Interesting lack of comment...

tmac13

From all those who proclaimed along with BK that Joe Johnson is a point guard that can run a team consistantly on the NBA level..Woody seems to have basically shelved the idea a grand total of 3 games into the season..Does this mean BK might be wrong and we invested huge dollars in another wing player?..Does this mean that Woody and BK see things differently?..Does it mean that Woody thinks Chilz can't play the 2?..I am just interested in the opinions of the BK can do no wrong crowd that seem to think his every move is the stroke of basketball genius..It just seems that JJ starting at the 2 for 5 consecutive games is a glaring admission from Woody that he doesn't think JJ can run the team..Thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ is the best PG on our roster...and I think Chill's lack of confidence / ability in that outside shot has moved JJ over, not JJ running the offense poorly. the offense is stagnant though with Lue at point, and the defense is pisspoor as well. I don't know what they are , but the +/-'s have to AWFUL when Lue is on the floor. I would prefer seeing more of Ivey and Salim than Lue for sure...and I think we would perform better with more of those two guys because they put forth more effort and don't suck the air out of the offense. I still don't understand why all of our guards dribble the ball so much. We need to move the ball around more and spread the floor, we've got good outside shooting this year and this will open things up for Zaza inside too.

our guards dribble so much because the team is young; Al's hurting; Chillz has little confidence; Smoove has too much (and low bbiq for a pro at this point); Zaza...well, I don't know.

JJ had 11 assists the other night? 12? no point guard...but that's pretty damn solid. At the very least all can agree he's not the reason that we're losing....

Thie early season has pretty much confirmed exactly what I thought of JJ. He is a great player who is a natural SG but can play the PG more than adequately. I think JJ has been moved to SG right now to teach the Joshes a lesson (and because they've been so horrible), and because it allows us to have more vets on the court with Lue. My only problem with JJ as a playmaker so far is that when he penetrates, he dishes to the man who is open near the top of the key / 3 pt line, rather than trying to find someone closer who can get a dunk/layup. But other than that he's done a great job I think. I do think that in a perfect world he would play SG, but he can definitely be the PG on a great team.

I think JJ is our best PG, but we don't have enough offensive weapons. When he is trying to setup everyone our best offensive player is Harrington. If we had more scorers than he would be more effective. I think he his a backup PG, but a starting 2. We have alot of swing players, but only Salim, Delk, and JJ can play the 2.

salim can't play the 2 for any significant amount of time anymore than JT could (less so actually, given that JT's taller i think? and much better at poaching passing lanes).

Having JJ here allows Salim to playt he 2 more...and we can occassionally go with the mini-me backcourt of Salim and Lue...but...

The people who are watching the games and not reading articles written by idiots who know nothing about the Hawks know the following: JJ is still handling the ball a ton, he's still playing a lot of pg, he's still the primary ballhandler even when Lue brings the ball up the court, he's the most complete player on our roster, he is being asked to do a hell of a lot for us, he's our top defender, he's what makes our offense go, he provides numerous open looks for his teammates, and he has played very well thus far. Quit with the JJ pg bashing posts. They arent relevant right now and they dont have anything to do with why we are 0-5. Watch the game and talk about the issues, not some non-issue that is only being brought up because some stupid columnist was trying to bash the Hawks again by just looking at box scores. But for you box score people....Last game: 12 dimes, 3 turnovers. He must be playing "shooting guard" right?

Quote:

jj is a top 10 pg in this league

woody is in love with lue for some reason, which is annoying

jj has not failed at pg, and even when he is in as sg with lue/slim he still brings the ball up half the time, so he's still acting as pg a lot of the time when 82games.com or other stats say he's playing sg

JJ is many things - a talented scorer, defender, ballhandler, passer, etc. - but he is NOT a point guard. He is a multitalented guard who can play point guard, similar to Steve Francis and Allen Iverson, but his talents are not obtimized to run the point unless he is paired with a similar multitalented guard. There needs to be a second ballhandler on the court - someone who can push the pace a bit.

That said, Lue is terrible and it is clear JJ is the best "point guard" on the Hawks, but that does not mean anything.

Thats exactly the way I see it..He is very talented but is not really a 1, and definately not a top 10 1..A problem that I dont see anyone mentioning is that it is fairly obvious that he cannot guard the quicker 1's at all..Its really too bad thet we didn't keep JT..A JT / JJ backcout would have been a perfect combination.

I agree with BK's plan overall but some individual moves have left me scratching my head; drafting Childress at 6, passing twice on Duhon in the second round, giving up so much for JJ.

His insistence that JJ is a pg and Childress is a sg is a joke. The Hawks have gotten nothing on the break with JJ at the point. Childress can't shoot a lick from the outside and is too slow to guard anyone. My feeling is that Woodson sees BK's nonsense for what it is and is trying his best to win games rather than just follow BK's vision.

While JJ may be at the two, and Lue may be listed at the one, JJ has the ball in his hands the majority of the time.

Does someone mean to tell me that JJ got 12 assists by any other way than having the ball in his hands.

The reason Lue is out there, is because after JJ he is our most reliable ball handler.

What Lue does is bring the ball up the floor, and pass the ball to JJ once he passes half court.

Also if JJ ever doesn't feel like being the playmaker and wants to get his ppg up, he will give the ball to Lue and play off of him.

JJ decided to be the playmaker last night, and that is what he did.

He figured he could be of more help distibuting than scoring, and what we saw was 12 assits.

If Chillz could create off the dribble for himself or anyone else, along with Smoove playing well consistently, then JJ would be at the pg spot.

You just can't have one ball-handler out on the floor.

Look at the Lakers.

Last year Kobe was their only ball-handler and best scorer and they didn't make the playoffs.

This year they added Smush Parker and now they are tied for 7th in their conference.

Scorers can't score and distributors can't distribute if they are the only ball-handlers on the floor, because it's just too easy on the defense.

Keep the ball out of one guy's hands and the game is over before it begins.

• Premium Member

JJ is Doug Christie in his prime.

A good ballhandler... Who can score. I think it was a mistake to think of JJ as a 1 and I think it's still a good thing to have JJ as a 2. In fact, if you want to talk top 10, JJ may just be a top ten 2 and that's saying a lot with: Allen, Kobe, Tmac, LJames, and the others. I think what we must do is mold JJ the same way that Milwaukee molded Ray Allen. JJ could be a top 5 2 if we focused on his strengths...

So how do we do it.

Well, we need a PG better than Lue. Can we get one? The pickens are slim... There haven't been a lot of good names to come up out of the trade rumor.

I think we must be patient. Like i have said from the beginning, Lue is stable. So our focus should be building an offense that can work with:

Delk/JJ/Chillz/Al/Zaza.

Lots of you have problems with Chillz, but if you put him at Sf, I betcha he plays better.

Even though JJ does not start at PG it seems to play there more than any other player.

Lue will start at PG but plays sparingly for a "starter". I bet Lue averages around 20 mpg while Joe gets over 40 mpg.

When Lue is off the floor JJ is the PG. Stroudamire is playing sg only.

• Premium Member

No...

The Sf position is about desire...Not about Athletic ability or shooting ability (e.g. Marion, Bird, Bowen, Grob, Barkley, Jefferson, and Dunleavy Jr)... Those are a mix of players, some athletic, some good shooters, some defensive standouts, however, all of them did their best because of desire. I think the same Chillz that averaged about 7.5 rpg last year will be a good choice for Sf but he will get his confidence if he is played. We can't play him one game and then replace him with Batista the next. And it makes no sense to call him a SG because he doesn't shoot that well...

.... I think in that position, JC can grow... Especially when he's not looked on to be a shooter. I would also like to see JJ on the floor with Delk and Al... I think that will end up being one of our better combinations. You're talking about Experienced scorers. JJ will function better as a ball handling off guard.. Al will function better with more perimeter shooters. Hell even Chill should be a good slasher under those conditions. Right now, we just need Al to get Healthy!

I have a great idea. Lets bash JJ, the one guy who is playing well for us, and stand up for Josh Childress, a guy who has played like a scared little school girl all year.

Our most effective lineup this year has been:

JJ, Salim, Josh Smith, Marvin and Zaza. This lineup has perimeter shooting, athleticism, length and provides our primary ballhandler JJ with options when he gets double teamed. With our starters, JC has about as much confidence in his jump shot as I do being able to sleep with Jennifer Love Hewitt. Al doesnt want to shoot a wide open 15 footer. He'd rather take it hard to the hole and get blocked or miss a layup. Al has been awful the past two or three games and Childress has basically been awful the whole year.