• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For all of yall talking sh_t about Joe johnson

Peoriabird

Quote:

Joe wouldn't be overpaid if he got his 20 - 25 shots a game, like the other guys in that tax bracket do. It's not his fault that he's not looking to shoot 23 times a game.

He could very easily be a 25 ppg scorer in this league, if he had a gunner's mentality and shot the ball every time he touched it.

I know one thing. IF I had a choice between Michael Redd and Joe Johnson, I'm taking Joe any day of the week.

NICE!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I'm personally enjoying the crow being consumed by the guys who, pre-season, wrote that Joe Johnson was good, but he's not good enough to be "the" guy.

BK take a bow -- you called that one right no matter what your detractors say.

JJ's is about as good a shooter as Redd / Allen / and way better than Hughes - and those were the guys that were heavily seeked and available for the money. Besides is way more versatille, better all around, and younger than them all. So we got the best player of the bunch.

We needed to spend the $ and he was the only one that wanted to come here and he deserves every penny. Especially when you think about how many players like Eddie Jones / Tim Thomas/ Penny / Antonio Davis and tons more who get way more than JJ and they don't produce SH!T.

*Kinda funny that most of those guys play or played for the Knicks recently - LOL!!!

So all you guys have to realize that we had to start somewhere and with someone that has that kind of talent. When you think about no one wanting to come here and he did, then you understand that it was worth the deal and we came good. Get used to JJ in a Hawks uni and get used to the Hawks growing and improving.

Quote:

I'm personally enjoying the crow being consumed by the guys who, pre-season, wrote that Joe Johnson was good, but he's not good enough to be "the" guy.

BK take a bow -- you called that one right no matter what your detractors say.

He's done no more than Reef has done and Reef isn't a number one guy.

Yes, I understand the team needs more talent and is lacking in alot of area's.. But I don't think JJ is as explosive as Kobe/Tmac and even Vince Carter. I'd say he's Steve Smith and Ray Allen with a less consistant jumpshot.

If somehow the Hawks aren't a lotto team in 2007 and don't give up a lotto pick the trade looks better.

Quote:

Quote:

My, what an azz you make yourself out to be...

I call it like I see it! And by the way, how can you even comment? You didn't even see the game.

Beacause your original post had nothing concerning the game and it really doesn't matter. You just came on and blew up, word vomiting all over the place, using "!" or "!!" as the punctuation for each sentence and basically no respect for everyone on the board. I may agree with some of what you say, but you stated it horribly. Each poster here deserves their own opinion and there is really no need for name calling or the like. Anyways, "I call it like I see it" as well, that's why I say you are making yourself out to be an azz.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why do we always fight? Lately every time we get a win, all I see is arguing and fighting... Can we enjoy a victory without slaughtering each other for a change? Jeez...

GO HAWKS!

Because some people on the board are really disappointed when the Hawks do well because they have spouted off so much about how certain player in a Hawks uniform are terrible and need to be traded for another team's 12th man. Never giving the youngest team in the league the benefit of the doubt or allowing them to go thru natural growing pains. They know who they are! And many of them have reacted negatively to this thread.

We'll just keep letting them spout about Marvin or Childress being bust that should be traded away to New York for Stephon Marbury. Pretty soon they will be so fat from eating all of that fried crow and humble pie, that they would be sleepy & lazy to post the kind of unwarrented hatred for a team that they claim to be their favorite.

Quote:

Joe isn't worth a loto pick, 1st pick, 70 million plus a solid role player. I'm not saying that JJ is a bum or isn't any good.

He might be. Not only is he good, he's a splendid player.

Quote:

He's just overpaid.

Maybe not. You been watchin'?

As much as it pains us, sometimes you just have to be patient and let guys come together. They've got work to do - biggest problem is, this is a genuinely bad defensive team - but I gotta say, Joe Johnson is earning his money. He'd be an all-star if he were doing this on a better team in a better market.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but I gotta say, Joe Johnson is earning his money. He'd be an all-star if he were doing this on a better team in a better market.

The funny thing about this whole discussion is that people were ready to throw the same kind of money at Eddie Curry, Tyson Chandler, K. Martin, Stephon Marbury and the list goes on without blinking. And some would continue to defend their position eventhough they have not accomplished half as much as Joe Johnson. Give it up! You are never going to convince some people that Joe Johnson is a bargin comparatively especially at 24 years of age.

The day we see Diaw taking over games in crunch time and taking a franchise on his shoulders and STILL perfoming at a high level is that day I take someone seriously about any kind of comparison.

JJ is showing me what I hoped we were getting: a clutch performer, leadership qualities and an all around game.

Quote:

"We knocked them off stride because we came out hard and never let up," Johnson said. "The last time they were here they embarrassed us and that was in the back of all our minds. We withstood their assault and fought back and took this game. Nobody gave us anything out there tonight. That was every man on this team stepping up when we were a man down, playing with pride and dignity and getting a win."

Love these quotes from our captain.

Hotlanta I think you selling Joe Johnson short. He is every bit the offensive player Steve Smith was and Michael Redd is. He may not be as good as a pure jump shooter as either, but he is not far off. As far as scoring though he is comparable.

Thats only one part of the game though. JJ is a much better playmaker than Redd ever will be and he handles the ball much better. JJ can get his shot off anytime he wants to. Michael Redd is basically just a jump shooter thats it.

Smitty is the closest comparison because they both have an inside outside game coupled with the ability to pull off great post moves. However JJ even ups Smitty one, because he is 10 times the defensive player Smitty or Redd ever was. JJ can guard the Kobes, and TMacs of the world, and do it well.

JJ is a complete basketball player and thats rare in this day in age. He is worth every penny IMO. We are basically playing 500 ball now 13-15 after the horrid start of the season, and we look to be turning the corner.

If I had to knock JJ it would be because he doesn't take over the game sometimes when he should. Instead he watches Al start chucking up shots, and disapears for quarters at a time. I blame him for this and woodson for letting him do this. When he sets his mind to scoring I have yet to see someone stop him.

While the hawks never had great playoff success with Smitty, I think JJ actually has to lead a team to winning before you can say he's better.

In some ways I think one on one defense is overrated... You see teams like Detroit and Dallas and they have bad defensive players, but play good team defense. I know Detroit has Big Ben/Sheed/Prince, but I think you can admit that Rip and Billups are below average one on one defensive players.

JJ is probably alittle better overall than Redd... But like Redd, JJ is a 2nd tier guard and that's the point I was making.

Maybe in someways I'm selling JJ short... Afterall, most of the games I seen him play was when he was in PHX... But he never seemed to be like he could be one of those unstoppable players.

Sheed was never known for his defense prior to detroit.

JJ...isn't unstoppable, you're right. But in other regards...he is. He doesn't wow you with flushes or play (particularly) above the rim...but his array of floaters, layups, and other 'floor moves' are tremendous, and couple with a very nice handle.

Though I couldn't watch the game, in reviewing the highlights (which are available every night now thanks to the glory of NBA.com), his behind the back/crossover/change of direction TRULY impressed me...that's handles my friends.

Kobe? no. TMac...JJ has heart (not better, though preferable in some ways).

He's more versatile than Redd, but not the 'player' that PP is...though he's gaining.

Redd got a max (though overpaid, grossly).

Scroll through the max contacts...whom would you rather have?

Joe Johnson has shown that he’s a clutch player and I think Hawk fans should think most positive about him. He’s a key player for our future and now he’s shown that he’s more comfortable with the city and his role. Some fans were far from being happy, because we gave up Boris Diaw, and two first round picks. The thing is our coaching staffs didn’t make the transformation to the NBA a good one for Boris Diaw and now I’m very happy for him. He wouldn’t have done the things he’s doing for the Suns, if he will still a Hawks, because we tried to force him into being someone he’s not, and that’s a mistake that our coaching staffs have made often.

It's tiring to hear about all of the overpaid players in the NBA. Allan Houston, he was overpaid. The guys like Joe Johnson are not overpaid.

There are only a couple players that are on the level of AI, Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett. That doesn't mean that other guys are overpaid with a max contract.

What we are experiencing now in the NBA is that all the top 35-45 players in the league will get paid at the max level or still be on rookie contracts. There will be a couple exceptions, but for the most part if you are at or near all-star level you get the max.

Joe Johnson is not overpaid. His salary matches the market conditions.