• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Houston- Atltanta Deal!!!!

b3bawla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly see the logic from Houstons point of view. They need a 2 with size and Roy is the best 2 in the draft.

Head spent a lot of time at the 2 for them and was their primary 3pt shooter (he attempted over 300 3s, shooting 36%), but he really doesn't have the size to play the 2.

Houston fans are mixed on him. Many seem to like him but think he will never be anything but a role player. Apparently he doesn't shoot well off the dribble. he was mainly a spot up shooter there and half his attempts were 3s.

From the Hawks point of view it makes sense if Shelden really is there guy because he will most likely be there at 8.

During the draft workouts last year I remember reading that Head was impressive and did a good job at the point. he also tested well athletically, with a 38.5" vertical.

I really have't seen enough of him to judge his game but if he could play the point anywhere it would be here. He would certainly be a big upgrade over what we have now.

As a Houstonian, I can say that there are a lot of fans that would rather keep Head than do the deal. But, after following the Rockets for a long time, it is clear that the team has a "stars win" policy (remember cassell and Horry for Barkley, OT for Clyde, etc.)

The Rockets have a stud SF (TMAC), a stud C (Yao), a good PG (Alston) and two overpaid slightly below average PFs (Juwan and Stromile). Head is the only player on the roster that can play SG (Wesley is a free agent and won't be back and Barry retired).

Sura and Mutumbo are old and injury prone - but are being counted on as contributors.

Keep in mind that Head got a lot of minutes at SG, but is better at the point.

So, the Rockets need 3 things:

1) A SG that can hit from outside (compliment Yao inside and TMac slashing) and defend (because JVG won't play him if he can't defend - so no Redick).

2) A better PF. Juwan and Stromile both have holes in their game (and their heart) and a PF that can bang (Thomas/Williams) or one that can drain it from outside (Bargnani) would look good between Yao and Tmac. [the team has talked about getting a 3 point shooting pf every since Yao came here - I personally prefer the banger but I don't call the shots]

3) Depth. I think managment has decided it can shore up depth with free agents and the MLE (if the Rockets draft a PF then the MLE goes to a SG).

So, IMO, Roy is a target worth moving up for. And, the PFs would also be on the list.

But to moveup, you have to give something. And the Rockets only player that has value that can be dealt is Head. The Rockets can also offer draft picks, but who really wants to give up a lot for Rockets draft picks (if TMac and Yao stay healthy, the picks will be low).

So, while Head is a decent player, he is the main asset that the Rockets can offer.

IMO, he could start at PG and be solid for the Hawks: good defense, good speed, and above average scoring (still not sure how he will pan out on 3s though).

The other big rumor in Houston is Houston taking on a bad contract (Miles mentioned the most) from Portland to move up to 4 (not clear if Head would go in the deal or not).

• Premium Member

He's not a great passer though.

I like Roy, but I don't figure him to be fast. I also don't figure him to be a really good passer. I figure him to be JJ like. In fact, just like JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

JJ really needs an uptempo OG or uptempo PG next to him. Somebody who can create his own points by driving the lane.

That sounds like Roy. He's a better slasher than pure shooter.

Yeah, that was also my impression. Besides, how does Head fit without the ability to "create his own points by driving the lane"?

Not saying adding Head to our roster would hurt, but do we really want to give up Roy if he's there?

On a side note: Were we to draft Roy and then Shelden goes at 6 or 7, we could always trade him to the Los Angeles Kobes for Lamar Odom ... except that Odom isn't 6'8 ... damn, that would ruin our experiment. (I'm kidding anyway, I'd much rather have Roy than Odom).

Oh, and Diesel, how in the hell does Tyrus Thomas fall to #7. I know Chad Ford isn't the Puppetmaster, but his board ratings are usually pretty accurate, and he's had T.T. @ #1 for quite some time now.

• Moderators

I think Head would fit here pretty well as a PG because of his defensive ability more than anything. Of course, he would not be perfect. However, if we are going to take Shelden I would be thrilled to get Head as a throw-in in the process.

Quote:

I think Head would fit here pretty well as a PG because of his defensive ability more than anything. Of course, he would not be perfect. However, if we are going to take Shelden I would be thrilled to get Head as a throw-in in the process.

Yeah, I agree, and getting Shelden at #8 instead of #5 while picking up another piece would be great for this team. Would Luther start next to Joe @ PG, though? I leaning toward yes, he's an upgrade over Ivey if nothing else.

• Moderators

Quote:

Would Luther start next to Joe @ PG, though? I leaning toward yes, he's an upgrade over Ivey if nothing else.

I think so. I also think he would be a BIG upgrade over Ivey.

Quote:

Yeah, I agree, and
getting Shelden at #8 instead of #5 while picking up another piece would be great for this team
. Would Luther start next to Joe @ PG, though? I leaning toward yes, he's an upgrade over Ivey if nothing else.

Wow, I'm arguing with myself, but yeah, that came off way too strong ... I don't think that Head solves anything other than adding depth ... plus, while my Forehead approval rating has reached its highest level to date ... I think that we should be able to get more value for whoever is BPA out of Roy/TT/Morrison/Gay. Someone will offer more than Luther Head to trade up for one of those players.

The crazy thing about this draft is that everyone is placing some combination of six players in the top four. Two of these players will be available at #5. I hope Bargnani or Aldridge are there, but even if they aren't, someone with value will be there, and I have to believe the offers will start coming in.

If all we get out of the 5 pick this year are Shelden and Luther Head, I can't give BK better than a C-. I have been converted into believing that Shelden can play a vital role on this Hawks team, but that simple fact still doesn't make him the best option.

I am seeing this deal on every NBA site.

I think this may be the deal for Wednesday.

We either end up with Roy and nothing else or we either end up with Shelden and Luther.

Either way I am fine with the results. I think Roy is a good pick at 5. I think we get good value with Luther and Shelden for No. 5.

If Head is not going to be a starter why bother to make the deal? In my opinion, if you're going to trade down from a high draft position, either pick up a second high draft pick or a starter. Not for someone who can't beat out Tyron Lue at starting PG for us.

Quote:

If Head is not going to be a starter why bother to make the deal? In my opinion, if you're going to trade down from a high draft position, either pick up a second high draft pick or a starter. Not for someone who can't beat out Tyron Lue at starting PG for us.

my thoughts exactly. besides roy won't be there at #5.

Quote:

Quote:

my thoughts exactly. besides roy won't be there at #5.

Yes, Roy "should" be gone by #5, but who is drafting Roy?

It seems that teams #1-#4 have needs and interests in everything but Roy. I think he will be available to the Hawks (or Rockets via trade).

Scott

• Premium Member

First, I'll have to say that I am at a loss this year as far as evaluating prospects go. I usually watch the guys who'll go at the top; but other than Shelden, I really haven't seen much of any of these cats.

But...

I like the little that I have seen from Roy and everything that I've read about him. He is a lot like JJ, but from what I've seen...seems to have more fire and attitude; and more atheletic. Having two guys that can penetrate, pass, shoot, and score doesn't seem bad to me at all.

I also like buzz from other teams, specifically LA, trying to move up for him. There's definitely something right about him.

• Premium Member

Oh, I think Roy is a first rate candidate... However, I have questions about him and JJ getting along well because they play the same type game..

I also wonder, where would our inside help come from?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Oh, and Diesel, how in the hell does Tyrus Thomas fall to #7. I know Chad Ford isn't the Puppetmaster, but his board ratings are usually pretty accurate, and he's had T.T. @ #1 for quite some time now.

Bob, did you even watch Thomas this year?

His game is just Athleticism... Nothing else. He does a good job of blocking shots. He's very similar to Smoove. Plus, he measured shorter than Shelden Williams and he weighs only 217. I think the fact that Chicago really liked him is the only thing that kept him this high. Because nobody wants a 6'8 217 lb PF with no offensive skills.

About your puppet master ford, he doesn't have to be held accountable for anything he says. IN fact, he just might be one of these guys who gets paid to talk up certain players.

But a good GM will size Marcus Fizer/Swift all over Thomas. This guy is another Sf.

Quote:

Oh, I think Roy is a first rate candidate... However, I have questions about him and JJ getting along well because they play the same type game..

I also wonder, where would our inside help come from?

I agree that they have similar games. But I think that could be a great advantage. Both would be able to play the point, so depending on who's hot (or who the lock down defender is playing) we go switch the two. So I think offesnively it would work just fine (similar to Arenas and Hughes 2 years ago...neither are true point guards or true 2 guards but they played great together). If there was anything to be concerned about in pairing JJ and Roy, it would be defensively.

• Premium Member

in theory that sounds good... But in reality, you do need the skillset that we miss..

Namely, we miss a drive and dish PG. The league has basically open the door for those type of PGs/Sgs to prosper. Look at the dominance showed by Wade!

We need somebody who can drive and go to the line. I think that until new rules are made, this will be the winning trend to have a drive and dish PG and a dominant Big.