• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Please some explain something to me!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Why is Smoove considered a better basketball player than Marvin? Other than block shots, what does Smoove do better than Marvin?

FG Shooting; Marvin > Smoove

FT Shooting; Marvin > Smoove

Scoring; Marvin > Smoove

Ball Handling; Marvin > Smoove

Finisher in half court; Marvin > Smoove

Finisher on the break; Marvin = Smoove

Post up player; Marvin > Smoove

Inside scorer; Marvin > Smoove

Outside Shooter; Marvin > Smoove

Slasher; Marvin = Smoove

Rebounding; Marvin = Smoove

Assist; Marvin = Smoove

Block Shots; Smoove > Marvin

Defense; Marvin = Smoove

Coachability; Marvin > Smoove

Team player; Marvin > Smoove

There are a lot of people on this board that think that Smoove is a better Small Forward than Marvin and for the life of me I can't figure out why! Please help me out. If you saw any of the SL games then you would know that Marvin is a polished scorer with polished moves outside and around the basket. And is a superve ball handler! Smoove is anything but a ball handler with a polished offensive game.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Why is Smoove considered a better basketball player than Marvin? Other than block shots, what does Smoove do better than Marvin?

Scoring; Marvin > Smoove

Slasher; Marvin = Smoove

Assist; Marvin = Smoove

Defense; Marvin = Smoove

There are a lot of people on this board that think that Smoove is a better Small Forward than Marvin and for the life of me I can't figure out why! Please help me out. If you saw any of the SL games then you would know that Marvin is a polished scorer with polished moves outside and around the basket. And is a superve ball handler! Smoove is anything but a ball handler with a polished offensive game.

Um, maybe because Smoove performed well in actual NBA games. Does that not count?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Um, maybe because Smoove performed well in actual NBA games. Does that not count?

Many rookies are out performed in actual game by veterans with less skill their 1st year but eventually the players with the most skill performs better. This is not a difficult concept.

I hope Marvin will be better than Smoove this year. I have to say Smoove has proven to be a game changer more so than Marvin. When he has games where he blocks 5-6 shots, sinks 3's, and gets his team and crowd into the game with tomahawk dunks it's obvious that he is on another level than Marvin at this point.

That's why I say Marvin has to do what he did in summer league at the highest level. I really do hope he shows out.

Ignoring the fact that Josh Smith has exceeded expectations while Marvin has not, Josh simply played better basketball than Marvin last year, especially after the all-star break. Additionally, Josh brings athleticism, strength, intensity, and excitement that Marvin has yet to demonstrate.

I like Marvin a lot. I think he is going to be a very good player. However, judging them by their performances in actual NBA games, Josh is the better player thus far.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah...Smoove didn't do spit in this year's SL.

confused.gif

Well PB...not trying to be a pain...but we can't really use Marvin's SL performance in comparing him to Smoove. That's not fair to JS cause he didn't appear there.

I'm not discounting Marvin's SL play though. He looks aggressive and is hitting some jumpers. I imagine the volume of foul shots he is getting will decrease somewhat in the regular season - but once he's not as much the center of attention - he should get some stickbacks and the like. It looks like he will definitely be a threat this year.

But to be fair, I'm sure JS has been practicing too.

• Premium Member

Quote:

. When he has games where he blocks 5-6 shots, sinks 3's, and gets his team and crowd into the game with tomahawk dunks it's obvious that he is on another level than Marvin at this point.

You make it seem as though Smoove hits threes or blocks 5-6 shots on a regular basis or that you could count on him to hit threes which is not the case. Smoove is a low percentage shooter until proven otherwise and other teams know this and that is why they leave him wide open to encourage him to shoot from the outside. Marvin on the other hand is respected for his outside shot because he is pretty good at it.

Every player in the NBA as some point can hit shots ask Antoine Walker. But what seperates the good shooter from the one who thinks that he can shoot is consistency. I would much rather have Ray Allen shooting my threes than Antonine Walker eventhough Walker has hit a few threes during his career.

First, Marvin and Smoove are on the same team. I hope they both have great games. I hope you feel the same way.

No, Smoove doesn't always have games like I described, but he is fairly consistent. He had quite a few games where he filled up the stat sheet in several categories during the last half of the year. Marvin played better, but not at the same level.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well PB...not trying to be a pain...but we can't really use Marvin's SL performance in comparing him to Smoove. That's not fair to JS cause he didn't appear there.

In case you didn't know this but this year was not the first time the NBA has sponsored summer league play. Smoove played last year after his rookie season too. So you know that you can compare the two right?

Quote:

Quote:

Many rookies are out performed in actual game by veterans with less skill their 1st year but eventually the players with the most skill performs better. This is not a difficult concept.

Josh and Marvin are the same age. We can only hope that Marvin's actual production equals the production Smoove had the second half of last season.

You are making an argument just for argument sake. Why? Marvin may have more "potential" but until that "potential" becomes reality in real NBA games then Smoove, based on his production to date, is the better player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smoove and Marvin are the same age..They would have been in the same graduating class in school..At this point Smoove is just a better all around player..Marvin may catch up, but he is not as good at this point.

You are still not helping me understand what Smoove does better other than block shots and an occasional dunk. I need stats! You know the usual 48 minute stats to compare two players. wink.gif

Quote:

Scoring; Marvin > Smoove

Slasher; Marvin = Smoove

Assist; Marvin = Smoove

Defense; Marvin = Smoove

Josh Smith is a better finisher and both half-court and fastbreak.You must not remember Marvin getting his shot block all the time.

Josh was also avg about 4 assit a game the second half of the season.Plus Marvin avg more turnovers than assits. So i dont know why you gave Marv the edge there.

Josh also shot better than marv from the 3pt line

Mavin shot better from midrange, so i would call it a tie.

both players played their best basketball the second half of the season.

Josh:

mpg 38.2/ppg 15.0 /Rebs 7.8/Apg 4.1/Bpg 3.1/Stl 1.0/TO 2.3

Fg% 42.6/3pt% 32,7/ ft% 71.1

Marvin

Mpg 28.0/ppg 11.1 /Rebs 5.4/Apg 0.8/Bpg 0.3/Stl 0.6/TO 1.3

Fg% 47.0/ 3pt% 0.67/ ft% 73.7

Now i'm not a Marvin hater, but people think Smoove is better be cause he played better.

Quote:

You are still not helping me understand what Smoove does better other than block shots and an occasional dunk. I need stats! You know the usual 48 minute stats to compare two players.
wink.gif

No, you don't need stats. It sounds like your mind is already made up.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh and Marvin are the same age. We can only hope that Marvin's actual production equals the production Smoove had the second half of last season.

What production are you referring to? Give me stats!! And even if Smoove was more productive, It was Smoove's second year in the league and second year in Mike Woodson's system. On top of that Smoove was a starting player and Marvin came off the bench. By the way Marvin is younger than Smoove. In fact he was the second youngest players in the NBA last year.

Quote:

...In case you didn't know this but this year was not the first time the NBA has sponsored summer league play. Smoove played last year after his rookie season too. So you know that you can compare the two right?

LOL...yeah PB, you can go back and compare their shooting percentages in junior high too if you want to. History is just that. If you want to compare the current MW to the current JS you need to watch the first 20 or so regular season games.

First of all, both players still have a ways to go. Smoove with his consistency and all out effort and sometimes even attitude. Marvin needs to bring all his skills to the table consistently as well. On different levels they've done different things. In high school Marvin and Josh were rivals with Marvin usually winning the admiration of scouts when they were both coming out. Josh had the advantage of using that all important first season of NBA ball to understand the level of competition and speed of the game.

No matter what anyone tells you, college prepares you yes, but it doesn't tell you how to be an NBA ballplayer. This season it's going to be fun to watch two players on the verge of stardom excel. I love Marvin's all around game better, but to this point Smoove has exceeded the naysayers predictions.

Quote:

Quote:

Smoove and Marvin are the same age..They would have been in the same graduating class in school..At this point Smoove is just a better all around player..Marvin may catch up, but he is not as good at this point.

You are still not helping me understand what Smoove does better other than block shots and an occasional dunk. I need stats! You know the usual 48 minute stats to compare two players. wink.gif

Well, if that is the only measure Smoove averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, more blocks, had a better assist-to-turnover ratio, committed fewer fouls and shot a higher percentage from the 3-point line. But Marvin did average a higher shooting percentage and higher free throw shooting percentage.