• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

This is taken from Real GM:

Chad Ford just said on a Toronto Radio Station that on his rankings of GM's in the league Knight would be 30th. Reactions?.. Do you guys agree with that.

Agree? No.

Surprised? No. The funny thing is that BK does the very things Ford advocates in many cases and just gets reemed by Ford for doing it (not signing people to overpriced contracts; taking Ford's #1 prospect in the draft; etc.).

• Premium Member

Chad Ford, who I might add used to run Sportstalk.com the by FAR worst internet sports rumor site on the net which got bought out and turned into ESPN "Insider" because of the heavy traffick it got, hates Billy Knight. I am not in the slightest a BK fan but he has done some positive things to the team. Ford refuses to acknowledge any of them and simply blasts him.

I think Mr. "Insider" thought Billy would open up to him like Babcock used to do (and trust me Petey was chummy with many in the media) and he found instead a stubborn old bulldog who won't reveal any cards in his hands even to fans. BK might be an aloof prick but he's that way to everyone. Chad got his little ESPN feelings hurt and has been anti-Knight ever since then.

In all seriousness BK gets an "incomplete" as a GM because he has never put a winner on the table. Yes he has helped clean up some big messes but until he finishes the job (i.e., puts a winning team together) it is impossible to consider him a successful GM.

He definitely should get credit for being better then his record (because he would be the worst GM if that were the case).

Agree totally that the jury is still out on BK. Problem with all the a$$holes on radio/tv is they have to make big splashes to get peoples attention. And BK is completely the opposite. Always beneath the radar. that's his style. I think the dude on the radio is nothing more than a pimp.

At the end of the day, success in sports is measured by wins and losses.

Until one of his teams wins something BK will never be mentioned among the elite front office men of the NBA.

We should know alot more about BK's abilities after this season, since the core of the team (JJ, JS, MW ZP, JC) has already had a season together.

Out of all the basketball writers, I would rank Ford, shall we say, somewhere below #30. He really seems to go out of his way to go after BK. I'm more of a fence sitter for BK-- I see some good, some questionable, moves, but I will wait for the Al fiasco to resolve itself and see how we are playing about 20 games into the season to make a judgment. If BK is so bad, why does Ford seem to take so many opportunities to bash him? Anybody here have favorite basketball writers (actually, for moderate, intelligent writing, I like Sekou)? I don't pay much attention. I am picky about baseball writers and have more expertise there.

Quote:

If BK is so bad, why does Ford seem to take so many opportunities to bash him?

There is definitely some personal animosity in Fords comments about BK that I don't see when he writes about others.

I think i know why. Ford has a lot of contacts around the league that give him information for his articles. He gets nothing from BK obviously. BK thinks himself above writers and Ford resents it and takes every opportunity to bash him.

If BK was more media friendly i am sure Ford wouldn't be harping on the Marvin pick so much.

I could really care less what Chad Ford thinks about Billy Knight or any reason he constantly bashes him. It gets pretty old, and it's more than obvious that he's got a personal vendetta against Billy.

What has the media ever done to deserve having Billy be media friendly to them? There are very few writers that deserve to be treated well. I could probably count on one hand how many writers have earned that type of respect.

Personaly, I think Billy should drop Chad's name in an interview as an example of a reporter that doesn't know anything about the game, but I know Billy is above that. He's not going to call out anyone by name.

• Moderators

Quote:

Knight is in the bottom rung until he proves he can put a winning product on the floor.

On the bottom rung with every other GM in the league who hasn't put a winning product on the floor or below everyone else?