BK's Job

BornandDieHawks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserves a contract extension right now for what he has been able to do in remaking this roster. No other GM in the NBA would have had the balls to come into the situation he inherited, blow that team up, suffer during the first couple of years of rebuilding while resisting the temptation to go for the quick fix, and put together a team that has as much young talent as the Hawks have.

No other GM in the league would catch as much grief as Billy Knight for doing what Billy Knight has done:

*He took over an overpaid, underachieving team and blew it up completely within his first two years on the job.

*He has yet to sign a player to a contract that hurts this team's salary cap flexibility in the long term.

*He has yet to trade for a player that has a contract that hurts this team's salary cap flexibility in the long term.

*He has yet to make a bad draft pick.

*He has put together a young core of players to build around that is as good as any team in the league has with the additions of Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Joe Johnson.

The only reason there is so much dislike for Billy Knight is that he doesn't pander to the idiot fans.

I normally try to stay out of the talks about what BK has done or hasn't done, because I am not an expert, but this is my womanly metaphoric perception of what he has done:

Please Remember that BK had a bunch of Dead Skin when he became employed in which he had to exfoliate to bring out the new skin.

When one gets a facial, afterwards the skin is fresh, young and healthy looking. To keep it that way you have to make drastic changes to how you care for your skin. New products of moisturizers, cleansers, scrubs, masks, and more drinking water are necessary to continue the new look.

Somehow you have to figure out the best combinations of different products that works best with your skin type. Well, the Hawks team is a skin type, and the products are Joe Johnson for oily skin, Speedy Claxton, for Sensitive skin, and Sheldon Williams for dry skin. Could Josh Smith and Marvin Williams be the night time and day time moisturizers that we need? What players are the daily scrubs that we need to remove the dead skin. What players are going to be our water sources to bring back rejuvenation to the skin? Wright, Lue? Who?

Somehow the skin will figure out what works best for it but you have to give it time to adapt. When you start using a new product the skins seems like it gets worse before it get better. Give it time and you will soon be impressed with the results.

I gave BK the benefit of the doubt on this poll (but it was close).

As I discussed with a buddy a year or so ago, it's a lot easier to demolish something than it is to build it back anew. BK did a good job of demolition but I'm not sure his building choices are going to lead us to be real contenders. But the jury's still out, now it comes down to: Did he do a good enough job of talent evaluation to get the Hawks to the promised land?...I guess that's pretty much dependent on how the young guys develop. If Marvin continues from where he left off in SL and JS continues to improve I'll have to give BK props...grudgingly :-)

Quote:

As I discussed with a buddy a year or so ago, it's a lot easier to demolish something than it is to build it back anew.

But you have to think of the players that he got rid of. How easy was it (discounting Terry) to get rid of the guys we had? It might have taken BK a lot of great negotiating skills to get rid of those guys. Face it, we weren't spectacular then either. We won more games but there wasn't a heart beating in our core. There was no passion. It was a lot of dead weight, and we needed a change. I am one that is always happy for a change....

Quote:

The only reason there is so much dislike for Billy Knight is that he doesn't pander to the idiot fans.

Its statements like these that make you out to be an idiot. Your assumption that every fan is ignorant just because they dislike what BK has accomplished; or better words, from their perspective, would be "not accomplished" is ridiculous.

You want us to assume you are a man of science; yet you interject this board constantly with blantant assumptions about posters IQ's. While the only proof you have to offer is they disagree with BK and you.

You are no more a man of science, than I am a doctor; and its time you were called out on being a very small minded and ignorant person. Who else, other than a ignorant small minded person, could claim they know without a doubt that everyone who disagrees with their point of view is an idiot. You are nothing more a hypocritical joke that just keeps getting funnier...

What is your next excuse when you get caught in a blatant lye? I was really tired from reading up on Hippocrates and Socrates; so I could prove to all how smart I really am. smirk.gif

Its apparent to me that you are the only one here that takes yourself seriously and maybe one day you will be enlightened as well. But until then, just keep the funnies coming. You really are a hoot...

Quote:

If the team makes the playoffs this year then BK does deserve a new contract.

I agree. But that is a pretty big if. I voted for BK; but his time to show some results in the win/loss columns is right around the corner...

Quote:

I think that regardless of on court performance this season, if the ownership issues are not resolved by the end of the season then BK should be retained regardless since it will be impossible to recruit a credible replacement under those circumstances.

i couldn't agree more with this. if belkin wins, bk will be gone immediately. if the spirit wins, i could see giving him an extra year or so after the settlement to see what he could honestly do, no holds barred. if "the great 6'9 experiment" continues to flounder, then we will need to bring in some serious preperation h or tucks pads to relieve the burning, itching sensation in the hawks you-know-what. not exactly womanly, but it's my own version of a metaphoic skin treatment for the hawks.

Quote:

Quote:

Its statements like these that make you out to be an idiot. Your assumption that every fan is ignorant just because they dislike what BK has accomplished; or better words, from their perspective, would be "not accomplished" is ridiculous.

You want us to assume you are a man of science; yet you interject this board constantly with blantant assumptions about posters IQ's. While the only proof you have to offer is they disagree with BK and you.

You are no more a man of science, than I am a doctor; and its time you were called out on being a very small minded and ignorant person. Who else, other than a ignorant small minded person, could claim they know without a doubt that everyone who disagrees with their point of view is an idiot. You are nothing more a hypocritical joke that just keeps getting funnier...

What is your next excuse when you get caught in a blatant lye? I was really tired from reading up on Hippocrates and Socrates; so I could prove to all how smart I really am. smirk.gif

Its apparent to me that you are the only one here that takes yourself seriously and maybe one day you will be enlightened as well. But until then, just keep the funnies coming. You really are a hoot...

we've got jackets wink.gif

now you'll be on his "ignore" list so he can justifiably not respond when you expose him either as

a. a fraud or

b. a BK apologist

I have mixed feelings about BK. I like his plan of demolishing the roster and starting over, which few GM's would attempt.

However some of his moves have frustrated me, and the inability to make a major upgrade at center will (imo) haunt the Hawks big time.

But when I think about firing him and replacing him with someone else I look around the league and cringe at some of the other GM's.

So in the end I didn't even vote lol.

If the team goes to the playoffs, then absolutely, BK deserves to get an extension. However, that's a pretty big condtional, because as much as I want to, I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs this year.

Maybe this is the team Billy envisioned, and his vision works. However, KB's claim is ridiculous. "He is yet to sign a player to a crippling contract." That's only because 75% of everyone he tries to sign has no interest in playing for the Hawks. He offered the max or near-max to both K-Mart and Damp, and if they had accepted we would ALL be going nuts right now. It's merely good fortune that they didn't. As for his record of good draft picks, he's better than Babcock. This is a huge step of course, but by no means does it mean he's picked perfectly. Boris was a good pick...If Billy knew what to do with him. Obviously he didn't, because his coaching staff attempted to pigeonhole Boris into a shooting PG, which does not suit his game. I like the Chill pick, but with the amount of debate over which of the three players (Deng/Chillz/Iggy) he should have picked, it's 1) Not obvious he made the choice, and 2) Fairly evident that he couldn't have made a bad choice. Smoove fell to him at 17, and it was really a no-brainer to pick him. And we all know the circumstances surrounding the MW pick.

Meanwhile, in our implosion, we gave away a more than servicable center in Nazr Mohammed, and were unable (twice) to find our point guard in the draft, the second time because a team who had no use for their pick did NOT want to deal with Billy Knight. While that is more Belkin's case than Knights, it needs to be said.

And I STILL don't like the SW pick.

Bottom line, if this team goes to the playoffs, then BK did a hell of a job in the face of his skeptics. If it doesn't, however, it can be completely attributed to BK's vision, because there is plenty of individual talent on this team, but it's missing the same key pieces throughout his entire tenure.

Quote:

now you'll be on his "ignore" list so he can justifiably not respond when you expose him either as

a. a fraud or

b. a BK apologist

Hahaha, yup yup.

I think KB has already become senile. He only responds when there is a chance to praise BK and he doesn't try to defend him because...well you can't.

I bet he is a smart guy, but damn does he have any balls to say something against BK? Or is that blasphemy?

I just wanted to throw my two cents in this. He is going into his FOURTH YEAR of rebuilding, it is getting real faucking old. I think we are in a good position, but we could have been in a similar situation last year or even two years ago.

Fire his asss, he handles situations badly. Maybe hire him as your director of scouting, but that is IT. Sorry for being so vague in this post, but it would take like two hours for me to post everything I hate about him.

• Premium Member

Reports at the time were mixed on how much Dampier was actually offered by the Hawks. There were some who claimed that Knight low-balled him (relative to what the Mavs offered).

The Martin deal was overpaying, but he was still young and most people on here thought he would solidify the PF spot.