• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Has JJ moved to the realm of UNTOUCHABLE?

Diesel

Quote:

Quote:

My problem with it all is the overhyping, and yes, I said overhyping, of Dwight Howard. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he great? no. Can he be great? Maybe....

Word from a Magic fan I know is that Howard's effort tends to vary with the importance of the game. He gets up for big games but doesn't play hard all the time.

What!!!?? You've got to be kidding me! DH2 overhyped? This kid ranks #2 in the league in defensive and offensive rebounds per game, and #1 in total per game. Ranks in top ten if FG% and # 18 in blocks.

This kid has had multiple 20 plus rebounding games, and avegages double doubles. Every where I go everyone (media, fans)give this kid props. He's done things that havn't been done since Shaq, Zo, or even Duncan for that matter during their young years....

And as far as him not playing hard based on the importance of the game, is not true also. That kid give his all, every game. He goes over and beyong the call of duty to make sure he's got his head on strait for a game. Every game is important to him. He knows if he doesn't show up no one will. He is the poster boy for the O. What that fan said about him is not even his character, or style. frown.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I hestitated to say it but I feel he's Smooth with a different body and skill set. Both of them are great athletes for their size. But they both are lacking some key skills that they will need in order to be "great". While Howards size and body lend to him having a greater impact initially. I think his lack of shooting ability may set him behind smooth in the long run.

Never...How can you compare a prson who is a legit center at 6'11 to a person who is 6'8 and plays a different position? Agreeing that he does need to work on a short jump shot, but Josh plays the 3 or 4 which a true jump shot is needed.

Quote:

What!!!?? You've got to be kidding me! DH2 overhyped? This kid ranks #2 in the league in defensive and offensive rebounds per game, and #1 in total per game. Ranks in top ten if FG% and # 18 in blocks.

This kid has had multiple 20 plus rebounding games, and avegages double doubles. Every where I go everyone (media, fans)give this kid props. He's done things that havn't been done since Shaq, Zo, or even Duncan for that matter during their young years....

And as far as him not playing hard based on the importance of the game, is not true also. That kid give his all, every game. He goes over and beyong the call of duty to make sure he's got his head on strait for a game. Every game is important to him. He knows if he doesn't show up no one will. He is the poster boy for the O. What that fan said about him is not even his character, or style.

Howard shoots 26% on his jumpers which sucks;

http://www.82games.com/0506/05ORL14A.HTM

Howard blocks 1.4 shots per game which is what Mihm did in the 04-05 season.

As far as his effort goes I will take the word of a Magic homer who has watched all the games. Maybe if you actually watched him during the season instead of just reading his press clippings you might learn a little more about his game.

How has he done so far for the National Team?

Howard is one of the best rebounders in the game but the rest of his game doesn't scream greatness.

• Premium Member

Yeah, its not like Howard is thirty years old and has been in the league for 11 years now and is completely developed as a player. If only he was an extremely young player straight out of high school who already has excellent rebounding and defensive instincts and is working on his offensive game. If only! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Quote:

Thank you. Howard is a good young player now, but some of y'all already have him at an elite level. He has to develop more game than dunks and putbacks to be at that level.

and no way i would trade JJ and Marvin for him.

u gotta be kidding me!!! confused.gif

• Admin

because I am intelligent enough to compare two players skill levels or lack of skill, regardless of their position. They both have glaring skill deficiencies that have to be fixed before either deserves to be called a star in this league.

Nobody is throwing him under the bus. He's not a star and he's got a long way to go before he is one. That's just the truth of it.

Howard shoots 26% on his jumpers which sucks;

http://www.82games.com/0506/05ORL14A.HTM

Howard blocks 1.4 shots per game which is what Mihm did in the 04-05 season.

As far as his effort goes I will take the word of a Magic homer who has watched all the games. Maybe if you actually watched him during the season instead of just reading his press clippings you might learn a little more about his game.

How has he done so far for the National Team?

Howard is one of the best rebounders in the game but the rest of his game doesn't scream greatness.

Looks like to me your are reading press clips. I've watched Dwight from day 1, let alone during his SACA years and the years playing AAU (Celtics). Regular season, and I just left the USA Training in Vegas watching "His" game. Coach K inlists Dwight as a rising star and will be one of the best in the league.

In practice he looks great. During the exhibition games and the scrimmage he did his thing. In the scrimmage he had 8 rebounds and 5 points in a total of 11 min of playing time. I could give you what he did in the game but I don't have my games stats in front of me. He is doing what he was brought there to do. Dwight is young and sometimes nervous. Its expected. He is the youngest of the guys thats on the team. Is the youngest thats ever been on a USA Team.

So you can continue to take the word of a fan who sits in the 300 section where he sits so far away that his vision is blurred. Everything is slow motion from the nose bleed section. Especialy the way that arena is built

You want to pin point his jump shot percentage when the game of basketball is not just about a "JUMP" shot. For the position he plays it is not the end of the world that he does not have a jump shot "right now".

The kid avg 15 points a game. Compared to your Chris Mihm comparison of 10 points per game who has an extra 4 years of NBA experiance, and 4 years of college experiance on top of Dwight.

I never said that he did not need to work on a more that 5 feet away shot, cuz he does. Dwight knows he needs to get his shot blocking game together and he's working on it.

Quote:

Yeah, its not like Howard is thirty years old and has been in the league for 11 years now and is completely developed as a player. If only he was an extremely young player straight out of high school who already has excellent rebounding and defensive instincts and is working on his offensive game. If only!
crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Again, thank you for understanding my point! wink.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's all about the "P."

But this time I'm buying the hype, because Howard already has all the harder-to-achieve things going for him: size, strength, athleticism, desire and willingness to improve, great attitude, and defensive toughness.

The whole reason that chillz said Howard was being overrated is that people are acting like he is already a star when in fact he is just a great rebounder/dunker. Other than that he doesn't do anything that well.

Defensively he is no great shakes. The Magic give up 1 more ppg when he is playing and opponents have a PER of 17.6 against him. In contrast the Magic give up 8 fewer ppg when Milicic is playing and he is holding opponents to a PER of 11.2 per game.

The Magic fan that I know can't seem to stop singing the praises of.....Milicic. And since he watches all the games I am more inclined to believe him than you.

Could Howard become a great player? Sure, but he isn't one now.

Quote:

because I am intelligent enough to compare two players skill levels or lack of skill, regardless of their position. They both have glaring skill deficiencies that have to be fixed before either deserves to be called a star in this league.

Nobody is throwing him under the bus. He's not a star and he's got a long way to go before he is one. That's just the truth of it.

This is what you said:

Quote:

I hestitated to say it but I feel he's Smooth with a different body and skill set. Both of them are great athletes for their size. But they both are lacking some key skills that they will need in order to be "great". While Howards size and body lend to him having a greater impact initially. I think his lack of shooting ability may set him behind smooth in the long run.

Josh has a problem with work ethic that he needs to continue to work on which is what he needs to get together 1st and foremost. Just as dwight needs to work on his jump shot, Josh needs to work on his as well, along with developing a perimeter game. He also needs to learn how to get into the lane. He doesn't have any great post moves for him to play the 4 and needs work on his perimeter game.

Dwight is a center. He needs to have his defensive and offensive rebounding game together (which he does). So I'll take 15-20 points a game (of put backs) from a kid that is the best offensive (rebounder period) rebounder in the league any day.

For you to say that it looks like the deferences between the two has you set on D comming in behind Josh in the long run does not make any since because you have no facts to prove that. Thats a bold speculation. confused.gifconfused.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Quote:

Untouchable is a label that some players get.

JJ is not an American Hero like GI JOE... but how untouchable is he?

For instance, if Orlando was to offer us: Hill and Howard for Marvin and JJ would we say No?

Or is it that deep down in our hearts we all want to see:

Howard/Shelden/Smoove/Chillz/Speedy take the court?

IF Toronto were offering Chris Bosh/Alvin Williams for JJ would we have to turn them down?

Joe isn't an American hero?

Tell that to Team USA today.

As one poster said on the ESPN board about 2 - 3 weeks ago, people should be calling Joe . . .

"CAPTAIN AMERICA"

One of those under the radar type superheroes who was never flashy. All he did was kick azz whenever his country needed him.

That's Joe in a nutshell.

By the way, you rarely see stars in their prime, traded for other stars in their prime.

When you look at that, Joe IS untouchable.

Call him Captain America . . or call him Elliott Ness.

He's untouchable.