• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any hope left Bargnani falls to us?

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

I just don't like the look of this draft for us now. I could handle Aldridge or Roy at 5 but not Shelden.

I've seen 2 out of about 10 mock drafts that have Bargnani as a Hawk at 5. I'm suprised by this. Can anyone else reasonably see him falling to 5?

W

As perimeter-oriented as Bargnani's game is purported to be, I just don't see how he really helps the Hawks as a PF next season. I like the talent, if the Dirk comparisons are even close to accurate, but remember that Nowitzki took several years to develop as a consistent rebounder, and although his defensive play is no longer a negative, it is still considered one of his (relative) weaknesses.

What's to fear? Common sense would tell the knuckleheads to simply draft MARCUS WILLIAMS!!! Why not get the best PG in the draft, especially after passing on Paul/ Deron and the rumored [Felton + May] trade last year?

I've seen mocks with Bargnani or Aldridge falling to #5. I think either scenario is far-fetched. Bargnani, however, is much less likely to fall. Bargnani has that priceless distinction of being universally compared to a current NBA superstar. Being "the next" so-and-so usually gets GM's dreaming. I see Bargnani going #1.

The questions of Aldridge's heart/tenacity along with his slight build will keep him from being the #1 pick. I don't think he'll fall to 5th, but it's not inconceivable.

Since Marcus is slated top 10, it would be hard to be too upset over "reaching" for him at 5th. I can imagine 5 or more other scenarios that would make much less happy (Rudy Gay, Adam Morrison, Ronnie Brewer).

Marcus is fairly solid bet to be a solid PG. I'd prefer a star at 5th, but not if it means drafting another SF.

I also would have a hard time being too angry about Shelden Williams 5th. Still, we'd be reaching, but we could do so much worse.

I strongly prefer Randy Foye over Marcus Williams. I believe Foye is a better fit than Williams and a better contrast to what we have in Joe Johnson. Foye is better than Williams at playing off the ball, and that's something that is going to happen regardless if fans believe it should. Joe Johnson is simply too good to completely take his playmaking skills away and make him a traditional shooting guard. Plus, Foye is a much better defender than Williams.

This is one of those odd drafts where you have about 5 players that could go in any order, and it's really hard to say who is a reach and who isn't. People can make a strong case that Patrick O'Bryant is a reach at the 5th pick. Randy Foye, Marcus Williams, Shelden Williams, Patrick O'Bryant, and Ronnie Brewer could go in any order.

To me it's a definite possibility that either Bargnani or Aldridge could fall to 5th. Toronto is a wild card at this point. They could trade the pick or draft any one of 5 players.

Let's go with this order:

2. TT or Roy

3. Gay

4. Morrison

5. Aldridge or Bargnani

If the 2-4 picks go like that, which many are projecting they will, one of Aldridge or Bargnani would fall to us.

Quote:

pls disagree without implying that i do not understand the meaning of words, nick.

Someone needs to work on his movie references!

Quote:

I strongly prefer Randy Foye over Marcus Williams. I believe Foye is a better fit than Williams and a better contrast to what we have in Joe Johnson. Foye is better than Williams at playing off the ball, and that's something that is going to happen regardless if fans believe it should. Joe Johnson is simply too good to completely take his playmaking skills away and make him a traditional shooting guard. Plus, Foye is a much better defender than Williams.

This is one of those odd drafts where you have about 5 players that could go in any order, and it's really hard to say who is a reach and who isn't. People can make a strong case that Patrick O'Bryant is a reach at the 5th pick. Randy Foye, Marcus Williams, Shelden Williams, Patrick O'Bryant, and Ronnie Brewer could go in any order.

Can Foye bring the ball up court? I hear all this talk about being a running team but the Hawks lack a guy who can really push the ball up the court to make them a running team. JJ is a good ballhandler and can distribute in a halfcourt situation, but he is not a guy that pushes the pace up the court.

If Foye can be that guy who can push the ball and creat on the fast break then I agree he is a good fit, particularly in light of his strong defensive reputation. Also if he can take the ball to the rim and can distribute in the process that would be good too.

A Tony Parker type is what the Hawks need - push the pace, penetrate and score or distribute, hit the open shot, etc.