• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Losing Al a positive or negitive?

Plainview1981

It looks to me like the defense truly is better without Al Harrington... We've seen offensive struggles, but it isn't totally fair to give Al all the credit since his replacement has yet to play.

I think the loss has been a positive despite the offensive struggles. The team is moving the ball (even without a real gameplan)and I think Marvin will come in it will indeed show that the team is better without Al.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I say that this season, it will be really hard to tell offensively.

Al never got the opportunity to play with a PG like Speedy.. So as Speedy feels more and more comfortable who's to say.. If it were positive or negative offensively. Moreover, Zaza has matured a lot... I don't think that is a direct consequence of Al leaving, but just as the announcer said, it takes Big men probably 3-4 years to develop.

I think what can be guaged is that we are a better defensive team without Al. No doubt. It seems like we know what we're doing. Don't be fooled though.. Smoove still has his moments like the other night against Q... I think Smoove is susceptible to being beaten by his man.

But, you have to be happy with the Landlord, Chillz and Zaza defensively...

Quote:

Al never got the opportunity to play with a PG like Speedy.. So as Speedy feels more and more comfortable who's to say.. If it were positive or negative offensively. Moreover, Zaza has matured a lot... I don't think that is a direct consequence of Al leaving, but just as the announcer said, it takes Big men probably 3-4 years to develop.

I think what can be guaged is that we are a better defensive team without Al. No doubt. It seems like we know what we're doing. Don't be fooled though.. Smoove still has his moments like the other night against Q... I think Smoove is susceptible to being beaten by his man.

The problem is that Speedy isn't a very good player. He didn't have an assist in the first game and he's a horrible shooter that has been turning the ball over.

Some will say he needs to get into shape, but he will be left open and has been unable to make open shots his whole career.

Quote:

he is a good player

he's just not a good shooter

he can score by driving

he can rack up assists

he can rack up steals

he changed the game with his steals today and got some assists...he just can't shoot

He got some steals... but every team isn't going to make so many bad turnovers like Orlando did today. I shouldn't say he isn't any good, but he just isn't a starter.

• Premium Member

It's still a great difference playing with a PG who moves with the ball, penetrates, draws defenders and can pass..

versus one who either:

1. Pounds the ball until there's no color on it.

2. Shots it 3 seconds after he gets it.

3. Bounces the ball off his foot!

Hot . . . jumpshooting isn't Speedy's game. The entire league knows that. We're a jumpshooting team, so Speedy will have to get his points going to the hole or getting to the line . . like he always has.

Speedy, when healthy, will still take the ball to the hole even when open, to either draw a foul or create an opportunity for a better shooter.

Quote:

Hot . . . jumpshooting isn't Speedy's game. The entire league knows that. We're a jumpshooting team, so Speedy will have to get his points going to the hole or getting to the line . . like he always has.

Speedy, when healthy, will still take the ball to the hole even when open, to either draw a foul or create an opportunity for a better shooter.

The problem is that jumpshooting seems to improved around the league this year. Atleast from the games I've watched.

The Hawks don't have the offensive options to afford Speedy being a starter. Jumpshooting better become a part of his game or he;ll hurt the team. This guy has played on alot of teams in a short time for a reason.

Quote:

It's still a great difference playing with a PG who moves with the ball, penetrates, draws defenders and can pass..

versus one who either:

1. Pounds the ball until there's no color on it.

2. Shots it 3 seconds after he gets it.

3. Bounces the ball off his foot!

Just because he's better than alot of scrubs doesn't mean he's good as a starter. Yes, he's got into the lane.. But once he get there he seems to make stupid passes.

jumpshooters:

jj

slim

marvin

smoove

chill

we have the jump shooters

drivers:

chill

marvin

jj

speedy

having speedy being a driver is good for us

we have the offensive options and weapons; they will only get better (smoove/chill/marvin/zaza/shelden) over time

speedy fits in GREAT as our pg...he just isn't 100% yet and so isn't showing everything u wanna see

Quote:

I agree. But I don't think we're better just because Al is gone. We're better because a guy like Speedy can harrass the top level PGs in this league and not get lost in defensive rotations, unlike Tyronn Lue and Salim.

Overall, we're a better defensive team. For all of the people that want to criticize Speedy, when was the last time a Hawk got 6 steals in a game?

This team last year almost had to score over 100 points to win games. If we can cut that number down to 95, look for us to be much improved.

Quote:

jumpshooters:

jj

slim

marvin

smoove

chill

we have the jump shooters

drivers:

chill

marvin

jj

speedy

having speedy being a driver is good for us

we have the offensive options and weapons; they will only get better (smoove/chill/marvin/zaza/shelden) over time

speedy fits in GREAT as our pg...he just isn't 100% yet and so isn't showing everything u wanna see

Chillz and Smoove are not good jumpshooters. Why do people continue to act like is? He has shot 30% in 3's for his career and has been awful shooting the ball in these first 3 games.

Salim likely will not see much court time.

Quote:

look at chill's jumpshot % last year...he's a great jumpshooter

very efficient

Percentages are overrated. He's just very selective. You need guys you can count on night in and night out. The team right now is playing with 1 go-to scorer.. Even when Marvin comesback that is only 2 guys... Who is going to be the 3rd guy?

You can ignore Speedy and Smooves offensive problems now, but the problem will show up before long.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Hawks don't have the offensive options to afford Speedy being a starter. Jumpshooting better become a part of his game or he;ll hurt the team. This guy has played on alot of teams in a short time for a reason.

I don't understand you. This is the guy's 4 game this year with a new team after breaking a hand and you are already criticizing and judging him. Don't you think its a little early. Plus the hawks have held every one of their opponents under 95 points per game. Claxton has something to do with that.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand you. This is the guy's 4 game this year with a new team after breaking a hand and you are already criticizing and judging him. Don't you think its a little early. Plus the hawks have held every one of their opponents under 95 points per game. Claxton has something to do with that.

'Claxton has something to do with that."

It's only 3 games. Speedy has been in the league 6 years now and has been a 40% shooter his entire career. His play so far has been about the same as his entire career.

Quote:

Hot just can't stop complaining about something.

LOL . . . pure comedy.

Instead of trading baskets with people, we're showing the ability to stop people. Guys like Speedy and Shelden are a big part of that, even if they're not scoring.

Comedy is that everyone loves the ups and downs and just wants to look at the small picture.