• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Playstation 3 pricing is out

chillzatl

• Premium Member

I'm just thinking with the esculating price... that seems like the next level.

Sorta like the Mac Mini is what I'm thinking.

A PS with PC ability that can also be linked to your Stereo, Video Unit, and wireless connection.

I think it could possible become the gamer's PC and put a serious dent into the gaming industry..

Because the truth of the matter is most gamers have homemade systems with emphasis on power and price. Well, the way that PS is going they can provide that and take over a portion of the market. There will always be those who believe that they can build a better system, but if they put a stranglehold on software liscensing, there will be no choice...

• Admin

nah, won't happen. You can get a gaming pc that will play games that look as good and in many cases better than an xbox 360 or playstation 3, today. But it costs significantly more than either of those consoles.

As far as connecting the game system to your stereo and all that, you can already do that with teh xbox 360 and will be able to do it with the ps3. That's the direction it's all moving. Everything integrated into one entertainment device.

Quote:

$499 for the base model with a 20gb HD

$599 for the upgraded model with 60GB HD

You can't watch BD movies on the base model, no HDMI output. I'll be holding my dollars for a while.

That's too much, but if I was buying it I would get the one that has 60 GB.

Quote:

$499 for the base model with a 20gb HD

$599 for the upgraded model with 60GB HD

You can't watch BD movies on the base model, no HDMI output. I'll be holding my dollars for a while.

That is just plain ridiculous. Just buy a Scrabble board instead.. you'll get more lasting enjoyment smile.gif

• Premium Member

I'm looking for the day that they make a PC type system that can operate, everything: Lights, Temperature, Phone, Stereo, TV, Games, all in one box.

Just imagine, you would be able to program it to save your shows like a DVR while you play playstation. I think we're very close. All the modern technology from having these bundles offered by the cable company is closing in.

The caller ID on the TV Screen is already a great thing.

Next, I want to download my saved TV shows to my computer's harddrive...

Or be able to bluetooth it and watch it whenever I want to.

Or better yet, just have it saved to a storage file somewhere on the web, then I can access the show anywhere and watch it.

We're close.

A). There are systems out there that you can build which can control everything in your house. Take a look at this as an example of one that you dont even have to build, you can even use your PDA to interface with it and control your home:

http://www.smarthome.com/12669.html

B). If you know what you are doing you can already save your shows from your DVR to your PC.

C). I highly doubt that the cable/satt. companies will ever deliver a unit that straight out of the box allows you to save tv shows to your computer without paying something extra for them (ie. iTunes).

• Premium Member

That's wild.

I don't know what I'm doing.

I haven't recorded from my DVR to my VCR yet... Because I'm waiting on them to make that exchange a lot easier. i.e. VCR connected directly to the DVR.

Still, I think if they get that, then PC directly connected to DVR is an easy next step. I see it as a big harddrive anyway.

But eventually, it's gotta be a way to have a storage place... like Itunes.. where everybody can have an individual account and leave their favorite television shows there.

Just imagine, you record something. You're visiting with friends, you guys can go through your recorded list and pull it up.

I imagine that copyrights would be the biggest hassell with this.. but then again, once you buy something, isn't it yours?

Quote:

It's not just first gen Sony hardware though. The first few batches of 360s had their share of bugs as expected.

It goes without saying that anything released by Microsoft is bug-laden.

• Admin

There are tons of cheap devices you can get for smarthome/x10 products. really cool stuff actually.

And yah, Comcast/motorola are supposedly working on a box that will allow you to have one DVR in your house and network all of your other boxes up to it to stream shows from the one unit, instead of having to have a unit in every location. It is rumored that this unit will allow you to stream media from PC's, and vice versa, as well.

• Admin

I also just saw some new DVR's that are coming out this year that have DVD burners built into them, specifcally for allowing you to burn recorded shows to disc. Plus there is always the Mediacenter PC option, which allows you to record show ala Tivo, and you can easily stream/share/burn those off. Once Vista hits, with cablecard support, it will be a snap to do this.

It will be interesting to see what happens. What I desperately want to see is a Satt. Tuner card, which I could put into my new Media PC running Windows Media Center, so that I wouldnt have to use my Satt. Tivo DVRs running on Linux.