• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top PG Options are..................

lush23

I would be very surprised to see BK take on Crawford's bad contract. Even if Crawford "might" fit in here, he is simply not worth the jack and BK will not do a sign and trade in order to match up salaries on a bad contract. I think we need to lower our point guard or combo guard expectations. More in the range of Duhon, Salmons, Calderon, Ollie, etc. I want a first rounder in next years' draft in any proposed Al sign and trade.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

That's the thing about Jaric. He's got those times when he's not assertive. I think the PG we should want is a guy who can shoot like a SG without being begged to do so.

I like Jaric's size and Mobility though.

Jamal Crawford is bad for this team. He's a taller version of Salim except that he can't shoot as well. He's scorer that doesn't play defense and does nothing but jack up shots.

I wonder if the people who want Crawford here have actually watched a Knicks game or have they just watched Crawford's highlights. The man's defense is BAD. Since the mantra of this offseason seems to be improving the defense and finding a pg, we'd be taking two steps back b/c Crawford is straight sg, there' no pg in him at all, and he doesn;t play defense. He's a one on one player. I implore the Crawford fans on this site to watch some Knicks games or ask knowledgeable Knicks fan to describe his game.

I really think Delonte West is the guy for us. Check him out and notice that hemoves well without the ball. That's the kind of PG that Billy says we are looking for. So that means no Baron Davis, Jamal Crawford, and Steve Francis because all these cats dribble and dribble and dribble and dribble.

I'm feeling West, a big contract like Ratliff or Grant Gerald Green for Big Al. This puts the C's in better position to make big moves and gives them a young starting 4. We get a point guard that fits our system and another young guy who would be the best athlete on a team filled with great athletes.

LAL

Smush Parker, Andrew Bynum, and 1st round pick for Al.

DET

Ben Wallace for Al...straight up.

MIL

Magloire and a 1st rounder for Al.

GS

Monta Ellis, Troy Murphy, and either Taft of Biedrins (if we could) for Al.

HOU

Head and a couple 1st rounders (as long as Van Gundy is there they hardly bring in young guys anyway) for Al.

IND

David Harrison, James White and couple of 1st rounders for Al.

MIN

Marcus Banks and a couple 1st rounders for Al.

DAL

Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels for Al. This seems a little far fetched until you realize that DAL will resign JT and are really making a play at Mike James.

Personally I like the BOS, DAL, and HOU deals the best.

• Premium Member

...what Hawks brass has put out there that they want versus the actual availability of players that fit those basic criteria.

Maybe Crawford isn't a good candidate for all of ther reasons stated, but then you have to predict where BK/MW are going to compromise.

I don't see them compromising on experience, simply because it is an asset that both have spoken about, MW even going to the degree of talking out loud about the four veteran PG FAs. Also notable in that exchange is that none of those four are over 6-3. So, my guess is that, if Crawford's not the guy, it'll be a 6-3 veteran PG that they aim for.

Of course I would "take" Nate Robinson. How does he fit in? He's a point guard, and we don't have one of those. Is he ideal? Of course not. Ideal, however, is not the goal for which we're currently shooting. We have severely limited our options for PG, so much that we're actually talking about trading for Jamal Crawford (who isn't really even a good passing 2, much less a true 1).

Nate is inexpensive, and thus low risk. I would be thrilled to offer him a roster spot. I'm not suggesting we trade Al for him. Of course the salaries wouldn't match up, and I don't want any of their bad contracts. I'm just saying I would want Nate on our team given our options. I think he's a good player.

The better question is, why would you not "take" Nate Robinson?

Nate Robinson is a 5 foot 9 shooting guard who can't shoot. All these guys calling for players who just do not fit the Hawks. BK was on the radio and he said he wants a pg at least 6-2 who can push the ball and shoot the ball well. Robinson only satisifes ibe if the qualifications b/c he's certainly not that tall and he definitely isn't a good shooter. Anyone calling for Robinson or Crawford could not have watched a Knicks game this year or even watch Robinson in college.

I find it's often necessary to restate my case on this forum. Here is my argument:

I would "take" Nate Robinson, given a choice between Nate Robinson and nothing.

The reasons for that position are that

1) Nate Robinson essentially makes nothing

2) His nothing contract is short

3) He has some skills that are superior to some of our other players

4) He is young and has upside

5) He is a somewhat valuable commodity for future trades

What I am not arguing is that I would want to actually pursue a trade to acquire Nate or that I would try to acquire Nate to start at PG for us. I am certainly not "calling for Nate Robinson". I think that you folks assume I mean one of these things.

To argue against my position here is to say that you would not offer Nate Robinson, given his minimal contract, fair trade value, and good upside, one of 12-roster spots, because you believe we have 12 better options. Perhaps that is true, but you should understand the case you're effectively making. I don't believe that's your case. I believe your case is that you wouldn't want Nate to start at PG for us or that you wouldn't trade Al for him. That's fine, but you're not really arguing with me here. You're preaching to the choir, as I wouldn't want those things, either.

I just heard some of that Billy Knight interview on 790.

SCratch off players like Speedy and Nate Robinson. We're looking for a guy with SIZE so he can play alongside Ty Lue and Salim. We want a team with size with players capable of grabbing the rebound and pushing the ball up the floor the other way.

Jamal Crawford seriously fits the bill. I think we should go after him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I just heard some of that Billy Knight interview on 790.

SCratch off players like Speedy and Nate Robinson. We're looking for a guy with SIZE so he can play alongside Ty Lue and Salim. We want a team with size with players capable of grabbing the rebound and pushing the ball up the floor the other way.

Jamal Crawford seriously fits the bill. I think we should go after him.

He also mention that the play needs to be a good shooter. Crawford does not fill that bill

Read Sekou Smith's article in the AJC on Al. There are only 5 teams that can sign Al...and the only one that is interested in Al is Chicago. So that means's our asking price just went up. If any other team wants him (and many do) the will have to give us some value for him.