• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 3 camps of Hawksquawkers

tmac13

The Positive Guys..They believe Billy Knight is the greatest basketball mind of all time..The believe he is incapable of making a mistake in any area, draft choices, free agents, trades, or coaching selections..They get extremely angry if a guy on a website slights the Hawks in a draft grade..They get giddy when someone gives them a good grade..Most of these guys also think Pete Babcock is the devil.These guys tend to ignor records and facts and chaulk up any action up to the "team building process".They don't want to talk about the playoffs, they only want to win the championship..

The Negative Guys..These guys think BK is an idiot..They put a negative twist on any action..These guys seem to be more single player fans than Hawk fans..We have even seen some of them come and go with players we traded for then moved on. They also seem to be younger guys that can't really remember any decent Hawks seasons..All they know is the losing and they are sick of it.

The Realists..This is a wider group..They are the guys that argue with the positives and negatives..These guys generally see both the good and bad and don't get too upset either way..Sometimes you will see these posters bait the positves or negatives because it is so easy to get them riled..The realists also want to win a championship, but would be happy to see some progress year to year..The realist like most of BK's moves, but are also aware he had made a few errors especially with retaining a few guys that he gave up on that could really help us head in the right direction now..They are curious about how BK's non-positional approach will work, but they are generally supportive..

I would be curious to see where most people think they fit..

• Moderators

Based on your criteria, I'd fit between the realists and the positive groups. I think BK is doing a good job, but realize he makes mistakes and isn't perfect. I think Babcock was not a total failure as a GM but was a total failure at drafting with a mixed record on FAs and trades. I think we are moving in the right direction and would like to see us start making some progress but won't be upset if it takes another rough year before the rubber hits the road - as long as we hit it hard when it happens.

Babcock was a failure because he didn't have a vision and was terrible at evaluating talent.

Knight has a vision for what he wants to build, and he's working towards building that. Knight is also incredible when it comes to evaluating talent.

Quote:

The Realists..This is a wider group..They are the guys that argue with the positives and negatives..These guys generally see both the good and bad and don't get too upset either way..Sometimes you will see these posters bait the positves or negatives because it is so easy to get them riled..The realists also want to win a championship, but would be happy to see some progress year to year..The realist like most of BK's moves, but are also aware he had made a few errors especially with retaining a few guys that he gave up on that could really help us head in the right direction now..They are curious about how BK's non-positional approach will work, but they are generally supportive..

I fall here. I do not bash BK at every turn, I give the man enough rope to hang himself with if he choses to do so. I've given the man three years to turn this team around; if in three years we remain the the Eastern Conference basement, Its time to pack his bags and send him on his way. I am definintly curious as to how his team of 6'8 players concept will play out so I have opted not to be negative on it just yet. I am old school, I believe in a traditional big man and point guard. I am more championship focused, (always have been).

BTW Babs was a demon when it came to this franchise and I am glad to see that he has been exorcised.

Quote:

Based on your criteria, I'd fit between the realists and the positive groups. I think BK is doing a good job, but realize he makes mistakes and isn't perfect. I think Babcock was not a total failure as a GM but was a total failure at drafting with a mixed record on FAs and trades. I think we are moving in the right direction and would like to see us start making some progress but won't be upset if it takes another rough year before the rubber hits the road - as long as we hit it hard when it happens.

I'm here.

Also I don't want to give Joe Johnson a huge contract for what it's worth.

I'm a realist with a slant toward positive. Bk has made some good draft decisions and made some above average trades. Now that he has acquired enough talent, it is time for him to prove his worth. I think he has been doing the smart and obvious things so far. Lets see him go out and get a PG and Center now with the tools he has massed. He needs to have these in place by this time next year. I'm hopeful for improvement, but we should be in the lottery one more year. After that he better have his s&*$ together.

• Premium Member

sage, I agree with your comments. I've been a Hawks fan for over 27 years, more years than some of the guys have been alive on this forum.

The hesitation I have with the 6-8s thing is Milwaukee tried it in the 80s and had around 50 win seasons then got hammered in the playoffs by teams with legit centers. Today, there are few legit centers, so it might just work. I hope so.