• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best no-name Hawk in History...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Lighten the mode abit...

The question is what no-name Hawk in Hawks history gave the most to the team...(Best impact)

I'll start off with: Tyronne Corbin.

He's kinda borderline though?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Any Hawks fan worth his salt should know him. He was an excellent defensive player, one of the best team defenders in the NBA for at least twelve years or so. I just wish his jumper was a little bit better. We could have used that offense in the second round of the playoffs for several years in the 90's.

Cliff Levingston? John Battle?

• Premium Member

I loved having Cliffy and Battle coming off the bench. There was a time when the Hawks had the best bench in the NBA. I'm glad Cliffy got at least two rings with the Bulls, too bad it was not with us though.

Randy Wittman was a good choice, he made our offense work much more smoothly with his outside range. I'd toss in Antoine Carr but he shouldn't be a no name. Players like Battle and Levingston would qualify though.

Man! That was the team!

Doc Rivers

Randy Wittman

Dominique Wilkins

Kevin Willis

Tree Rollins

Spud Webb

John Battle

Cliff Levingston

Antoine Carr

Forgive me if I don't include Jon Koncak, because he is the one Hawk that I absolutely could not stand at all.

That was when I first started watching Hawks basketball.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Man! That was the team!

Doc Rivers

Randy Wittman

Dominique Wilkins

Kevin Willis

Tree Rollins

Spud Webb

John Battle

Cliff Levingston

Antoine Carr

Forgive me if I don't include Jon Koncak, because he is the one Hawk that I absolutely could not stand at all.

That was when I first started watching Hawks basketball.

That is still by far my favorite Hawks team. I was old enough by then to really "get" everything about the game and was just in love at how balanced our roster was. Fratello never should have been fired and when he even thought about coaching again with the Grizz we should have jumped all over him to come back to Atlanta.

Oh well. I agree about Koncrap. I still hate that man (as a player not the person) all these years later because of how he made our offense 5-4 against us.

Yep. They really messed up when they brought in Reggie Theus and Moses Malone, even though Moses gave us a couple of good years. Moses was obviously on the decline at that point. That team never meshed, and that's what ended up costing Mike his job. I agree that he never should have been fired.

Quote:

i loved grant long

Agreed. He was way better than he got credit for.

When he was announcing I could tell he would get frustrated with all the missed rotations and the layups the Hawks would give up.

Once when he was talking about his playing days the announcer with him kept talking about how Grant always gave maximum effort. Grant recalled how people always used to come up and praise him for giving 100% all the time. He confessed to being confused by this. In his mind if you were on the court you gave 100%, there was no other way to play.

• Premium Member

I liked Moses, he gave us what was left in his tank. Unfortunatley it wasn't enough. Theus, ugh, never liked him as a Hawk and I always thought he was overrated. I still remember my father almost heartbroke when they let Carr get away. He loved him more than he did 'Nique and what he brought to the team.

Fratello was the last Hawk coach I've liked. Yes, that includes Lenny although I think he did a good job with what we had. If Corbin could have hit a little better from outside those teams in the 90's could have advanced beyond the 2nd round.

Why didn't the Spirit go after Fratello when he considered the Grizz job? I know no one here knows why but I really do think he would have done a great job with our young guys.

• Premium Member

Grant Long was another good one. I'm just confused as to where "No name" applies. Long was considered a good hustle man and fierce defender for years in Miami and Atlanta.

I also liked him as an announcer. I'd love to see him and Smitty together as the announcing team.

• Admin

YOu can't forget Scott Hastings ... He did a good job of keeping the bench warm.

Actually Stacey Augmon was a good no name player.

I would have also chosen Battle and Wittman. Both played their roles very well. Antoine Carr and Cliffy were an extremely underrated front court coming off the bench. Tree was another no name who was a Solid defensive center for us. His blocks got a lot of Niques breaks going.