• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

SNT for AL

BornandDieHawks

I know most of you wanted AL traded and some have called BK every name in the book because he did not pull the trigger.

Was he right or wrong? This is what we already know:

Denver, Chicago, Indiana, and New York are amongst the teams who wanted AL. None of these teams are in the championship hunt and needed AL to put them over the top. So why would they offer anything of value now and get AL for the rest of ths season not knowing if he will bail on them at the end of the year. When the season is over and these team along with others are trying to build their teams up then AL will be a top priority. The price will go up.

My job has me traveling throughout the country; everywhere I go and talk about the Hawks, Al is a star. Not a superstar, but a star. WIth that being said;

Al would be a fool to just leave the Hawks. No agent would let his player leave a team who owns his bird rights and go to another team for less money in the prime of their career. If he was an older player and wanted a chance at a ring or something then I would worry about losing him for nothing.

• Admin

No agent worth his salt would let his player simply go to another team WHEN he knows that his current team is willing to do a sign and trade. His agent knows we are willing to do this. So it's safe to assume that his talks are going to center around this. He's going to be working just as hard or harder to broker a deal between the Hawks and another team as he is to simply get Al signed by another team. Because it's in his best interest financially to do so.

As I and others have said, keeping Al the rest of the season is not a bad thing. Despite all the theories about what Al IS NOT, he is still a good player who has developed a certain amount of chemistry with the players we have. There are going to be plenty of teams that will look at his agents offer and look at their roster and see if they can make it work. He may not be a defensive stopper or a #1 option. But he's the kind of player that EVERY playoff team needs.

Worst case scenario we just let him walk and we get our cap space back. this is not as bad as some like to portray it to be. It is far better that we get his full value back in cap space than it is to be stuck paying guaranteed contrats to late first round picks who do not give us immediate benefit. While we are not a good time right at this moment. That can change quickly with one or two good players. We are not very likely to get those players late in the first round. So being stuck paying 1st round contracts, which are guaranteed, is not a good enough reason to simply send him packing for the sake of having him gone.

• Premium Member

How many of our outraged Hawks faithful would be willing to give up one of the Joshes and a pick for a player who is to become a free agent at the end of the season? That's a fools deal right?

Well, if it's a fools deal for us to do, why do we all the sudden expect Chicago, NY, Denver to do it for Al??

NO Brainer.

Now, what can happen now is that we have chips in the big game. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us be part of the KG malee as he goes to NY. Maybe Al and Channing Frye will end up in Minny and Francis will be a Hawk?

Or maybe now, we trade Al to Denver for Andre Miller and Franchise makes his way to Denver.

Or maybe we keep Al.

Who knows...

But I don't think there were any deals that were good for us out there.. and that include Watson or Nene.

Quote:

Well, if it's a fools deal for us to do, why do we all the sudden expect Chicago, NY, Denver to do it for Al??

Well actually I think we could expect something along those lines from NY since it's been proven that Isiah is an idiot, but point taken and aside from that, NY has not much to offer us anyways.

• Premium Member

Something tells me that Isiah will try to get both KG and Lebron in NY.

Both KG and Lebron has said that they want to play for NY.

With their cap being sky high, I can see Isiah making it happen with the players' assistance of course.

Quote:

No agent worth his salt would let his player simply go to another team WHEN he knows that his current team is willing to do a sign and trade. His agent knows we are willing to do this. So it's safe to assume that his talks are going to center around this. He's going to be working just as hard or harder to broker a deal between the Hawks and another team as he is to simply get Al signed by another team. Because it's in his best interest financially to do so.

I am willing to bet his agent worked hard against a deal before the deadline.

Quote:

I know most of you wanted AL traded and some have called BK every name in the book because he did not pull the trigger.

Was he right or wrong? This is what we already know:

Denver, Chicago, Indiana, and New York are amongst the teams who wanted AL. None of these teams are in the championship hunt and needed AL to put them over the top. So why would they offer anything of value now and get AL for the rest of ths season not knowing if he will bail on them at the end of the year. When the season is over and these team along with others are trying to build their teams up then AL will be a top priority. The price will go up.

My job has me traveling throughout the country; everywhere I go and talk about the Hawks, Al is a star. Not a superstar, but a star. WIth that being said;

Al would be a fool to just leave the Hawks. No agent would let his player leave a team who owns his bird rights and go to another team for less money in the prime of their career. If he was an older player and wanted a chance at a ring or something then I would worry about losing him for nothing.

I cannot speak for Denver, Chicago or Indiana, but I can assure you know one in New York not named Isiah Thomas believes Al is a "star." A good player yes, but not a star player.

For what it is worth.

Quote:

Something tells me that Isiah will try to get both KG and Lebron in NY.

I would not be at all suprised to see him make a play for Garnett, since he's on the outs in Minnesota and supposedly may be on the block this summer.

What the heck, the payroll's already at 120 million. What's another 50, 60, 70 million? confused.gif

• Moderators

NY's payroll for this year will be almost $200M after the luxury tax. That is painful for anyone.

That said, they would gladly add Garnett if they could get him but why would Minny trade for him when they could get better packages of cap space, young players and draft picks from other teams? Acquiring Starbury or Fracis doesn't do Minny any good if KG is gone. A Rose/Frye/filler deal isn't much - we could top that one. I strongly bet against the KG to NY deal getting done unless KG is a FA.

We hold his bird rights.

Basically, because he is currently with us, we can offer him a 6 year deal instead of a 5 year deal, and we can give him more money (higher raises). So he can get more money and years if he signs with us (SNT or just re-sign).

Also, most other teams don't have the capspace to sign him to a big contract, so the only way they can do that is by a trade (SNT) due to cap restrictions