• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No one comments on Marvin's best game as a pro

CBAreject

I guess its hard for people to congratulate him since we got beaten so badly and to be honest I missed last nights game so I didnt get to see it, but I am VERY encouraged by how well he apparently shot the ball. His FT% is puzzling and concerning to me though. I think he is going to be a double double machine though someday as witnessed by the stats he puts up when he plays with confidence.

Quote:

Hey, I'm as down on him as anyone, but we gotta be fair here. When he has a good game like that, someone should support him.

Remember, Childress broke out suddenly last year after looking miserable. It could happen to Marvin. Then again, Chill looks like crap this year...

Is it really a breakout if most of your points come at the end of a blowout against another teams "end of the benchers"?

Most of his points were on long range jumpers. Those are the same shots he has been getting most of the season. He has had a couple of games when his jumper has clicked but mostly he has been looking tentative and firing blanks.

I'll take any production right now from Marvin, regardless when it comes.

Well, there are a lot of people on here that simply don't want him to do well.

Marvin is going to be a great player though. We are seeing glimpses of that, but the consistency isn't there. It will come, and the fans that have bitched and moaned about passing on Chris Paul to take him will be very glad Atlanta took Marvin when that time comes.

I think Marvin's catch and shoot J may wind up being the best in the league at the sf spot. His form is flawless and with his size and quick release it will be very tough to stop. Plus he has the speed to get past people easily off the dribble.

I think he is really going to have to work on his game off the dribble and especially in the lane. He is getting a lot of shots blocked.

Per exodus:

"I think Marvin's catch and shoot J may wind up being the best in the league at the sf spot."

IMO you could end up being right...my frustration is: with all the hype loaded on us prior to the draft, I was expecting an out-of-the-box take it to the hole type 3/4 who would develop the jumpshot to round out his athletic game. I don't know if maybe they just aren't running anything for him (are they running anything for anybody?).

I think the Hawks logic was this:

-Marvin has the standing reach of a pf (9', Villa is 9'1")

-Marvin has the speed of Chris Paul (based on combine)

-He has a flawless jumper (obvious)

-He can handle the ball well and is a team player

However he isn't a finished product. There is no guarantee he will reach his projections but just imagine if;

-He can develop a mid-range pullup off the dribble

-He can develop a jump hook to use in the lane over bigger players

-He can develop a post game

Those aren't wild assumptions. Marvin may not have those things now but it isn't a stretch to think that he might get them. If he does than with his size and speed he is basically unguardable 1 on 1. I think that is what the Hawks were thinking.

Plus he has the speed and size to be a good defender/rebounder also.

Unfortunately he isn't a finished product yet and it isn't a sure thing he ever will be (see Tim Thomas). However we can hope. I just want to see something to indicate he really wants to be a great player, which I haven't seen yet.

i hate bringing this up, i really do. but, marvin will never be good enough to justify him being picked over chris paul. he would have to be jordan like in order to justify that pick. paul was setting there, a great player, a position of need, the hardest position to fill (along with center)and we pass for a project at a position that is not needed.

that being said, how many 6'9'' tweeners have led their teams to a championship, because that is where we are trying to get to, regarless how far away. i believe paul would have quickened the process to respectibily, winning, playoffs, and challenging for that trophy.

Quote:

how many 6'9'' tweeners have led their teams to a championship,

When was the last time a pg led their team to a championship? After Magic and Isiah there's...... And about that same time Bird and DrJ, both swingmen, led their teams to titles.

The bottom line is that big men are the key to titles.

And Marvin isn't a tweener. He fits perfectly at the 3.

I am not trying to say Marvin was the better pick but at least make a coherent argument.

Quote:

Quote:

When was the last time a pg led their team to a championship? After Magic and Isiah there's...... And about that same time Bird and DrJ, both swingmen, led their teams to titles.

I am not trying to say Marvin was the better pick but at least make a coherent argument.

A defense oriented big man is definitely a requirement for an NBA title, without question. Outside of that - and we can all agree that there were no such players available to the Hawks - the clearest path for the Hawks to at least competing for a championship is with a great point guard. This is evident from the success of Steve Nash last year and Jason Kidd in previous years.

The thing is, you also have to factor in how much better a good point guard could make Al Harrington, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Joe Johnson and Zaza Pachulia.

One of the key things that Paul is getting that Marvin isn't . . is PLAYING TIME.

That has a lot to do with Paul's success, compared to Marvin's success so far. It just so happens that Marvin had 2 or 3 players that the Hawks can justify playing ahead of him. In OKC, Paul immeadiately became the team's floor leader. IF Paul was the backup PG, people probably wouldn't be ranting and raving about the guy.

I think we need to deal Harrington as quickly as possible, and insert Marvin in the starting lineup. Smoove will have to become the 4 on this team, especially on defense.

The departure of Harrington may also enable the Hawks to do a little more with JJ on the offensive end.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A defense oriented big man is definitely a requirement for an NBA title, without question. Outside of that - and we can all agree that there were no such players available to the Hawks - the clearest path for the Hawks to at least competing for a championship is with a great point guard. This is evident from the success of Steve Nash last year and Jason Kidd in previous years.

The thing is, you also have to factor in how much better a good point guard could make Al Harrington, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Joe Johnson and Zaza Pachulia.

I agree with this. The only way the Marvin pick could be justified (at number 2)is if he had the same impact as another top high school prospect who chose to go to college for one year and won a championship, Carmelo Anthony. So far, I don't like what I'm seeing. He really didn't lead his team during the tournament and he really didn't show any go to moves in the post or perimeter.What he did show were the BASIC skills an NBA forward is supposed to have. He should be able to handle the ball reasonably well. He should be able to shoot a jumper with his feet set. He should be able to play decent defense on his man. He should be reasonably athletic enough to get by his man, hes only 19. When I saw him play against GT, I honestly saw nothing that really stood out about his game. What's so bad about it is I actually fell for all of the hype the weeks before the draft, trusting that all of these league scouts and college analysts couldn't be that mistaken about a player. I

think that Marvin could be good player in the future, but I think his ceiling may be Al Harrington with a better looking jumpshot, which isn't a bad thing, but definitely not worth the nimber two pick in a draft loaded with great PG prospects.

Wait a minute.

The skills that Marvin has shown are not simply basic skills for a player that is 6'9" with his kind of athleticism. There are very few long players like him that bring a complete skill set to the table. Josh Smith doesn't have his skill set.

You simply don't find many 6'9" players like Marvin that can handle the ball and shoot the ball from the perimeter like he can.

Marvin Williams has the ability to be what a healthy Jamal Mashburn was. A guy that can score 23-25 points per game, shoot the ball from the perimter, rebound, and play defense. If you give me the choice between a young Kenny Anderson, which is who I think Chris Paul compares most favorably to, and a young, healthy Jamal Mashburn, I'm going to take Jamal Mashburn everytime.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Wait a minute.

The skills that Marvin has shown are not simply basic skills for a player that is 6'9" with his kind of athleticism. There are very few long players like him that bring a complete skill set to the table. Josh Smith doesn't have his skill set.

You simply don't find many 6'9" players like Marvin that can handle the ball and shoot the ball from the perimeter like he can.

Marvin Williams has the ability to be what a healthy Jamal Mashburn was. A guy that can score 23-25 points per game, shoot the ball from the perimter, rebound, and play defense. If you give me the choice between a young Kenny Anderson, which is who I think Chris Paul compares most favorably to, and a young, healthy Jamal Mashburn, I'm going to take Jamal Mashburn everytime.

I hope your'e right about the Jamal Mashburn comparison, but I honestly don't see it. Mashburn was a prolific scorer in college and in the league. The guy was virtually unstoppable from his rookie year on. He had something about his game that Marvin doesn't seem to have, yet.I honestly believe that maybe Marvin would have benefitted if he had stayed in school for another year to be "the man". I'm not another Marvin hater who wants to see him fail. I actually hope he lives up to the hype as the best player in the draft. But the Hawks don't exactly have the best record when it comes to developing young talent (Smoove, Chill, Diaw, Terry, Demarr, etc.)and I don't know if an unfinished product like him will do too well here.