MW says he is a better player

BornandDieHawks

PRO BASKETBALL

Hawks looking for more from Marvin Williams

Last year's first-round pick says he's 'definitely a better player'

By CURTIS BUNN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/12/06

If you did not know any better, you would think all was well with the Hawks, that the peculiar and potentially crippling legal machinations were a figment of someone's cruel imagination.

There was Billy Knight, the team's general manager who has constructed a team of youthful, potential-laden talent, laughing and chatting it up Tuesday. Coach Mike Woodson and his staff were teaching and instructing a collection of young players.

And the players, none with more than two years of NBA experience, hardly seemed fazed by the legal proceedings that have consumed team ownership.

Rather, it was business as unusual for the Hawks, who begin play in a summer league in Utah on Thursday. It should mark, according to Woodson, the start of the emergence of their prized first-round pick of last year, Marvin Williams.

A breakout summer for Williams — and a trade of forward Al Harrington — certainly would assuage the taint of the court proceedings. Selected with the second pick of the 2005 NBA Draft, ahead of a couple of credible point guards, the 6-foot-9 Williams slowly progressed as a rookie, earning more and more playing time.

"Now, we're looking for Marvin to step up and do more," Woodson said. "I want him to shoot as much as he wants. ... I won't put the clamps on him at all. We brought him along slowly last year, which I think was the right thing. This [summer] team is his team; it's his time to shine. He can go out and do his thing."

Which brought a smile to Williams' face.

"I'm excited," he said. "It should be good for me. It's a big difference from last year to now. Completely different."

For one, Williams has worked hard on getting stronger, which promotes confidence in his ability to physically match up. "That's definitely better," he said. "I've been working on adding a post-up game, and being stronger helps with that."

Additionally, Williams, who last month turned 20, has an NBA season from which to draw.

"I know so much more. I watched some tape from last year, and it didn't even look like me out there," he said. "Last year was a learning experience for me. I'm definitely a better player, and I'm ready to show it."

Speedy Claxton is expected to show up today for the first time as the Hawks' new point guard. And Harrington could be dealt in a matter of days. See, business is moving right along.

"I'll let that [legal] stuff play itself out and keep going about my business," Knight said. "If the players ask questions about it, I answer them. But our focus is on what we have to do as a team, getting ready for next season."

Added Woodson: "I can't concern myself with [the legal issues]. I'm concerned, though. The side I'm on has done a great job in working hard to get this organization turned around. We're coaching and teaching, and that's what we're focused on. With Marvin, Salim [stoudamire] and Shelden [Williams], we have a lot to be excited about."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h.../0712hawks.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

"Now, we're looking for Marvin to step up and do more," Woodson said. "I want him to shoot as much as he wants. ... I won't put the clamps on him at all. We brought him along slowly last year, which I think was the right thing. This [summer] team is his team; it's his time to shine. He can go out and do his thing."

Which brought a smile to Williams' face.

"I'm excited," he said. "It should be good for me. It's a big difference from last year to now. Completely different."

So they had the clamps on him last year!! Woodson has learned his lesson with Diaw. Don't put clamps on talent like Marvin.

Marvin is the real deal people (Diesel). He will eventually be the star of this team.

what a great article...really gives you that optimism about Marvelous. we'll see if he finds the ability to do so as easy as the confidence. i think so. he has the natural talent. it's all about wanting it..sounds like he wants it.

and the part about getting stronger may mean they plan to play him at the powerforward position. also maybe he sees shelden as competition of the future.

or maybe he reads your posts Diesel.

Man I hope he just rips it up. I can just see him driving the ball hard to the basket, absorbing the contact and finishing. Then going to the line and hitting 85%. He's gonna be a beast. This is gonna be fun.

I guess this kinda solidifies he lineup as...

Speedy/Lue/Salim

JJ/Chillz/Salim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Shelden/Solomon

Zaza/Shelden/Esteban

This is why I didn't understand the stupidity of trade talk involving Marvin. Can someone tell me what game it was when he exploded for like 20 points in the quarter and all the scouts and NBA people were like...did you just see that? They were simply in awe! He has the ability and I'm glad Mike recognizes it! Makes it hard on the haters....LOL! Diesel...give us a trade proposal!

Quote:

So they had the clamps on him last year

There were times when they took the clamps off Marvin and told him to be more aggressive, and when that happened he would score very quickly. However they generally only let him go in the first half.

In the second halves of tight games he usually was a spectator.

I have to think that he will become a good shooter simply because his form is so good. And if you look at the improvement in the shots of the Joshs this past year you have to think that someone on that coaching staff knows a little about shooting.

His shot plus the fact that he is so quick with the ball and can drive and finish with either hand should make him and effective scorer fairly quickly. However to become a 20 ppg player he will need to develop his in between and post games, which may take a little longer.

I just hope he stops jumping into people when he goes inside. As much as I hate to say it i think the guy he should watch a lot of tape on is Diaw. Diaw is able to score very effectively inside against bigger players, although he didn't show much of that here.

Defensively Marvin erased my concerns about him completely during the second half of the season.

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how the rest of the guys in the camp will feel once they read that last quote from Mike, saying he's really excited about Marvin, Shelden, and Salim.

Claxton

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

M.Williams

S.Williams

Childress and ZaZa as the 6th and 7th men.

I'd Switch Smoove and Marvin because Smoove could help Shelden protect the basket and Marvin is the better 3 point shooter potentially.

Marvin Williams should watch some Antawn Jamison film, they are cut from the same cloth. Same size, same school, same talent. Except Marvin's even more gifted.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how the rest of the guys in the camp will feel once they read that last quote from Mike, saying he's really excited about Marvin, Shelden, and Salim.

Claxton

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

M.Williams

S.Williams

Childress and ZaZa as the 6th and 7th men.

I'd Switch Smoove and Marvin because Smoove could help Shelden protect the basket and Marvin is the better 3 point shooter potentially.

Marvin Williams should watch some Antawn Jamison film, they are cut from the same cloth. Same size, same school, same talent. Except Marvin's even more gifted.

I think if Marvin gets the 30-32MPG he should be able to produce 12PPG 6.5RPG type numbers this year with mide 40's shooting and maybe the low 30's in 3pt shooting.

Yeah, that article gets me excited. But, I don't look for Marvin to start right away. It would be much better for the team to start Shelden at PF and Zaza at C, so noone has to play out of position for too long. For anyone that cares about having high draft picks coming off the bench. Ask yourself, if that is what helps us win half of our games this year, then isn't it worth it? High quality depth is just as important as anything, to build a winning team.