• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Call up Mitch Kupchak ASAP...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Al/Edwards/Lue to LAL

Odom/1st to Atlanta.

Why this deal?

If LAL takes Al, then they would have Al/Radman/Odom teetering around that PF/SF area. The truth is that many times last year, Odom couldn't work out with Kobe.

I see Odom as being a great fit here at PF.

There has never been a more BK player. He's long, versatile, and he's athletic.

We get LAL a break on Salary.

We get a player we like.

Imgaine:

Speedy, JJ, JSmoove, Odom, Zaza...

With JChillz, Marvin, Shelden off the bench!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Speedy, JJ, JSmoove, Odom, Zaza...

With JChillz, Marvin, Shelden off the bench!

That makes for a decent xbox team but there is still no real big defensive player in that starting lineup which makes for a horrible NBA team. I agree we have got to get a big body for Al or depend on a rookie (Sheldon and/or Solomon) to be our enforcer (KMart/Grant) type player in his 1st year. Unless you think Odum fits that bill; which I do not...

I think MWill will be our starting 3 if not at the start of this season then definetely by this season's end. That puts Smoove at the 4 or possibly on the bench. It just makes so much more sense to get a center out of this deal than another forward. We drafted 5 forwards in a row with 5 1st round picks going back to Diaw. We need a player who can give us good defensive minutes at center.

I don't care if he can start right now or is a project coming off the bench; we need another center period. Otherwise we look really good on xbox but end up giving the Suns a great draft pick...

Quote:

The Lakers don't do that deal in a million years. AL for Odom straight up may work...that leaves a Laker 1st for Lue and Edwards? I don't think so.

I agree and on a side note we need Odum (Talented SF/PF Tweener) about as badly as the Lakers need another SG...

Quote:

So according to you we should either

A. Fill up our cap with mediocre players

Who said mediocre players? Don't twist the facts. I am saying its better to get a sure thing than nothing.

Apparently what you want to do is overpay players.

The Bulls aren't parting with Hinrich. Period. He is the face of that franchise. They may move Gordon or Deng at some point down the road. They don't move Hinrich. If they bump up against the tax they will make other moves. Hinrich will be a BULL for a long time.

Kaman is a very good big in a league where good bigs are scarce. We aren't getting Kaman either. If the tax becomes an issue for the Clips they will manuever and keep Kaman.

What some don't understand is that these FA's aren't going anywhere for the most part. Accumulating proven talent is far too tough to watch it leave. I also don't think Hinrich even takes the max. He will cut a good solid deal and stay where he is...that's why when you get a chip like AL you do what you can to get some real talent back. You don't use a player like Al to to take a late 1st next year or to sucker somebody into taking a lousy player like Edwards. You get a player like Harrison or you trade with a team where you can get good value that helps the team now.

Quote:

They don't want to set a precedent by giving Kaman a max deal then having to deal with overpaying their own guys to keep them. Let's don't discount the Donald Sterling factor either: he's the literal case example used in all sports for a cheap owner. Why would he ok giving Kaman a max deal or matching one for him?

As for Hinrich, we can dish out Lue or Claxton if need be for a servicable backup point guard. Claxton is not a franchise point guard and frankly isn't even really a starting one. He's best served as a sixth man off the bench in the PG role like he was used in NO/OKC.

The biggest problem with trying to acquire Kamen or Hinrich is that the ownership mess will likely still not be resolved and there is no way the team will shell out a max contract under those circumstances.

Beyond that, I don't think the Hawks will be in position to give out a max contract unless it is to someone already on the roster - i.e., Josh Smith or Marvin Williams will be do big extensions in the next few years.

• Premium Member

About Kwame.

I like his physical dimensions... I think he could find a place here. But he's just a BU.

Part of his problem is that people wanted too much from him too soon... I don't know if he ever developed the mentality that he needs to have to cope with life as an NBA star.

However, if we brought him here, playing on a team full of young players who are all competitive should spark something.

Honestly though, I would rather take my chances with Mihm. I think that Mihm brings a lot more to the table than you guys give him credit. If we are able to force Indy's hand in the next 2 weeks, I hope we follow up with Lue for Mihm..

Quote:

...You don't use a player like Al to to take a late 1st next year or to sucker somebody into taking a lousy player like Edwards...

If the Chicago deal were to happen - you could almost see the handwriting on the wall with Edwards:

(during next year's playoffs)

Play-by-play guy: "Well the Bulls had to work through some injuries this year but the bright spot has been the emergence of Edwards. He's been putting up some solid numbers game after game".

Color guy: "Yeah it looks like all Edwards needed was some minutes and somebody to have confidence in his game".

(no - I don't think this will really happen but you never know with the Hawks)

• Premium Member

Over 30 replies and the best someone can offer is "Chris Mihm sucks." It's threads like this one that make me want to start my own Hawks' blog.

Someone come up with a better trade that fills the Hawks' needs (cash, backup big man, draft pick, expiring contracts) and that the other team would actually consider.

Until then, I'm giving this thread the big:

mad.gif

• Premium Member

Mihm does in fact suck. tongue.gif

Zero defense, mediocre rebounding, a career backup until last season where he was forced to start...what's the attraction? Only if we got an unprotected 1st rounder from the Lakers would it be worthwhile IMO.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

So according to you we should either

A. Fill up our cap with mediocre players

Who said mediocre players? Don't twist the facts. I am saying its better to get a sure thing than nothing.

Apparently what you want to do is overpay players.

We already overpaid Joe Johnson to get him on this team. If we have to overpay to bring in a real floor leader like Hinrich or a real good young big in Kaman then that is what we do.

After all what is the point of conserving cap space except to go after needed free agents to make your team competitive? Last I heard cap space didn't win you too many games.

• Premium Member

That's nice Sothron, but propose a better deal and I'll listen.

First, Mihm would only asked to be a backup. Second, he's a decent rebounder, can score in the post, is a decent shotblocker, and has an expiring contract.

He's better than any other free agent big man still available, not to mention the fact that the Hawks would be getting both him and Cook for only $1.6M.

While it's not a fantastic deal, it's a feasible deal for both teams. No one is going to give up an exciting young big man AND a great first rounder for Al. Al wants to go to a contender, so any draft pick you get would be mediocre.

Quote:

After all what is the point of conserving cap space except to go after needed free agents to make your team competitive? Last I heard cap space didn't win you too many games.

It has other uses than just free agents. Like getting someone that will help through trade. Thats the thing I want to do because there is NO guarantee that Kaman or Hinrich will 1) want to go here and 2) be able to go here. You get a good player from a trade and thats a lock for the duration of the contract. And chances are the contract will be a lot better than what we give Hinrich or Kaman.

• Premium Member

What good players exactly are you talking about? We already lost our chance to get Magloire. The only other names I'm seeing bandied about are Chris Mihm (ugh) or hoping we can talk Denver into letting go of Miller or Camby. Who else do you have in mind that we can realistically trade for?

Quote:

What good players exactly are you talking about? We already lost our chance to get Magloire. The only other names I'm seeing bandied about are Chris Mihm (ugh) or hoping we can talk Denver into letting go of Miller or Camby. Who else do you have in mind that we can realistically trade for?

I haven't thought up of any elaborate trade plans, mainly because I think its silly and I don't waste my time with crap like that. What I do know is that getting someone from trade is a sure thing, saving our cap space and waiting until restricted free agency next year is a major gamble.

I totally agree with everything you just said. The truth is that FA's are a major crapshoot. Teams waiting to get healthy playing in that arena may wait a long, long time. Good trades are something that you can count on assuming you know how to make good trades.

That's why I want to leverage AL to get a good solid piece that helps us now. I never envisioned Billy taking a #1 only for him. That's just stupid. It was stupid to limit the field and stupid to get a #1 only. AL has very little to say at this point. He is in our hands and he wants the money.

BTW, since BK has been in Atlanta, what is the best trade that he has pulled off? Not drafted. Not signed as a FA. Has BK pulled off a good trade here?