• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks and Cap Space..............

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hawks have cap space right?

As a matter of fact the Hawks have had cap space for a couple of years and are waiting as some say to use it on the right players.

I would like to be educated on which of those players we are saving the cap space for.

Ok HawkSquawk GM's, especially those that say BK is the greatest GM in the history of the league, give me your most educated guess on what BK and the Hawks will do with our cap space.

KG can opt out of his contract after this upcoming season. Not saying he would come here or opt out. It is one scenario where having capspace could come in handy. Also is important to maintain cap flexibility to re-sign some of our young players. BK is doing a fine job of not wasting capspace on players not worth it.

Guest Walter

Quote:

BK is doing a fine job of not wasting capspace on players not worth it.

...and on not much else.

You can't always bargain hunt, you can't always look for talent equitable or better trades, you can't always wait. At some point you must do. The stars won't align for you where you have everything we had going for us to make a team this offseason and when it does you better do more than bargain hunt and fill holes with BUs.

W

• Premium Member

I think the truth of the matter is BK is a Debttime GM. I'm not saying that our owners don't have the money... but I'm saying that right now, their main focus is to pay down the debt. Because BK has always been a GM who likes to work from the draft... He probably convinced them that he can run the team "on the cheap" as long as there can be a couple of moves to make the team better... ala JJ.

I suspect that we won't spend any of that cap money any time soon or better yet, until the debt that is owed is payed off. This Belkin situation really messes up everything though? Would you spend big money if you knew that there was a possibility that you could lose it all?

So the Spirit will probably continue it's low spending until they are the owners. Belkin will spend low even after he is the owner.

I say it's time for the Don (D. Stern) to step up and take the Hawks and put them back up for sale. I'm sure that there's some clause in the ownership papers that allows for the league and the board of Governors to take back a franchise if the franchise is making moves that is unbecoming to the league.

Quote:

They need to maintain future capspace, so the can have a change to bring Dwight Howard back home to the ATL in a few yrars.

wink.gif

Well ,he said he always wanted to play for the hawks.

Let see if he meant it.

Every Hawks fan's dream. I really wonder what we would have had to trade to move up in that draft, seems like we should have done it.

Quote:

Quote:

They need to maintain future capspace, so the can have a change to bring Dwight Howard back home to the ATL in a few yrars.

wink.gif

Let see if he meant it.

Every Hawks fan's dream. I really wonder what we would have had to trade to move up in that draft, seems like we should have done it.

You never know.....but maybe if we had held on to SAR, Ratliff and Mohammed until the draft.We may have had a better chance to make a trade with orlando.

• Moderators

Quote:

You never know.....but maybe if we had held on to SAR, Ratliff and Mohammed until the draft.We may have had a better chance to make a trade with orlando.

How so?

Bear in mind our record would have been better so our lottery pick would have been higher.

If you assume we only drop 3 spots and would have had the #9 pick, how do you figure having those guys would get Orlando to move Howard to us?

buy trading one or two of them to orlando.

Remember they still had Tmac at the time.

They were trying to win now.. not rebuild.

So maybe they could have use Sar or Theo or both.

C:Ratliff

PF: SAR

SF: G.Hill

SG: Tmac

pg: uhh i forgot confused.gif

That might have kept Tmac from asking for a trade

Quote:

yeah, dhoward and chris paul are gonna leave their teams for us after the rookie contract

paul/speedy

jj/slim

marvin/chill

smoove/shelden

dhoward/zaza

that'll be our lineup in a few years!

Should we be real quite so we don't wake you up from that dream? Would be great if it happened but it can't and won't

• Moderators

Quote:

buy trading one or two of them to orlando.

Remember they still had Tmac at the time.

They were trying to win now.. not rebuild.

So maybe they could have use Sar or Theo or both.

C:Ratliff

PF: SAR

SF: G.Hill

SG: Tmac

pg: uhh i forgot
confused.gif

That might have kept Tmac from asking for a trade

I seriously, seriously doubt that Orlando would have considered trading the #1 overall for Shareef and Ratliff.

At best, I think they would have drafted Okafor if they wanted to take a "win now" approach. However, I think T-Mac was already out the door by draft day (he was traded within the week) based on his quiting at the end of the previous season. Reef and Ratliff just didn't have that much value at that point.

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Hawks have cap space right?

As a matter of fact the Hawks have had cap space for a couple of years and are waiting as some say to use it on the right players.

I would like to be educated on which of those players we are saving the cap space for.

Let's get this back on topic.

I have two major problems with your perspective.

First, how can you say we are waiting to use our capspace when we signed a player to a maximum contract last offseason?

Second, why do we have to have any players in mind presently to use capspace in the future? Is capspace wasted if you can't name the player you will pursue next offseason?

Yeah, the Hawks are waiting to use it on the right player(s). We already got one with Joe Johnson. Naming a player we will pursue is basically guessing anyway.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

Let see if he meant it.

actually, we had a FIFTY PERCENT chance...we tied clips and lost the coinflip

if we had won it, we woulda had their #2 pick and then we coulda gotten howard from orlando since they were on the fence b/t howard and okafor...we coulda offered em something to make them trade picks

we were THISSSS close to smoove/howard combo frown.gif