems better suited for more introverted characters.

...but if Bale can pull of Batman, I'm sure Crispin could do Joker with these guys behind the film.

Batman FINALLY Begins dammit!!!

Saw it yesterday afternoon. It was really good (though

it took a very longtime to become Batman) until it went

and got cheesy at the very end. I thought it would get

through the whole movie without resorting to cheese..

But it did at the end.

Holmes wasn't a terrible actress... She just didn't

have the presence to fill the role as Bruces girl.

Really though I'm glad they kept the love stuff with

the Bruce Wayne side and not the Batman side.

The fight scenes happend quick and I think it's cause

they wanted to keep character development as more of

a focus.

I think Michael Caine was underrated. He provided some

fairly good humor at times.

i got a few comments- i just watched it today

1) Batman- i wasnt natural. they were definitely going for the "badass" look- and i didnt think he pulled it off. i mean, it wasnt HORRIBLE. but just wasnt as great as i thought id be- maybe u guys just hyped it up too much for me?

2) Holmes- im not a big katie holmes fan, but i think she did a great job. Alfred + Morgan Freeman + Commisioner Gordon were great as well.

3) BIG THING HERE- does the story fit the comic book or did they modify it like CRAZY????

like i thought JOKER killed Bruce Waynes parents. and wats his about BRUCE WAYNE going to prison for several years and learning to fight, training in the mountains?

4) Fight scenes- i know theyre going for "BATMAN IS INVINSIBLE" attitude... but i couldnt even keep up with wat batman was doing. lol- u know what im talkin about? or is this jsut me.

-----------------------------------------

overall i liked it. it was quite entertaining, and i love the dark SIDE of batman. but it could have been better. i also think they could have easily made it "darker" and go for the R-RATING (like the punisher)- but then again that would lose lotta the general audience (middle/high schoolers and such).

i say SPIDERMAN is better tho (the movie that is).

INVINSIBLE"

It didn't come off that way to me. I thought when when

he got on fire and jumped out the window the whole thing

made him look alittle beatable.

Quote:

4) Fight scenes- i know theyre going for "BATMAN IS INVINSIBLE" attitude... but i couldnt even keep up with wat batman was doing. lol- u know what im talkin about? or is this jsut me.

I believe they just tried hard to keep the movie from

being about the fighting action. And I used to read

comic books, but it's been a while. About Spiderman..

Don't really like Spiderman... He is simply too cart-

oonish for my taste.

• Admin

1. his look was supposed imposing, which they nailed. Batman doesn't have super powers. He relies on technology, fear and instincts to win. This is also why the audience never gets a really good look at him either.

2. Holmes wasn't bad as an actress. She just wasn't a strong character or a strong enough actress to make the character stand out.

3. yes, it was based off the comic books. Batman has had several origin stories. THe movie was based off the "year one" series. Some parts are very faithful to the books, some were changed slightly. Katie Holmes character is the only one that hasn't been in the comics before.

4. That is how batman fights. While he is a comic book character, he has always been based portrayed in such a way to make him feel real. That's why he doesn't have superpowers. He's not a toe to toe, face off with unbeatable odds and win character. He uses fear, darkness, technology and gorilla tactics to win.

They set out to make the character extremely real and lifelike. That's why EVERYTHING in the movie is explained. From his gadgets to his reason for choosing a bat as his persona to his training.

Quote:

1. his look was supposed imposing, which they nailed. Batman doesn't have super powers. He relies on technology, fear and instincts to win. This is also why the audience never gets a really good look at him either.

2. Holmes wasn't bad as an actress. She just wasn't a strong character or a strong enough actress to make the character stand out.

3. yes, it was based off the comic books. Batman has had several origin stories. THe movie was based off the "year one" series. Some parts are very faithful to the books, some were changed slightly. Katie Holmes character is the only one that hasn't been in the comics before.

4. That is how batman fights. While he is a comic book character, he has always been based portrayed in such a way to make him feel real. That's why he doesn't have superpowers. He's not a toe to toe, face off with unbeatable odds and win character. He uses fear, darkness, technology and gorilla tactics to win.

They set out to make the character extremely real and lifelike. That's why EVERYTHING in the movie is explained. From his gadgets to his reason for choosing a bat as his persona to his training.

Yep. That's about what I was trying to say.

• Premium Member

They pretty much nailed the look of the Darknight, and his scare tactics; but to me Bale tried too hard to sell that dark persona - and it just didn't quite come through. I don't know if it's that bit of a lisp he has or what, but I just wasn't convinced. WHile enjoyed this movie, and a couple of the other Batman movies, I don't think anyone has been able to pull off the dark side of Bruce. This is close though.

As far as Bale being Bruce, oh man...he was damn near perfect; especially for the younger, confused, and angry Bruce Wayne. Awesome.

Joker was always just a hired gun. I'm not sure if he always worked for the goons who tried to intimidate the Waynes, but he wasn't the killer who created Batman. It's actually the other way around and Joker blames the Batman for his misfortune.

Bruce's history is wild before he settled down and became the Batman, but he did travel the globe and train extensively. I don't know if it was in his original sotrylines (like back in the 40's and 50's), but Ninjitsu, Ras Al Gul, and the League of Shadows is a part of the current Dark Knight's storyline.

Fighting... Hah...! Yeah, see...Keaton's Batman flick got some of it right; the rest followed that "BAM" / "POW" family goodness from the 60's representation of Batman. The Dark Knight fights and moves like a ninja. His enemies rarely know what the f#ck hit 'em...literally, because he moves so fast and (unless he needs something) the moment the fight is done, Batman has disappeared into the shadow. And they got that down PERFECTLY.

I liked Spiderman better too - especially the sequel. But Batman is a better character. He's not really a superhero. He's just a man, a physically fragile mortal, who pushed himself beyond his limits, has all the money in the world, and the right connections.

LoL...if you think this was confusing, then just wait until you see Batman meet Superman.