fans overreacting ...... as usual

TheNorthCydeRises

facts from last night's game: 1) jj was sick, and he played like it. when your star player takes only 8 shots, you're gonna lose bad on most nights. 2) this team played great defense last night, but they could'nt secure def. rebs. that has been a huge problem since smoove has been out. 3) this team is trying hard to take the ball to the basket, but they can't finish. as much as all of us want this team to take the ball to the hole, they just aren't good at it.

• Premium Member

It's Hawksquawk. You have to learn to accept it, or find another website.

There are definitely long-term problems with this team that need to be dealt with, though. For one, exodus is right that a defensive center is a huge priority. A second scorer is a must as well.

• Premium Member

I think Sekou is, as usual, spot on in his assessment:

Desperate for help in the paint

Quote:

There has to be an inside-out dynamic to a team. There has to be an inside threat. And on the nights when Zaza Pachulia is effective, the results are obvious (he and Joe Johnson were a perfect 1-2 punch in that win over the Clippers).

On the nights when he doesn’t have it going, the Hawks are in for a serious pounding. Jeff Foster (yet another trade piece from our summer conversations, and for all you Einstein’s who blasted me for saying he was what the Hawks needed, dude had 17 rebounds!) was a man amongst boys inside. The Pacers’ All-Star big man, Jermaine O’Neal, had pedestrian numbers (10 points, eight rebounds) and they still rocked the Hawks inside.

I don’t think I’m overstating the obvious here, either. And I certainly don’t understand how anyone could argue that this Hawks team, even at optimum health, could fare much better against the quality teams in the league. Sure, they have some talented young pieces. But not enough of the quality veteran types (Clippers journeyman Aaron Williams looked like another member of the just-what-the-doctor-ordered-for-the-Hawks crew Saturday night) that will help prevent you from being smacked around the way the Hawks were by the Pacers.

Quote:

2) this team played great defense last night, but they could'nt secure def. rebs. that has been a huge problem since smoove has been out.

What game were you watching?

The only way you could overreact to this is by kidnapping BK and forcing him to fire Woody. Hey, that's not a bad idea! (just kidding F.B.I.)

Agreed Troy...and remember it was a close game early primarily because THEY were stinking too (AL was 1-8 fgs 1st half). Woody mentioned in the AJC article that we were close at the half...38-33 if I remember right. Once they woke up (probably a lot of yelling in their locker room at halftime), they cruised away from us.

I mean "over-reacting?" We started the 4th quarter with 49 points on the board and for awhile it looked like that's what we were gonna finish with. We were at least 0 for 10 (and maybe worse) to start the fourth quarter.

Foster got 17 rebounds and I would bet he was responsible for at least another 8 to 10 tipouts to other Pacers on the offensive boards.

Overreacting? The problems this team has goes well beyond last night's game. Yes, injuries are a factor - but we have "talent" that's completely overmatched (effort and ability), a clueless coach, a GM who doesn't seem to know how to assemble a team, and an ownership situation that's beyond embarrasing.

Considering our team is now the WORST franchise in professional sports (it's more than our record), I think our musings are quite mild. We should be storming Phillips, torches in hand!

Quote:

Overreacting? The problems this team has goes well beyond last night's game. Yes, injuries are a factor - but we have "talent" that's completely overmatched (effort and ability), a clueless coach, a GM who doesn't seem to know how to assemble a team, and an ownership situation that's beyond embarrasing.

Considering our team is now the WORST franchise in professional sports (it's more than our record), I think our musings are quite mild. We should be storming Phillips, torches in hand!

the Hawks have no second scroring option. Marvin is looking awful. Smoove isn't a go to guy on the offensive end, more of a role player. Shelden, role player. Pachulia, role player. Speedy, not a scroring PG. Chillz, energy role player. unfortunately none of these guys will be legit second scoring options on a playoff caliber team for a year or two.

a second scoring option on a playoff caliber team is going to cost you some serious bucks in FA. dollars are thrown at NBA players like hamburgers at a McDonald's. we don't have enough cap space to net us that caliber of player in an outright signing.

to make it worse here comes the death blow. the Hawks will owe their pick to the Suns this year. let's not kid ourselves, the Hawks aren't going to get a top 3 pick. They aren't going to finish anywhere above the 8 spot either. in short we have to suffer through losing this season without the comfort of the high draft choice that typically nets you.

There's not alot to look forward to in Hawksville right now.

Quote:

.I don’t think I’m overstating the obvious here, either. And I certainly don’t understand how anyone could argue that this Hawks team, even at optimum health, could fare much better against the quality teams in the league.

While I don't think the "quality veteran types" are the most important answer, as we simply lack talent and a dominate interior presence, but they are a small part of it. Get talent particularly at the center position (or positions of need) 1st, however, worry about the rest later. The ONLY way we do that is through the draft. The ONLY way we do that significantly is by retaining our top 3 pick.

W

Quote:

We should be storming Phillips, torches in hand!

You know. Pitch forks, spades, shovels, the like. A torch or two would be nice. Remember. BK is a mad scientist GM. Rather than chase down his frankenstein team, however, we need to go after Dr. Jekyl himself.

W

The Hawks are now 6-21 since their miracle start...6-21.

We haven't sniffed respectability in years and the fans are overreacting? That's funny. You would have been the guy on the Titanic who was trying to tell people to remain calm, as the icy waters inched up over your nose.

The sad thing is that if the fluke start hadn't happened...Woodson and maybe Knight would have been shown the door. But we are still stuck.

that's true because we were SO competitive earlier in the year (coincidence that Marvin was out?), and now we are lucky to come within 20 points. I really think we are better than this, but we have just lost all confidence as individuals and as a team. That's usually a reflection on the coach, but BK and his superman ego wouldn't fire Woodson if he had fat bastard sitting on his face.

Quote:

facts from last night's game: 1) jj was sick, and he played like it. when your star player takes only 8 shots, you're gonna lose bad on most nights. 2) this team played great defense last night, but they could'nt secure def. rebs. that has been a huge problem since smoove has been out. 3) this team is trying hard to take the ball to the basket, but they can't finish. as much as all of us want this team to take the ball to the hole, they just aren't good at it.

Anybody that calls JJ a star is overracting. I bet he wishes he could get all those open shots in Phx again.