• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who are your Favorite 5 Hawks of All time?

Diesel

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be, but you have continuously made the argument that his being a nice guy off the court will impact his on court performance, that he can't be a great player because he's a nice guy. And now your are basically saying that you miss the days when players were down to earth and nice people. That's hypocritical.

• Premium Member

I would love to have that Deke now. I think that the main problem with Deke is that nobody ever worked with him and his offense. He looked much better in Philly than he did with us. And he showed that a real defensive C can take you to the championship.

Yeah I'm not saying he couldn't have led us to a championship. I'm just saying that I personally hated what he did to the team on offense. He would get the ball in the post and seemingly take 15 seconds to either set up a weak jump hook or just pass it back out. It was boooooring.

• Premium Member

I said that him not being an aggressive, competitive player...

Mainly the fact that he doesn't follow basketball (he said that he doesn't watch the playoffs) and winning is not in his veins...

Jordan was a nice guy... But Jordan was competitive. Kobe is competitive. Tmac is competitive.

Boris is the picture of somebody who was not competitive. A guy who would strugg his shoulders after a loss. That's what I see in what I've heard about Marvin.

Just like him being nice has no effect on how good he plays. It also has no effect on his shortcomings either.

But him lacking competitiveness is another story!

Mainly the fact that he doesn't follow basketball

This is 100% false and we've been over it before

Hawks draft pick keeps it low-key despite high profile
Sekou Smith - Staff
Monday, August 1, 2005

Sure, Marvin Williams could start spending some of the nearly $19 million the Hawks will pay him over the next five years.

But it's just not his nature.

"Basketball is what I care about, what I love," said the 19-year-old Williams, the No. 2 overall pick in this year's NBA draft. "I'm not worried about anything else but basketball right now."

• Premium Member

Quote:

"When you step into the league, these are grown men. They've got families. It's not hanging out and, 'Let's go back to my apartment and watch TV and play video games.' These guys are grown, and they're going back to their wife and kids. It's an adjustment. And he's younger, so sometimes it's harder."

The big question surrounding Williams - a 6-foot-9, 228-pound forward -
is his willingness to take control
of a floundering Atlanta team that compiled a 13-69 record last season.

>Admittedly,
Williams is more Shareef Abdur-Rahim than Dominique Wilkins
, which may frustrate many fans who are hoping the Hawks return to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

>
Williams always has been a reluctant superstar
- even at Bremerton, where he averaged 28.7 points and 15.5 rebounds as a senior but failed to win a state championship.

>His dogged work ethic and yes-sir, no-sir personality endeared him to many spectators, especially North Carolina coach Roy Williams.

>While most star prep players who could have been lottery picks would have balked if relegated to the bench, Marvin Williams refused to cause a ruckus when he played behind senior Jawad Williams last season.

>"I think everybody should have that attitude," Marvin Williams said. "Basketball is a team sport and forever will be a team sport. The better your team does, the more credit everybody gets. I'll carry that attitude from now until whenever I stop playing. It will always be a team game. The team always comes first."

>The Hawks, however, have been accused of being a misguided team filled with players unwilling to accept supporting roles. Atlanta has built around three players - Al Harrington, Josh Smith and Josh Childress - who all believe they should lead the Hawks.

>And all three will battle Williams for playing time because they essentially play the same position.

>"Having known Marvin since he was at Bremerton, he has a natural understanding of what it takes to help a team," said Hawks assistant Bob Bender, former Washington Huskies coach. "He's earned that right to be that guy. Some players take it as a given.

>"Marvin knows he's going to have to earn it. Just because he's the second pick, it's about earning it. He wants to be out there. He wants the ball, and he wants the challenges. I don't think he'll ever be a guy that says, 'I'm the guy.' He's going to do it the right way and just go about his business."

Nique

Smitty

Mookie

Smoove

Spud

Honorable Mentions:

Ken Norman - The man with the flattest jump shot I've ever seen. He'd back iron a 3 and the rebound would come all the way back out to him at the 3 line. I used to hope he'd score so I could see the snake shake.

Duane Ferrell - I used to think he was the 2nd coming of Nique.

Eldridge Recasner - I used to get mad at the coach when Recasner came out of the game because I loved to see him shoot the three.

Quote:

Let's get it straight...

I don't hate Marvin.

I just don't think he's worthy of the 2nd pick overall FOR US...

hey Diesel- quick question. Dont make up any trades and try to trade the pick. U have that #2 pick- who u rather pick (bogut is already selected)? paul/Dwilliams?

---------------------

my fav hawks

- Nique (no explanation required)

- Mookie Blaylock (growing up i played PG, so its only natural for me to watch Blaylock closely when i watch the hawks games)

- Steve Smith (i thought he was the coolest guy. just looked COOL. not to mention, he was one heck of a shooter. i remember getting into this one argument back in the day- before Smith was injured left and right. The question?

whos better, STEVE SMITH vs ALLAN HOUSTON (the other guy of course, was Knicks fan) back in the day.

- Mutombo (before Josh Smith, it was Mutombo on ESPN with his blocked shots).

- hmm- not sure... maybe TONI KUKOC? remember when he avg a TRIPLE DOUBLE for like a week or so? prob the most complete offensive player we've had in a while.

LEAST FAVORITE

- JR RIDER (guy has game, but the attitude just did not match his game). I swear he could get a $10 million a year contract if he had his head on right. Didnt he leave the game in his PRIME? lol...

- not sure either- its kinda hard to hate a player on the hawks. if u know wat i mean

It's not just you, but you're the one saying you wish people were simple nice people like they used to be. Marvin is one of the very few current examples of that kind of players.

Nice selective highlighting

His dogged work ethic and yes-sir, no-sir personality endeared him to many spectators, especially North Carolina coach Roy Williams.

While most star prep players who could have been lottery picks would have balked if relegated to the bench, Marvin Williams refused to cause a ruckus when he played behind senior Jawad Williams last season.

"I think everybody should have that attitude," Marvin Williams said. " Basketball is a team sport and forever will be a team sport. The better your team does, the more credit everybody gets. I'll carry that attitude from now until whenever I stop playing. It will always be a team game. The team always comes first. "

The Hawks, however, have been accused of being a misguided team filled with players unwilling to accept supporting roles. Atlanta has built around three players - Al Harrington, Josh Smith and Josh Childress - who all believe they should lead the Hawks.

And all three will battle Williams for playing time because they essentially play the same position.

"Having known Marvin since he was at Bremerton, he has a natural understanding of what it takes to help a team," said Hawks assistant Bob Bender, former Washington Huskies coach. "He's earned that right to be that guy. Some players take it as a given.

"Marvin knows he's going to have to earn it. Just because he's the second pick, it's about earning it. He wants to be out there. He wants the ball, and he wants the challenges. I don't think he'll ever be a guy that says, 'I'm the guy.' He's going to do it the right way and just go about his business."

• Premium Member

Why can't I trade with Portland for the #3 pick overall or why don't I try to trade Al/#2 for Maglore/#4...

however,

If I only have #2, I would take Deron. You just don't find that kind of defense and PGing ability everyday.

See what I say to the Marvin People is this...

When have there not been a Sf in the draft?

Even Midround, we could have worked a deal using something else with Memphis for Hakim Warrick who I have a hard time believing is far behind Marvin...

However, a PG..... Is a gift from God.

Deron/JJ/JChill/JSmoove/Magloire...

• Premium Member

OH No, I left the rest of the article for you to use... I could have been very selective.

BUT..

Let's notice this one thing...

Team guys are rarely, rarely superstars.

The superstar plays for the team, but he realizes that he has to carry the team.

That's the difference between Micheal Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

My top five are from the air force era.

Nothing can stop us

Nothing can stop us

Nothing can stop us

1. Dominique

2. Doc Rivers- loved his free throw ritual

3. Kevin Willis- Can't believe he's on nobody's list

4. Spudd

5. Antoine "Big Dog" Carr

Honorable Mention- Cliff Livingston, what a golden smile, and John Battle only because he hit a game winning 3 on an in bounds play with :01 on the clock at the first Hawks game I went to.

Quote:

Why can't I trade with Portland for the #3 pick overall or why don't I try to trade Al/#2 for Maglore/#4...

b/c those are only RUMORS. For all we know, KNIGHT tried selling the #2 pick, but couldnt get enough in return. who knows? maybe- Maglore/4 for Al/2 wasnt even discussed.

however, we do know that

*Utah acquires the third selection in NBA Draft 2005 from Portland in exchange for the sixth and 27th picks and a conditional 2006 first-round pick.

so if u wanted to, we could have received 6th + 27th picks. NO THANKS.

- as for the blazers? they seemed to want to TRADE DOWN- so no trading w/ them...

-------------------

but ur answer is clear- Deron Williams it is. i really like Deron as well... but im gonna give marvin williams a try. knight is a good GM, i trust him.

if he thought it was best to go after MARVIN (even when we had Josh Childress + Josh Smith and needed SERIOUS help at the C and PG positions)- then there must be a good reason why he selected marvin.

give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Premium Member

1) Mookie!!!!!!!!!!! GOD, I MISS MOOKIE!!!!

2) Nique (duh)

3) Deke

4) Craig Mack (Ehlo...lol) Man, I remember when I used to play NBA Live...and I'd play with the Hawks. MF's would get so mad 'cause I'd bring the ball up with Craig everytime and say "Craig Mack...! Gettin' hotter than the sun GET!!!" LoL then let that 3ball fly...!! BOOM! lol And the whole game long singin "Here comes the brand new flava in ya ear!" MAAAAN, EVERYBODY wanted to play me so they could shut me up... lol

5) Smitty