• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things I'm looking for in Summer League play.

KB21

1. I'm interested in seeing if Salim Stoudamire is going to utilize this summer league experience as an opportunity to improve some of his weaknesses. He needs to work on his ball handling and his ability to set up players for shots. It's going to be interesting to see if he uses his time during the summer league competition wisely, or if he will use this as an opportunity to show off his scoring ability and shooting. I hope he doesn't look at this experience as a chance to be the go-to scorer.

2. I'm intersted in seeing how assertive Marvin Williams is going to be offensively. He showed that he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket whenever he wanted to this past season. What I want to see is whether or not his strength work this offseason has helped him become a better finisher. Marvin is going to draw a lot of fouls on his drives, so he needs the strength to finish and gain the three point opportunities. I also want to see him have confidence in his perimeter jumper. Hopefully, he won't take as many 21 footers and will shoot a few more three pointers.

3. I'm interested in seeing if Esteban Batista continues to have problems communicating with his teammates on the court. He's a big, physical presence in the paint that needs to learn how to communicate to become better at rotating and help defense. Being able to communicate and understand will also help his positioning offensively.

4. I'm interested in seeing if the coaching staff utilizes Shelden Williams as a post scorer. I think he has the ability to be a solid offensive player in the post, so it will be interesting to see if they utilize him as a go to guy in the post or if he will just be a secondary option to a more perimeter oriented game.

5. I'm interested in seeing if Cedric Bozeman can play himself into a training camp invitation and a contract. I like the way Cedric plays the game. He's a hard worker and a good all around person, and I believe he is a guy that deserves to have something good happen to him after a possible star career was derailed early by injuries. I'm really pulling for this guy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post.

Concerning #1....we have had a tendency lately to try and make players do what we want to them to do, not what they do best. Salim is a scorer...he does that well, he needs to improve on his ball handling just a tad, but I don't want this staff to try and turn him into Stockton.

Also, I have a few NO games on the DVR, Speedy on his penetration and pick and rolls does a good job getting the ball to the wings for open jumpers, if Marvin/Smoove are consistent with there mid range jumpers they should live off Speedy's penetration.

I never really watched Speedys game until recently but it is hard to keep him out of the lane and he usually makes good decisions whenever he finishes or passes. He is not as good with on ball defense as I thought but he does play the passing lanes/help d better than any pg we have had in a while.

Shelden should abuse most summer leaguers on the boards...this is what I want to see, his offensive skills are underrated and I think most will be suprised with is mid range jump shot.

Quote:

Good post.

Concerning #1....we have had a tendency lately to try and make players do what we want to them to do, not what they do best. Salim is a scorer...he does that well, he needs to improve on his ball handling just a tad, but I don't want this staff to try and turn him into Stockton.

Also, I have a few NO games on the DVR, Speedy on his penetration and pick and rolls does a good job getting the ball to the wings for open jumpers, if Marvin/Smoove are consistent with there mid range jumpers they should live off Speedy's penetration.

I never really watched Speedys game until recently but it is hard to keep him out of the lane and he usually makes good decisions whenever he finishes or passes. He is not as good with on ball defense as I thought but he does play the passing lanes/help d better than any pg we have had in a while.

Shelden should abuse most summer leaguers on the boards...this is what I want to see, his offensive skills are underrated and I think most will be suprised with is mid range jump shot.

if Shelden doesn't dominate like a man playing against boys in the summer league then i will be very dissapointed.

he should push everyone around, even those taller than him. his basketball IQ should allow him to play even against players 4 inches taller than him.

Quote:

Quote:

I want him to beat out John Edwards/Estaban Batista for a roster spot.

Why cause he is balck??/ grin.gif

J/K

Nah Im just a sucker for the 40 inch vert and pterodactyl wing span. Oh and the fact that this guy actually compared his game to Ben Wallace and said when he becomes more polished offensively he'll be more like a KG. Pretty high praise for himself!

• Moderators

Quote:

Oh and the fact that this guy actually compared his game to Ben Wallace and said when he becomes more polished offensively he'll be more like a KG. Pretty high praise for himself!

Dr. Z should have recruited this guy on WIS. I can picture the email:

"Coach, I am a superstar defender like Ben Wallace right now but I'll be as good as KG once I become polished. You better line the honies up because everyone will be worshiping at the alter of Solomen if I come to play for you."

I am looking for the following:

1. Sheldon to prove he is ready to play from day one and hopefully start.

2. One of Esteban, Solomon Jones or Edwards to step up so that the Hawks have a legitimate reserve big man.

3. I want to see some aggression from Marvin. In his freshman year at UNC and as a Hawk rookie he deferred to others. I want to see him come in and dominate. I think it would be a good thing if he became a ball hog for summer league play so that he can get some confidence in himself.

4. I am penciling Speedy in as the starting point but I want some clarification as to who, other then Lue, can legitimately be relied upon for minutes when one or both of Speedy and Lue get hurt. Ivey, Salim, Grundy, someone else? All are huge question marks. Based on last seasons play, I do not want Ivey or Salim running the point at all so I want to see something (anything really) from one of those guys to justify minutes during the season. That and

5. I want to know whether Salim is just a Tony Delk/Eddie House type of player or something more. I am leaning towards the former but hope to be proven wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

Oh and the fact that this guy actually compared his game to Ben Wallace and said when he becomes more polished offensively he'll be more like a KG. Pretty high praise for himself!

Dr. Z should have recruited this guy on WIS. I can picture the email:

"Coach, I am a superstar defender like Ben Wallace right now but I'll be as good as KG once I become polished. You better line the honies up because everyone will be worshiping at the alter of Solomen if I come to play for you."

Lmao

i like Royal but i'm not sure why he still has a job with us. He's good defensively but we could find a zillion point guards out there who can play well defensively. If Bozeman can show more skill in shooting and setting up teammates, i might like to see him over Ivey.

Lue will be backup point and i'm fine with that but Speedy has to start.

I want to see more aggressiveness out of Marvin as if he's out there to show them what a #2 pick can do.

Salim better have his handles about him and better passing. I just don't want to see his outta control start firing up shots.

Shelden being aggressive also. That'd be nice. Word.

Guest Walter

Duh? If he's not Mr. good already, consistency we definately screwed up even worse on this selection. It's summer league and he should own it like the 4 year college player he is against the majority 2nd rders and invitees.

W

Quote:

Why is it that Sheldon has to prove himself from day 1...

and Marvin has been in the league for a whole year and still has nothing to prove?

becaue he's 3 years older than Marvin. Diesel I think i speak on behalf of the majority of us when i say

Just Shaaaaduuup! tongue.gif

Quote:

Why is it that Sheldon has to prove himself from day 1...

and Marvin has been in the league for a whole year and still has nothing to prove?

Well, Sheldon is as finished a college prospect as you are going to get and is arguably a more developed basketball player then either Smoove or Marvin.

Marvin still has everything to prove. Last year proved nothing to me as far as his performance went. I want to see some evidence justifying why he was such a high selection. I want to see that alleged "superstar potential."

I simply want to see him play solid minutes with solid play, thus earning his minutes.

At this point, all this BS about 'proving his draft spot' is useless...he's ours for at least the next three years. Where one was drafted (especially for someone as 'humble' as MW) matters not at this point; he won't be getting that many 'freebe' minutes, regardless of whether or not we retain Al's services...

Quote:

Being a UCLA fan I am praying Cedric makes this team. He should be a very good role player at the NBA level.

I'd like to see him make it too. It'd be a nice, inspirational story. But he's gonna have to earn it. I'm not sure how easy that's gonna be. Our roster is pretty well filled-up (and pending the Al Harrington situation, could become more or less so), and not with just garbage but with actual NBA quality players. We've now got depth like we haven't had in awhile.

Batista

Childress

Edwards

Grundy

Harrington

Ivey

Johnson

Jones

Lue

Zaza

Donta (though I believe he's been renounced?)

Smoove

Salim

Marvin

Shelden

Minus Donta and Harrington, that's 13 guys right there. Grundy, I don't know whether he can stick. Edwards I would rather didn't, but he might make the team by default because we do need some kind of depth at backup C- and it's either going to be Edwards or the rookie Solomon Jones, who looks like a really intriguing prospect with quite a bit of talent, but who is also a late bloomer and is extremely raw as a player.

Ivey, I'm torn on.