• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In case you missed this before . . . .

TheNorthCydeRises

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_3276283

Harrington likely to fly Hawks' coop

By Marc J. Spears

Denver Post NBA beat reporter

Forward Al Harrington isn't a household name. No one who plays for the woeful Atlanta Hawks is. So why do so many NBA general managers covet him?

Because Harrington can play both forward positions, he can score inside and out, he rebounds well and is an above-average passer. And he's only 25.

The 6-foot-9, 245-pounder will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason. And because Harrington is in the final year of a contract paying $6.9 million this season, expect several teams to make a run at him before the Feb. 23 trading deadline, or after the season if he isn't traded.

"I try not to think about it. It's a reality," Harrington said. "My agent's working for me. He's keeping his finger to the pulse of what is going on. Obviously, if it were a situation where I do make a move or do get traded, it would be to a team that is at least competing for the championship. That would be a good thing to at least get to a team of that caliber and show what I can do on a national stage once again. I kind of hope it doesn't happen."

Expect it to happen.

While it could be risky to acquire Harrington now because he will become a free agent, the team he finishes the season with will have his "Bird rights," which will allow the team to sign him to a six-year contract with 12.5 percent pay increases. Other teams under the salary cap could sign him to a five-year deal, at best, with annual 8 percent pay increases.

The New York Knicks would like to acquire Harrington now because they are over the salary cap and can sign him next year only if he is their free agent. Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas coached Harrington when both were with the Indiana Pacers. The Knicks are not fond of the idea of giving up young talent in return, however.

The Chicago Bulls are believed to be interested in Harrington to improve their team and block the rival Knicks from getting him.

New Orleans/Oklahoma City and Charlotte will have salary cap room to go after Harrington next summer. The Nuggets have interest in Harrington, too, but a trade is unlikely because Atlanta would want injured forward-center Nene in return.

Harrington was averaging 17.6 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.38 steals. Expect Harrington's agent, Andy Miller, to get his client a huge deal in the offseason.

"I'm getting better every year. I'm 25 so I haven't reached the prime of my career yet," Harrington said.

Said Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony: "He plays hard at all times. That's what I like about him."

Indiana traded Harrington to Atlanta on July 15, 2004, for guard Stephen Jackson. Word at the time was Harrington wanted out because he couldn't break into the starting lineup over all-star forwards Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest. Harrington, however, begs to differ. And if he's traded to a more competitive team, expect him to accept coming off the bench.

"I had no problems playing the sixth man," Harrington said. "I never said I wanted to start. I never went to the coach's office or to Isiah's office when he was there and said I wanted to start. No one can ever say I said that.

"I had no problems playing sixth man. Especially when Ron and Jermaine were out of the game, I felt I was good enough to carry the team. I wanted more responsibilities like that, and (Pacers coach) Rick (Carlisle) didn't want to do that."

Hawks general manager Billy Knight wants to keep Harrington. But expect the Hawks to trade Harrington either before the trading deadline or in a sign-and-trade after the season so they don't lose him without getting anything in return. Unless they can improve their roster dramatically, Harrington doesn't figure to want to stay around.

"(Winning is) very important to me," Harrington said. "I promise it is. I took winning for granted. It would take a lot for them to sign me back. Obviously, money, No. 1. No. 2, we just have to find a way to get some other players, some good veteran guys in here because I've got to start winning again.

"It's the worst, losing all the time. Can't sleep. Can't eat. Your body feels terrible all the time. Winning is very important to me, which is the reason I'm going to go to free agency and just weigh my options."

After last night's performance, please trade him now, so that we can get a very good look at Marvin. He should be gone to somebody by January.

I'll take channing frye since the knicks gave there first pick to chicago.The knicks always think they can get something for nothing.I think we need to get another 1st rounder for Harrington.Maybe there is a way to package it to get in the top 10 and draft both Aldridge and Rondo.We sure need something good to happen to this team.

• Premium Member

Why should Diesel be heartbroken??

We must have read 2 different articles..

In the article I read...

Harrington said that he could move to a better team but He hoped that it doesn't happen...

Also, in that same article..

The author acknowledged that BK wants to keep Harrington.

That's two components that this author skipped over... It was actually funny.

"Billy Knight wants to keep Harrington. But Expect the Hawks to trade him by the deadline or complete a SNT....."

I read very well. What I see is a Denver based reporter talking up Al Harrington trying to get talk started about a Al for Nene trade.

There's no need for me to be heartbroken or sucked in.

The reporter is obviously going for a huge slant here...as he starts the article stating about Al's upcoming 'unrestricted free agency', only to later 'explain' about the bird rights and the fact that, regardless of where he ends up, he won't be unrestricted.

nice reporting on that one.

Quote:

"(Winning is) very important to me,"
Harrington said.
"I promise it is. I took winning for granted. It would take a lot for them to sign me back. Obviously, money, No. 1. No. 2, we just have to find a way to get some other players, some good veteran guys in here because I've got to start winning again.

"It's the worst, losing all the time. Can't sleep. Can't eat. Your body feels terrible all the time. Winning is very important to me, which is the reason I'm going to go to free agency and just weigh my options."

this is the troubling part, diesel

he said that not only do we have to pay him, but we also have to start winning or do something to make him truly believe we'll be better next year; because he's 'got to start winning again'

when u have an UFA that says 'it would take a lot for them to sign me back' u have to look seriously at trades...UFAs leave all the time after saying they wanna resign more than anything; when it's ONLY about the money; but when they say it's 'gonna take a lot to resign' then u are in trouble

him not wanting to start is total bullish. that was the big hoop dee doo that got him out of Indiana.

as I said in another post continuity is the only thing that is going to get us out of this hole.

harrington however is the one block i can see getting moved. the tweener issue makes him a liability to us. he can't guard the athletic SFs in the league and he is about half the height of Duncan or KG.

on top of that right behind him are 2 more tweeners in marvin and smoove.

harrington is the one piece i can see us moving. for a young PG, PF, or center. but then again who would give us their PF or center in a trade for Harrington?

Quote:

when u have an UFA that says 'it would take a lot for them to sign me back' u have to look seriously at trades...UFAs leave all the time after saying they wanna resign more than anything; when it's ONLY about the money; but when they say it's 'gonna take a lot to resign' then u are in trouble

That is pretty clear to anyone who isn't in denial.

• Admin

another long 6-6 G/F with tons of athleticism and lots of potential.. If that happens, I would have a hard time supporting BK.

I would like to see us keep him. He and JJ can be a solid core for many years. But if we do trade him, it needs to be fore a PG, pure and simple. If we can't get one, we need to keep him adn look for SnT's in teh off season.