• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Conley, Crittenton, and Law are there at 11...

DavidSomerset

I chose Conley just for now due to potential but I have alwayse hated that word.

But...

If Law can hold his own defesively in one on one workouts vs. Conley I'd take Law.

Law is the superior shooter, his only knock is average athelticism raising perimeter defense questions.

Conley is the superior athelte but his knock is that he can't shoot.

These guys are so close I would have to see them up close together working out against each other. My hunch tells me Law's competitivness and clutch play would over ride his Conley's athleticsm and force Conley to hit some openjump shots.

Too close to tell right now. I picked Conley TODAY b/c of potential but I may change tomorrow.

• Moderators

Quote:

Who is the better ditributor?? Who involves their teamates better??

Conley or Law??

I think this is Conley but it is somewhat of a tough comparison to make considering Conley had talented teammates and Law was on his own more with Texas A&M.

Quote:

Who is the better ditributor?? Who involves their teamates better??

Conley or Law??

I voted Conley too but got to play devil's advocate. Can't over simply things without seeing the whole picture. If you just look at part of the road map and don't explore alternate routes you may wind up some where you don't want to be.

Who had team mates worth passing too ? Conley

Who had talent around them and who didn't have talent around them ? Law had no where near the talent on his team that Conley had.

Who can shoot ? Law

Who can't shoot ? Conley

Who showed he could carry his team without having 2 other 1st rounders picks and a McDonalds All American on the team with him ? Law

Ohio State's squad would have made alot of PG look really good. I would like to have seen Crittendon play with that team.

If Conley was on Texas A&M they would not have won 15 games. We know Conley can't score or carry a team like Law does. However, after watching Law he does run the offense and make great passes to team mates who can't shoot and can't finish in the paint. His passing and floor general ability are fine in my eyes. The only question I have about Law would be:

Who can gard NBA PG and Who can't? We know Conley can stay up with them but can Law ?

I am playing devils advocate. I voted Conley but see the pros for Law too. We should not leave any stone uncovered in the PG search. All these variables come into play, that is why NBA scouting reports are 100x thicker than the junk we read on line.

Quote:

Who can't shoot ? Conley

I personally think this is being overstated around here. The comments about his shooting seem to imply that he's a "Rondo" type shooter. He's a decent shooter, just not an elite shooter. He has range, but he didn't shoot with a high percentage this season. He has a good mid range jumper. He made big 3s in big games. He's not unable to do it, he just needs to improve his consistency.

Reminds me of Felton. Felton came into college with the reputation as a great shooter. He didn't shoot well early on and they started working on his mechanics. His 3p% dramatically increased through his 3 seasons and he left as a pretty dangerous shooter on the college level.

I think the ability is there, but he needs to put in the work.

I only have limited information on both of these guys, but it seems like Conley projects as more of a distributor whereas Law fits more in the Jason Terry type of point guard role. Assuming that is the case, then I would take Conley over law any day of the week.

Quote:

I only have limited information on both of these guys, but it seems like Conley projects as more of a distributor whereas Law fits more in the Jason Terry type of point guard role. Assuming that is the case, then I would take Conley over law any day of the week.

Law has way more pg skills than Terry, which i admit is faint praise. I would be happy with either Law or Conley.

• Premium Member

What exactly does Conley do to get such high praise???

Give the ball to Oden and move out of the way.

Babysit a highly talented team while Oden sits on the bench for half of a half?

Go back.

Take a look at the TxA&M program before Law got there and then look at where they ended up with very little in the way of good recruits...

2003-04 = 6 wins.

2005-2006 = NIT

2006-07 = 25 wins NCAA

• Premium Member

I have said and will say again... You have to separate Conley from the talent around him and ask these questions:

Does he make players better?

Can he play in any system and conform his game to it?

Can he himself rise up and take over?

Can his defense control a game?

That's what will make the difference between Conley being Deron Williams or Conley being Devin Harris or Conley being Troy Bell.

Right now, he's more Troy Bell than he is Devin Harris.

Without a doubt Javaris. His skills are better than both at 6'5". He and Law have exibited clutch shooting. Neither can take control of a game like Javaris. With more games under his belt, those decision making issues improve. He has a high IQ. I'd definitely take Javaris Crittenton.

guitarist.gif

Quote:

You have to separate Conley from the talent around him and ask these questions

Well then you're dealing in hypotheticals. You could use the same argument as a reason to discount Oden's performance. If he didn;t play with such a great PG, would he be anything more than Brandan Haywood?

Quote:

Does he make players better?

Can he play in any system and conform his game to it?

Can he himself rise up and take over?

Can his defense control a game?

I don't know if he makes players better, I think he does, but I haven't seen any of his teammates play on any other teams. He certainly creates scoring opportunities and has no problem finding his teammates. I don;t see any proof that he doesn't.

Can he conform to a system? He essentially ran two different teams this season. A fast paced wide open team with Oden on the bench, a half court big man focused team with Oden on the floor. I don't see any proof that he can't.

Can he himself rise up and take over? Late in games throughout the season he steps up and takes the ball to the hole. He doesn't go off like Kobe and drop 15 on you in 5 minutes from all over the floor, but he seems to understand when his team needs him to make a play. Law certainly seems to have the advantage on this one at this point. My question is, do you need him to rise up and take over when JJ is your already established go-to player? Seems to me having the a PG like Conley and an off guard like JJ is ideal for end of agme situations. Run a play to find JJ, if it isn't there, break down the D an improvise.

Can his defense control a game? If it's truly enough to shut down opposing guards, it can go a long way in doing this. On a college level, yes. In the NBA, I don't know. It is a concern, but he is getting more credit for his D in the profiles I've seen than Paul did, and Paul's managing alright.

Here's the question though, does Acie Law answer those questions better than Conley? I don't think he does, apart from the taking over a game issue. I've never heard him described as a lock down defender. I don't know if he makes players around him better. I don't see how these questions conclude that Acie Law is the right choice. I only see how these questions make an argument for not drafting a PG.

Quote:

Take a look at the TxA&M program before Law got there and then look at where they ended up with very little in the way of good recruits...

2003-04 = 6 wins.

2005-2006 = NIT

2006-07 = 25 wins NCAA

To clarify...

2003-04- 7-21,(0-16 in the conference!)

- Melvin Watkins, HC, Acie Law was a freshman

2004-05- 21-10, NIT Quarterfinals

- Billy Gillespie, HC, AL was a sophomore

2005-06- 22-9, NCAA 2nd Round -

- Billy Gillespie, HC, AL was a junior

2006-07- 27-7, NCAA Sweet 16

- Billy Gillespie, HC, AL a senior

Billy Gillespie gets HC job at Kentucky. I don;t think it's fair to give Acie all the credit for turing this program around. He deserves a lot of credit, and I'd love to have him, but let's not make it look like he was dragging the load all by himself.

• Premium Member

It's not hypothetical per se... It's how you are supposed to evaluate a player. You have to think of the player outside of his system and determine if they could do the same in your system...

About Oden..

Yes, you have to ask the question will he be as effective on a bad team? The going answer to that question for Oden is yes because of his size and strength...

But then you have to go back to Bogut. People thought he was the next Bill Walton...

Some "experts" never took the time to determine what would he do against real competition and could he change his style to fit the Bucks style of play.