• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Scrimmage.

RAHMOR

I don't know how many of you went to the scrimmage today but I was in attendance and I learned a few things. First let me say it feels so good to see basketball again. I didn't know I was that thristy for a live game even if it was just a scrimmage. I really have to get closer seats at Phillips from now on.

Marvin Williams is alot better and alot more complete than I thought. To put in blanky, he is a beast. His ball handling was amazing. On one play he crossed up Joe Johnson and blew by him. He may be be the second best player on this team. I don't think Josh was trying very hard so I'll leave this statement at may be. Seeing Marvin show his skills that up close and personal gave me goose bumps just thinking about how good he's going to be.

Neither Josh or Marvin are PF. Neither can play or should play the PF and probably shouldn't start together despite what I want. Unfortuantely it also looked like Shelden shouldn't be starting at PF so what do we do.

Woody says the aim for this team is the playoffs. It was just good to hear the organization say it more than it was any type of revelation.

I learned that Andreas(sp)that foreign big man isn't exactly a stiff. Close but not a stiff. He's not a banger either but he was able to score.

Looks like Josh Childress will not get off to his traditional slow start.

Salim still palms the ball that funny way when he dribbles and will get alot of traveling calls and thus turnovers.

Royal looks better.

Josh Smith still can't dribble. Called for the ball near the three point line and then got picked clean by Marvin for a breakaway.

Chilz is called Chilz by everybody and Smoove is called Smoove by everybody.

That's about it. Game was good to watch and thank god for the Hawks dancers.

I was there and said hi to Hawkeye out in the lobby with the hawksquawk sign. Did anyone else show up to go out for drinks?

Marvin finished after cantact in the lane 2 or 3 times and blocked smoove's shot a time or two.

Smoove hit 3 or 4 threes

Salim is stil not a point

Friege(sp) might make the team

Tyron Lue thinks he is the leader of this team...I am not sure the other players agree

Domonique acts like a regular guy...singing autogrphs, wearing jeans...seems like a great guy

The 7'1 guys has potential

Thanks for the recap. Your observations that both Smoove and Marvin are small forwards confirms what I saw last year. No harm in experimenting this year though since it is unlikely the team can lose more games then in the past.

Hopefully the coaching staff finds a way to make it work or, alternatively, at least showcase them so BK can pull off a trade to balance out the roster.

Hey it was great meeting you at the scrimmage. I agree Andreas Glyniadakis (I call him "Andres the Giant") maybe a keeper along with Freije who still has great range on his shot. None of the the other guards distinguished themselves i.e. Chalmers or Boseman.

Thanks for the info guys. It sure is nice to hear so many glowing comments about Marvin. It's not just he looks a little better or he looks like he has improved. Everyone seems to think this guy is leaps and bounds beyond the passive Marvin of last year. He could have people forgetting about CP3 if he has a breakout year.

Shelden got a few touches and hit a shot or two. Made free throws also. I didn't really notice him. I figured he would stand out because he was supposed to be a physical presence but he did not. On one play Marvin drove to the basket and Shelden was waiting for him. Shelden went down but Marvin bounced off him and finished with an And 1. I guess that's a little credit to both players but it doesn't look like too many people are going to be running through Shelden.

I'm not worried or ready to call him a bust yet though. He's a rookie. After the last three years following the Hawks and all of their rookies so closely I expect Shelden to be just like the rest of our young players.

Quote:

Curious if you could make a comparison with the big Greek guy to anyone?

He (Glyniadakas) demands space in the paint number 1. He had nice offensive moves, changed hands, changed hand direction as challenged. He was the better center on the court. Although he seemed to shrink defensively.

Quote:

Sorry, no one comes to mind to make a comparison. He impressed me the most out of all the big men on the court though.

I was impressed by him also as well as Andre Brown. Andre Brown was aggressive and had a vet pressence. He played as well as any other Post player on the court to me.

from AJC I wish I could have gone if only I lived in Georgia..

Scrimmage highlights

Smith led all scorers in the scrimmage with 13 points. Johnson added 11. The only other player to reach double figures, however, was free agent center Andreas Glyniadakas, who finished with 10.

Pachulia, who is still recovering from a blow to the head earlier this week, Speedy Claxton (finger) and Solomon Jones (ankle) were all held out of the scrimmage portion of Saturday's practice.

Quote:

1) How aggressive did we look on D? How far out on the court were we applying pressure?

Whenever the ball was brought down and Salim or Lue or whoever tried to use a screen up at the three point line, we did a good job of stepping out to prevent a waltz down the lane. Something we were terrible at last year and I noticed the difference immediately. The rotations were so so but there was a good amount of blocks courtesy of Smoove and Marvin and some others. Also I don't recall anybody taking in down the lane for an easy lay-up, but Speedy didn't play so I can't give a complete grade on that part of the defense.

Quote:

2)Did Marvin spend any time in the paint on offense? Sounds like Smith stayed on the perimeter on offense, what about Marv?

I don't recall Marvin posting up any. He was really agressive and I can recall at least 3 plays where he drove to the basket. Finished two with And 1's and another by knocking down the free throws. One play he tried to get past Josh. Josh kept up with him and he pulled up in the lane. Josh went up for the block but Marvin pushed Josh with his off hand while in the air and made the shot. It was an offensive foul if you ask me but Marvin got the call and made the free throw. Josh looked pretty pissed and let the refs know. I felt bad for him.

While Marvin wasn't posting up he also didn't just settle for jump shots. He even brought the ball down one time and I remember thinking how comfortable he looked.