• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

That rumor is really worrying me

Admin

I am hoping that its just a smoke screen that Billy has put out to let the other teams know that they better come big or not come at all. I am not opposed to taking any of the top 4 guys with our pick, or even trading down for one of them.....but if we move to 5 it had better be because Paul or Deron is still there and because there is a player we really wanted at 13.

The Hawks could go so many diffferent directions. I would hate to think anything is etched in stone at this point. If they do in fact pick up felton, I'd like to see someone like warrick here(with the other pick.) I mean if you want a stromile swift type player, he is it(hes also listed at 6'9 on draft express.) He could be a nice addition off the bench. I just really hope Sean May isnt here. He doesnt fit the long athletic guy the hawks seem to seek. I dont beleive may has what it takes to run and gun on a consistent basis. Its all just specualation and we have no idea what portland or new orleans will do and im sure thats gonna dictate what the hawks do.

Over and over, I've said, "Hawks really need a Tractor

Trailer type player who can go in and take up space,

rebound and put a stop to teams simply blowing open the

lane and going in for layup after layup." Once this

frenzy feeding starts in the lane, Hawks always seemed

doomed after that for the rest of the game.

From what little I observed of Sean May, I believe he is that type player. He is big and strong. It would be

hard to run over the top of him or push him out of

position and "Have your Way" with your inside game.

He won't be available at #31. It would all depend on

"The trade" happening and who becomes available when

the second 1st round pick becomes available. We could

do a lot worse than Sean May, I believe.

smirk.gif

Wasn't trying to talk bad about the guy. Just saying

that he is the same type player. That he was built in

the fashion to get the job done that I had in mind.

So, if he isn't even in the same zip code, talent wise,

but is so much better, great! I haven't got a problem

with that. But, can he do what I was talking about?

Can he rebound? Can he fill the lane on defense and

put a stop to the "Who's next?" slam dunk fest that

sometimes takes place against the Hawks? Can he shoot

some from inside and get some put back points?

Is he big enough to not get run over or shoved around

when he's inside?

A Tractor Trailer type player. If he has 10 times more

talent, wonderful. But we still need a player to do this.

tongue.gif

Hakim Warrick is another athletic 6'9 tweener just like two players we already have named Josh Smith & Al Harrington. His game is almost identical to both of them. He can't shoot all that well, but plays above the rim and around the basket very well. Why create more log jam at a spot that we're already very deep at?

is nothing like anybody that we have on our roster and honestly only Darius Miles comes to mind as having a similar game. Miles is better on the break, Warrick is better in the paint. Both are extremely thin, long armed athletes who get a lot of lift off the ground. Warrick has one move and that is to spin and spin and spin and then shoot the turn around. Other than that he is nothing but putbacks and the occassional jumper. Actually I suppose that his game is similar to Swift as well, but Warrick probably has a better turn around jumper.

Al has a MUCH more developed post game, which seems to be serious underappreciated by Hawks fans for some reason. Smooth has a better stroke on his jumpshot and probably about the same ability in the paint. Both are more active than Warrick is though.

I have seen Warrick play all of his years at Syracuse and I wouldnt take him. He doesnt have the ability to be a go to player and in my mind will never be more than a Swift type of player off the bench.

Marvin Williams creates more of a logjam than Hakim Warrick(if atl keeps al and smoov.) If Warrick is comming of the bench behind Al and Josh Smith I wouldn't exactley call that a log jam. And also Marvin Williams has no defined position, so this tweener label can be put on him as well. I mean this team is interested in players like stromile swift, Warrick is the same type of player. If you are looking for a big at #13 because u took a point guard in the top 5(via charlotte), hes not gonna have all the skills that someone in the top 5 might have. But he is 6'9, can run the floor, can score and would be a nice addition to this team.

Quote:

Hawks fans are just scared because he has a
chance
of being better than their golden boy Josh Smith.

For the #2 pick and Josh a #17 pick. He better surpass Josh. Especially when we have the choice of possibly 3 franchise point guards. My fear is if Marvin is a miss than we will look way worse than Portland with Jordan.

They had one chance at making the right pick with Jordan, we may have 3 chances.

Unlike the Pistons when they had the #2 pick, with the situation the Hawks are in, the #2 pick should becomes the face of the franchise. If we pick Marvin but choose to still market Josh as the face of the franchise we may as well pick a player that can make Smith better.

How many teams have the second best or second most promising player on the team as the face of the franchise. This isn't baseball or the NFl. This is a star driven league.

Quote:

How many teams have the second best or second most promising player on the team as the face of the franchise. This isn't baseball or the NFl. This is a star driven league.

We are drafting Marvin based on what he is expected to produce in a number of years, not immediately. So I would expect Josh Smith to still get plenty of attention. I'm sure the ads wil run "come see #2 overall pick Marvin, and reigning dunk champ Josh Smith...". Even if Marvin becomes one of the best players in the league, it won't change the fact that Josh is one of the flashiest dunkers in the league, and people love dunks.

I wouldn't worry about who we're going to promote. This is about trying to build a winner, a contender

• Premium Member

I agree with your assessment of May. I believe you have to have a strong PF who takes up space under the basket. May has both hands for offense and gets excellent position.

I hope the Hawks Draft Marvin Williams and find a way to trade Harrington for a pic to get May.

• Premium Member

I don't disagree with you. My point is if we can get Marvin and May I like that alot. YOur point is well taken there is not often that PG's like Paul, Deron, and Felton are available. I just think May is a low post PF that has not been in the draft for a few years. I would also hate to pass up the talent of Marvin Williams.

I don't see us getting a Marvin Williams and a point guard. That is what is comes down to. Marvin vs a PG. I assume you would go for the point guard?

but it seems to me you add to the logjam too much. Even accepting chill as a 2, our core for the future would be

?

chill

smith

williams/harrington

?

If williams and smith both start, one of them is a PF. Drafting another PF makes no sense to me then.

Is

?

chill

smith

williams/may

?

really better than

jack (Ukic?)

chill

smith

williams

?

not to me. I'd only take may if I take a PG with the 1st pick.

• Premium Member

So there is a breaking point??

Well at least for you... You see the problem with coming in this draft needing a PG/C and leaving this draft possibly with 3 more forwards.

I really don't think MWilliams has distanced himself from any of the others. I just think he has some potential but a lot of hype...

His shooting percentage is not something that great. In the same system, the guy playing in front of him shot 54%.. Which was better than Marvin's 50%. I think it speaks more to the system than the player...

Yeah.. But where do you plan to play all these guys and what do you do about our real problems???

KB has gone on the record in saying that he would take Williams this year and Gay next. Truly he has missed the boat.

I don't think he has the strength that Stromile has to hold his own on the block. No doubt he has the legnth & the hops to challenge shots, but I can see him getting backed down by some of the better 4's in the league. (Randolph, Sheed, Kurt Thomas, Walker, etc) I watched 3 or 4 Cuse games last year and Warrick was great in the open floor and driving to the basket because of his dominant athleticism. I should have used the word similar rather than identical when comparing to Smoove & Al because they all of some similar aspects in that they are all 6'9, good finishers in transition & none of them have what I'd call a great stroke, but they have shots they like to take. (Smoove's seems to be developing a nice shot from about 20 and Al has that little baseline fade from about 15)

I'm not on the Marvin bandwagon, but your correct about the logjam thing with him also. He just has way more potential than Warrick. If we draft a big at 13, I'd rather get May, CharlieV, Bynum or even Taft.

Yeah to me there is absolutely a breaking point. Both from pick to pick and from year to year. If we take Marvin this year (no trades) our first pick next year has to be a PG or a C (except if some crazy scenario comes up with no one remotely worthy at that position). I don't plan on taking Gay.

Again, you bring up Marvin's teammates' stats, and ignore the fact that

a) his teammate (May) confirmed he is easily the best of the bunch

b) he is being recruited for skills, attitude and potential, not accomplishments. He accepted a lesser road on a championship team.

so that's a dead issue to basically everyone but you.

To me, if it is a 2-deep draft and you get a #2 pick, you go for it. You truly have a chance at a superstar. To me, Marvin has a chance at being a true superstar, while no one projected behind him really does at this point. Whether it pans out or not is a different story. If you have a pick in the teens, it's different. Most players in that area have similar talent levels, and similar chances at blossoming into stars (or not). At that point, you can afford to draft for need, especially when you have made your need even more important with your first pick.

Jack is more likely to be an all-star than May in my book. I know others will disagree, but they're certainly roughly of the same caliber. Either one can be a top 10 pick, either one can slip to a late first rounder. I'll take my chances with the best fit.

If we had the #4 pick I wouldn't be saying maybe we should take a shot on Green because of his upside. But given the fact that most agree that Marvin is projected to be the best player in this draft in the long run, I can't overlook that to draft for need.

• Premium Member

May is a PF in a SF body. His stock is SO overrated right now it's making me sick.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his offensive moves in the post, but he was often guarded by guys without the size, talent, or defensive abilities that he will be up against in the NBA.

I can't understand why Bogut - a legit 7'0 - gets criticized for playing vs. weaker, shorter opponents, but May gets a free pass. My guess is the ACC bias on this board.

IMO, he's Corliss Williamson II.