• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NY trades for Jalen Rose; no Al there next year.

mrhonline

Did Billy trade Rasheed for a contract that killed his future cap space?

No.

He traded Rasheed because he knew there was no way we would resign him, and we needed the first round pick we got in the deal for him.

Isiah just dealt an expiring contract for a contract that is on the books for $17 million in 2006-2007....and a first round pick they won't see for a while.

At least Atlanta got their first round pick immediately, which turned out to be Josh Smith.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I will give Isiah credit for is that the guy knows how to draft. damon stoudamire, marcus camby, tracy mcgrady, trevor ariza, the three rooks they have this year and getting jamaal tinsley from us. I certainly dont agree giving an expiring contract for Rose, but count on this, that pick they got will be a good player. This move by zeke just shows why the good teams stay on top and the bad teams stay at the bottom.

MY BS? Do you really want me to go back and get that thread about the Knicks when they were winning?

You aren't the only one who can find old threads. You were saying they were for real and I said they weren't because they couldn't stop anyone.

Over their last 10 games they have given up an average of

108.6 ppg. So who was right?

Quote:

I see it like this...

If he would have held on to Davis, how would it have made the future any brighter??

With Davis' contract gone, NY is still over the cap next year??

You're just bellyaching for nothing.. IN fact, BK did the very same thing when he traded Rasheed Wallace for a bunch of contracts and a first... or when he traded JT/Hendu for Walker/Delk...

I have to partially agree with Diesel on this one. This gives NY a 1st round pick, which even though we don't know which one they are getting KB assumes NY won't ever see it. confused.gif

Antonio Davis was not going to provide cap relief for NY next season. Was anyone here under the impression that if Davis came off the books, the Knicks would be in a good cap situation next year? Taking on Rose doesn't really hurt the Knicks cap situation. They were not going to be under the cap next year anyways, not even close.

If they feel like Rose helps them more than Davis, and they get a first round pick, it's a good deal for NY.

• Premium Member

But right is right...

These people act like Davis was some savior. Davis being gone will not make any difference to anything. The fact of the matter is that Rose will probably provide more...

IN FACT...

Davis being gone gives Frye more playing time... Just like Marvin and Al, except Davis is not as talented...

• Premium Member

In a sense. That's why I mentioned Hendu/JT for Walker and Delk. IN that case, we gave up Hendu/CC who represented a lot of cap room. We took on Delk who is still undercontract now. It's a stretch but NY's situation is more unique than ours... The contract means nothing for NY. Just like those contracts in the sheed deal meant nothing to us.

Isiah has done well in the draft but is so horrible at everthing else that his picks aren't much help.

The fact that he drafts well makes the Curry trade even worse since he gave away so many picks, especially this year's first which will be very high.

Of course you will try to say that this draft is weak, but this time last year Frye was projected as a late first rounder. Every year there are upside surprises, and the fact that Isiah can find them make it inexcusable to trade them away for a lazy underachiever like Curry.

NY is screwed no matter how well Isiah drafts because he spends all that money on vets who suck.

They need to hire a real GM to take care of trades and financial decisions and let Isiah focus solely on the draft.

• Premium Member

That you can't see a future with Isiah's picks??

Think about it. They moved Davis so now Frye becomes their PF full time.

Lee has been looking solid at Sf.

Nate Robinson can probably play beside Jalen Rose for the next year...

You don't think that gives them a pretty good core?

Doesn't NY have a totally different business model than the Hawks? Don't they have their own ppv-type network and high profile season ticket holders and revenue streams out the wazoo?

So it's important for them to do something - cap be damned - to keep the NY sports consumers in the game. They gotta try something to put on a show and get some W's...and they probably have a capologist to stretch the rules as far as possible.

The Hawks operate on a totally different plane - sure we only have one less win than them and a way lower payroll. But they probably have so much more income that the payroll doesn't matter nearly as much to them. (just my guess)

• Premium Member

Yeah..

It's called a large market.

These guys don't understand it because they can't understand that the GM of NY can NEVER demolish the team. KB is somewhere in the country in Mississippi where everything is so barren that he actually believes that destroying a team for the hell of it is a good thing. No NY GM has ever had the luxury of starting over. When Patrick Ewing was traded for draft picks, the NY media crucified Layden. Even though Pat Ewing was old and senile...

Didn't Jalen Rose hate Larry Brown in Indy? I really get the feeling Isaiah is trying to kill Larry Brown's Knick career.

The players are already revoling against Brown...the team has no direction and a bunch of bad contracts and players that don't play team ball. Getting Rose isn't going to help that IMO.

Knicks potential lineup:

G - Marbury

G - Rose

F - Q-Rich

F - Frye

C - Curry

The one thing I see about this trade is this. Rose is being brought in not to help the Knicks, but the stabilze them at the guard position. Brown obviously doesn't trust Nate Robinson to get heavy minutes, and A. Davis was basically doing nothing for the team.

And Rose coming to the team instead of keeping Davis and letting his deal expire does nothing for N.Y.'s cap situation.

So why not get a player like Rose to try to keep the Knicks respectable, while acquiring another draft pick.

Personally, I was afraid that BK was going to bring in Rose for Harrington, and try to once again force feed the "big" lineup. A move like that would make no sense for us.

But for New York, it isn't a bad of a deal as people would think. And I think this is more of an indictment on Jamal Crawford than anybody. He's the guy that should be the #2 guy on this team, yet, he still plays like he's in Chicago.

One other thought. A deal like this makes you wonder what exactly we can get for Al in a trade?

Quote:

These guys don't understand it because they can't understand that the GM of NY can NEVER demolish the team

Actually you are the one that doesn't understand that they DID demolish the deal by acquiring so many overpriced scubs.

You seem to think they are actually on the verge of being good which is just nuts.

A front line of Curry/Frye is devoid of defense and rebounding. These two are averaging a combined 12 rebounds. Now that Davis is gone they will be completely exposed. Their losing really got bad when Davis got suspended.

They are history. The Hawks will be in the 2nd round of the playoffs before the Knicks sniff .500.