• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks win 109-105; Where is the Boxscore?

WraithSentinel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Aside from each players play which I wouldn't judge on this one game...

I'm concerned about Chillz.

He played 40 minutes and only took 8 shots.

I'm not talking about Chillz because I think Chillz has tremendous talent, I'm talking about our play calling. Do we run plays for Chillz or is it that Al was just in the zone for the time he was on the court and we took advantage of that matchup?

If it's the latter, it's OK.

But If we're just not running plays for JC and he's getting all of his points on tip-ins, putbacks, and fast breaks... Well, I don't know.

Raymond Felton seemed to have put together a nice game. I think this game would have been instructive to see how JJ handles playing fast Short Pgs.

Quote:

I'm talking about our play calling. Do we run plays for Chillz or is it that Al was just in the zone for the time he was on the court and we took advantage of that matchup?

I can't comment on this as I did not see the game either but this play calling issue seemed to have started last year. I hope Woodson has an idea of what a offensive set is.

I am subscribing to the NBA package this year, so I will have much more to say in the up coming season....

I listened to the game....did not seem like we ran any plays for Chillz...he did get a couple of jump shots not sure if that was by design.....JJ basically came in late and took over the game....I would have liked to see JJ play more minutes against Raymond...Salim guarded Ray for most of his time....JJ did play some minutes against Brevin though....can't wait to actually see some of these games.

I think Esteban will prolly eventually be our backup center.

When Josh gets back from the ankle thing, I wonder if we will see the Al, Marvin, Smoove front court in spurts.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm talking about our play calling. Do we run plays for Chillz or is it that Al was just in the zone for the time he was on the court and we took advantage of that matchup?

I can't comment on this as I did not see the game either but this play calling issue seemed to have started last year. I hope Woodson has an idea of what a offensive set is.

I am subscribing to the NBA package this year, so I will have much more to say in the up coming season....

Why would coach not have "an idea of what a offensive set is"? Do you think he had an opportunity to have a clue or "idea" in ALL his years. At Indiana, in the 11 years in the NBA, coaching in the NBA? Do you have an idea ?

Good question Diesel. I'd like to be able to say that Childress isn't taking a lot of shots because he's a proven commidity and the coaching staff knows what he can do already, so he's deferring to the other guys so they can get a good look at the rest of the team.

But this is valuable time to build chemistry among the assumed starters, and if Josh is really our best play at the 2 guard, I'd like to see if he can hit the long jumper and create some shots.

Still early, maybe he's a bit banged up or just having trouble adjusting back to a structured game format.

I think every player on this team will frustrate the hell out of us during parts of the season, and the coach will too. Even Zaza will probably appear disappointing to any fans who will expect 20 ppg after being happily surprised by his first two outings.

Quote:

Do you have an idea ?

Ouch....You must be Woodsons son.

I have an idea it should be done on every half court set. Some coaches are x's and o's type some are not so good at it. Running the play also requires disipline and confidence on the players part as well.

Maybe its our youth and inexperience. Like I said, I did not see the game but this is definetely not the 1st time the play calling or lack of it has been brought up.

that's worth discussing. if this team could get it together defensively then we'd be talking about a decent squad. giving up 100 pts a night is going to get them a 25 win season. the players are young, i can see them struggling offensively but if they struggle defensively it's a poor reflection on the coach IMO. maybe they'll have it down when the season starts.

Agreed, defense will absolutely be key to the improvement of this team. There has not been an NBA champion in the past 25 years that lacked interior defense, so obviously that will have to be addressed before the Hawks can make any noise. Obviously the Hawks aren't close to a championship squad yet, but they need to build a foundation of playing solid team defense.