Most hated guy in Sports?

Diesel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Unlike some, he's never failed a drug test. It's rumor.

Yet this guy stays the most hated player. Even before Steroids was a thought... he was hated.

Pete Rose was caught betting on games. Recently admitted to betting on his team and lying all these years and Rose is not hated as much as Barry... In fact, many people love Rose.

I've got a new list coming out.

I hope he does it in Atlanta.

That way i can go to the game, and try to

get that record breaking homerun ball.

$$$$$ banana.gif $$$$$

Anyway, thhe guy i dislike the most(other than bk &Woody)

Is T.O.

But i really don't know if it's him i hate, or just the media always talking about him ,or interviewing him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Unlike some, he's never failed a drug test. It's rumor.

He admitted to using steroids under oath and his trainer has admitted he used hgh and other performance enhancers in a taped phone call. The physical transformation is overwhelmingly compelling circumstantial evidence as well.

Quote:

Yet this guy stays the most hated player. Even before Steroids was a thought... he was hated.

He was hated before steroids because he is a jerk. However, being a jerk doesn't amount to much compared to the performance enhancer issue.

Quote:

Pete Rose was caught betting on games. Recently admitted to betting on his team and lying all these years and Rose is not hated as much as Barry... In fact, many people love Rose.

That is because Rose was a nice guy and considered an example of the right way to play (gutting every hit out, the whole Charlie Hustle bit) before his gambling blew his legacy. It is understandable that he would have gotten a serious fan base before the scandal hit and that a core of those people would remain loyal.

The biggest reason Bonds is SO hated, IMO, is that he is going to do long-term damage to the spoil by tarnishing its most sacred record. If he was a 100 homers shy of where he is, he would not be such a focus point. However, baseball is a game of magic numbers in a way that no other sport is and for the most sacred of thos numbers to go from Hank Aaron to a cheater prick is tough for people to swallow.

• Admin

Barry may have never failed a drug test (we don't know for sure though, as it's up to MLB to release that info), but he has certainly admitted to taking "something".

Also, I don't think Barry was hated before the steroid scandal, he was just disliked and that was his own fault. He was and still is, well.. a d*ck. His personality has just always rubbed people the wrong and he has never been interested in putting any effort into changing that perception.

I think Rose doesn't catch as much flack simply because of what he did. He gambled and broke the rules, but in the eyes of most people, that's not cheating. either way, he's about as big of a self righteous prick as Barry is.

• Premium Member

Bonds couldn't carry Ty Cobbs jock. Best ever? Please. He's a steroid freak who was going to go into the HoF as a great all around player before he started juicing. He never had a 40 home run season before the juice, suddenly he's playing at a video game level.

And btw Diesel Bonds admitted to a grand jury he took steroids. He claimed he thought they were something else...riiiiiight Barry...and he still took them. Everyone knows he took steroids.

Quote:

Bonds couldn't carry Ty Cobbs jock. Best ever? Please. He's a steroid freak who was going to go into the HoF as a great all around player before he started juicing. He never had a 40 home run season before the juice, suddenly he's playing at a video game level.

And btw Diesel Bonds admitted to a grand jury he took steroids. He claimed he thought they were something else...riiiiiight Barry...and he still took them. Everyone knows he took steroids.

He took 'roids starting in 1999, but he already had 3 seasons of 40+ HR's before that....Hmmm...

Is Ty Cobb a member of the 500/500 club?? Oh yea, nevermind Barry is the only member of that one...How about 400/400?? Oh yea, sorry, Barry again...

I think you meant to say "Ty Cobb couldn't hold Bonds' jock".

smirk.gif

• Premium Member

Who has more hits? Who was the first person elected into the HoF hotshot? That would be Cobb. Cobb didn't play in an era where they really had homeruns. Put Cobb in today's game and let him hit Bonds steroid closet and he would put ungodly numbers. He'd hit around .500 with about 80-90 homeruns, 175-200 RBI and steal about 120 bases a year. And oh yeah, still win the gold glove. thumb3d.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

7 MVP's (next highest is 3 in MLB's history)

8 Gold Gloves (often gets forgotten)

40/40 club

500/500 club (only person to ever be in 400/400 also)

Unbelievably clutch...Particularly against the Braves

Whether you like him or not, he's the best ever.

First, he isn't at Babe Ruth's level as a player (HOF calibre pitcher switches to become the greatest hitter, especially when compared to his contemporaries). Second, what Sothron said is right about him going from a HOF player to an elite HOF by roiding up.

When Ben Johnson took performance enhancers he went from a good to a legendary runner. When Bonds took them he went from a HOFer to a legend.

Give me Hammerin Hank and his vastly superior total base, RBI and non-steroid home runs.

• Moderators

Quote:

Here's a good way to figure out who was a more feared hitter.

Who is the leader in all time walks? Who is the all time leader in intentional walks?

I'll wait for your answer.

I'll do better than that.

Here is a more meaningful stat:

Babe Ruth lifetime OPS: 1.164

Barry Bonds lifetime OPS: 1.052

I think that pretty clearly demonstrates who was the more impressive hitter even including walks received. Moreover, who the hell is going to walk Ruth when he is hitting with the Murderer's Row lineup? Put Ruth into Bonds' shoes with Bonds' crappy teammates and his intentional walk rate would also be through the roof. Conversly, put Bonds on those Yankees teams without steroids and he would not be notworthy for intentional walks.

Quote:

Quote:

Here's a good way to figure out who was a more feared hitter.

Who is the leader in all time walks? Who is the all time leader in intentional walks?

I'll wait for your answer.

I'll do better than that.

Here is a more meaningful stat:

Babe Ruth lifetime OPS: 1.164

Barry Bonds lifetime OPS: 1.052

I think that pretty clearly demonstrates who was the more impressive hitter even including walks received. Moreover, who the hell is going to walk Ruth when he is hitting with the Murderer's Row lineup? Put Ruth into Bonds' shoes with Bonds' crappy teammates and his intentional walk rate would also be through the roof. Conversly, put Bonds on those Yankees teams without steroids and he would not be notworthy for intentional walks.

Hilarious that you mention that , because Bonds would probably have AT LEAST 100 more home runs (probably more) if he was on that Yankees team with that line-up.

Pitchers could NOT afford to pitch around him on that team with those players batting before and after him.

Probably the most amazing thing about Bonds is that he has put up these numbers with almost no protection around him his entire career...A few years of Jeff Kent is the best he ever got.