• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which rebuilding team would you trade rosters with

CBAreject

It's amazing how many people on this board think that those other teams have better rosters than ours.

But I guess I should expect from our fickle and highly critical fan base.

Do you guys really think that those other teams have more potential on our roster than we already have now? People act like Smoove is the 2nd coming. And Marvin is the next great foward. And JJ is already a damn Olympian. Yet, some of you are choosing to go with another roster instead of what we have now?

If Dwight Howard is a future MVP candidate, what does that make Joe Johnson?

Get behind your team people.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

It's amazing how many people on this board think that those other teams have better rosters than ours.

But I guess I should expect from our fickle and highly critical fan base.

Do you guys really think that those other teams have more potential on our roster than we already have now? People act like Smoove is the 2nd coming. And Marvin is the next great foward. And JJ is already a damn Olympian. Yet, some of you are choosing to go with another roster instead of what we have now?

If Dwight Howard is a future MVP candidate, what does that make Joe Johnson?

Get behind your team people.

Don't be silly - I like Joe Johnson, but you're being ridiculous. Dwight Howard is a 20 year old 2nd year player out of high school who is putting up 16 & 12.5 - thats crazy. JJ is a fine player, but he's also in his 6th season and couldn't lead Atlanta to a better record that Orlando.

And for the record I would swap Orlando's roster with Atlanta - just for Howard alone.

I think people consider Joe Johnson a Ray Allen level player (less scoring, more passing). He's good enough to be an all-star, but he's not an MVP candidate.

Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh both have a good chance to at least place in the top 3 in MVP at some point. Both players have a chance for Garnett status.

The only player that I believe has a chance at that for us is MW, and that is much more of a stretch, given that he hasn't shown us what Bosh and Howard have.

yup, not to mention big men are more valuable at equal talent.

I mean Dwight Howard's body is just unreal. Much like Lebron but for big men. To have that size, that much strength, that much mobility, and that much talent at such a young age is just unreal. God help us if he learns to shoot free throws better, which he should because he has good form. Yet JJ is on Team USA, but so is Howard at age 20, and he led the league in rebounding. I support JJ and all the other hawks, but that doesn't stop me from saying that Howard is more impressive, especially in terms of potential. There's no shame in that. Nique was awesome, but MJ was better. That's life.

I don't think you realize how good Howard is northcyde.

At age 20 in their 2nd season....

Kevin Garnett: 17.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.2 bpg, .499 fg%

Dwight Howard: 15.8 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 1.4 bpg, .531 fg%

Garnett was actually 7 months older for this comparison, too. Howard's numbers as a 19-year-old rookie were better than Karl Malone's as a 22-year-old rookie.

Quote:

We have two centers who would both be backups on all of those teams except maybe Toronto.

We have 3 munchkin pgs one of which (Salim) isn't a pg at all. Lue can't play D and Speedy has been fragile.

We have two maybes at the 4 (Maybe Shelden will make a strong transition to the pros. Maybe Smith will become effective at the 4.)

If the Hawks do nothing the next five years other than resign their own players and keep everyone together they have absolutely no chance of being title contenders.

They need help in the middle in a bad way. Wright/Zaza doesn't cut it.

I don't think it is such a stretch. Look at Chris Bosh's numbers when he was a rookie. His per 40 numbers and Marvin's per 40 numbers are almost identical from their rookie years. Chris had a higher PER rating, but they both averaged right around 13.7 P/40 and around 8 R/40.

They have some young talent, but they don't have anyone that has the ability to take over and dominate the game. None of their players are in the same class as Joe Johnson as an established player and Marvin Williams relative to his potential.

Quote:

I don't think it is such a stretch. Look at Chris Bosh's numbers when he was a rookie. His per 40 numbers and Marvin's per 40 numbers are almost identical from their rookie years. Chris had a higher PER rating, but they both averaged right around 13.7 P/40 and around 8 R/40.

I agree with the stat comparison but a big is much more valuable to any franchise than a wing. If a draft was held right now and Bosh, Howard, and MWill were in it, don't you think it would go Howard, Bosh, MWill in that order?

This is not a knock on our players or GM. Its just the reality of the NBA. We never had the chance to take Bosh or Howard, so BK did nothing wrong here. Think about it from a NBA GM's perspective (not a Hawks fan view point). Do you want Vince Carter (MWill) or KG (Bosh or Howard) on your team?

I take my chances with KG all day long!

I agree. The guy who plays in the post will be more valued, just like a quarterback is more valued than any other position in football. I don't think it diminishes the potential that Marvin has though. Even though he would go third amongst the three, he still has the type of ability to be at their level of stardom in the NBA.

At least I'm glad to FINALLY see that the NONE - I LIKE OUR ROSTER section of the poll has taken the lead over Orlando.

Good Lord.

As much as KB seems to be over the top on most of his posts, he's the only one that

1) give JJ the credit he deserves as a guy who can literally take over a game ( scoring or playmaking wise ), which makes him a potential MVP candidate IF he gets the shots to put up big numbers night after night

. . and

2) would ONLY take Orlando solely because of Dwight Howard, who is becoming a demon in the post. No one doubts that Howard will be an All-Star in a year or two. But when you look at the rest of that lineup, does ANYONE outside of Jameer Nelson impress you one bit? At best, Jameer is the 2nd coming of Damon Stoudamire, which is a big compliment to him.

This board is so curious though. One minute, people want a 19 ppg - 7 rebs guy who can definitely provide offensive punch, but no defense, in Al gone FOREVER . . . while the rest of the NBA thinks we're crazy.

Then you have some proclaiming that Marvin can be a top 3 - 5 MVP candidate in the future.

And we all know who the "Josh Smith will be a superstar" supporters are.

And almost all of those guys love those two, over the guy who basically gives us any hope for the future in the first place, in JJ. You would think the entire fan base would be right behind JJ, like they were behind Steve Smith back in the day . . . but they're not . . even though JJ put up 20 ppg and damn near 7 assist playing a position he's played only ONCE in a two month stretch back in Phoenix.

But when viewing the Hawks collectively, those same people have no confidence in this team as a whole.

Oh well. Winning cures everything. I just hope those people that don't believe in this team as a whole, don't act like they proclaimed a 40 - 50 win season right from the jump.

I know how good Howard is. And he may very well have more potential than JJ. But I have to question whether Hawk fans know how good JJ is.

People keep comparing JJ to Ray Allen. If I were JJ, that'll be a slap in the face, considering that JJ can do a hell of a lot more things than Ray.

JJ may be a better shooting version of Paul Pierce, a guy who can do it all. When he had adequate help, he helped the C's get to the ECF.

I voted for our roster but it was tough. I think Marvin is showing every bit of potential and will continue to do so. For all the hype and all the naysayers, he's still ONLY in his second year. I fully expect that by next year there won't be any more speculating on his ability/potential and we'll be more concerned of how soon we can get him a new contract. Smoove is one year ahead of Marvin in his progression and having an AK47 clone is never a bad thing. Oh, and we have a still-developing Joe Johnson also! Not a shabby roster at all when I look at our roster after not paying attention for a while (thanks, WIS!).

I like Orlando because they have the pieces we're missing that are genrally harder to find - a solid point and an all-star big. They'd be 1/1a with our roster.

I like Toronto because TJ Ford looked great at times last season and Bosh looked great most times last season. Again, a solid point and an all-star big, but I'd rate them 3rd.

Quote:

I know how good Howard is. And he may very well have more potential than JJ. But I have to question whether Hawk fans know how good JJ is.

People keep comparing JJ to Ray Allen. If I were JJ, that'll be a slap in the face, considering that JJ can do a hell of a lot more things than Ray.

JJ may be a better shooting version of Paul Pierce, a guy who can do it all.
When he had adequate help, he helped the C's get to the ECF.

Are you talking about JJ or Paul Pierce? JJ was traded halfway through that season.

yup, talent wise, I think JJ will be in the PP - Ray Allen class of players. Perennial all-stars, team leaders, but guys who probably can't carry a team to a title as a #1 option. And like I said, JJ is my favorite hawk. He's nasty. That doesn't mean he has to be the greatest of all time. There's nothing wrong with being a realistic fan. Paul Pierce put up near MVP stats this past season, and that translated to 33 wins and 49 losses. I just think they're all do-it-all amazingly talented guys with no real flaws, but they need significant help to get W's on a nightly basis. That's not the class of a Shaq-Duncan type who automatically gives you tremendous odds of winning the game anytime he plays almost regardless of who he plays with. I think Dwight could be in that class.

I would trade Ray Allen for Dwight Howard in a heartbeat.

I would trade Paul Pierce for Dwight Howard in a heartbeat.

There's nothing wrong with being a realistic fan. I hope JJ can be an MVP, I will root for him to, I just don't think he will be at this point in time.

That being said, go Joe!

Whether you would take Howard or JJ/Pierce/Allen is a question of your playing philosophy. Elite big men are not the sine qua non for championship success as Kevin Garnett, and Shawn Kemp would explain to you. More than likely championship teams are run by elite guards/SF anchored by good big men.

I.E.

Isaiah's Pistons

Chauncey Rip Pistons

Miami Heat

Chicago Bulls (Jordon era)

76ers (Dr. J era)

Celtics (bird era)

Lakers (Post Kareem's prime)

The opposite of these would be

60's Lakers (Wilt)

Early Lakers (Kareems Prime)

Houston in mid 90's

Spurs (Duncan)

My argument is that it is easier to win with Elite guards and good centers, than it is to win with elite big men and good guards. Or at worst it is an even lock.