• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Still plenty of room on the Belkin Bandwagon!

TroyMcClure

Seriously, I'm not going to be an "I told you so" guy on this one. Not going to rub anybody's face in it. Late is better than never.

I know these guys are as inept as you could possibly be, but this is just almost unbelievable. The things Gearon said today and the stuff I just read from his blog are some of the most naive things I have ever heard. Does anyone know if this guy even played high school ball? I know he was a ball boy and all...

I'm so disgusted that I am going to leave this short for now. Just a few things.

1. The comparison between Toronto and us. Ridiculous. I was telling people weeks ago that they would say Woody could be like Sam next year. First, they turned over what, like 9 players!?!Second, Sam Mitchell was probably a helluva better player than Woody. Sam played on winning teams and acted as a mentor for K.G., etc. I repeat, Mike Woodson played on some of the worst teams of all time. It is no coincidence that he has played and coached for 2 of the 6 worst teams in history.

2. Arriving at lunch with a "satchel full of data". Watch a damn game. I suggest he do it with Hubie Brown for a year or two until he learns the basics of the game.

3. There's not a "good" GM that doesn't think BK is on target? So, I guess a few "bad" ones do? This is absolute bullsh!t Has Gearon Jr polled every GM in the league from an independent source?( why would they tell him the truth?)

4. He disagrees with FACT. We have passed over better players.

5. He compares Smoove, Marvin, and Childress with Ed Gray, Cal Bowdler, and Doug Edwards? WTF? To my knowledge, those picks were all 17 or later while BK's were 2,6, and 17, I think. Not to mention that we actually won basketball games back then. Sounds like he is just a stupid fan that thinks we should have won a title, and he's angry at Babcock. Babcock is history. Why bring that sh!t up?

6. "We have 12 bona fide NBA players on our roster now; three years ago, we had zero." lol! I'm not even going to comment I'll let someone else do that.

7. The comment about going backwards and asking if Phil or Riley should be fired. Those guys have what, 13 titles between them? Woody won 13 games once. What planet does this guy live on? Oh yeah, rich boy who never grew up planet.

8. If we get the 1 and 11, we will not think BK is a "genius". We will think he got lucky. Which... he won't. Interestingly, no mention of how we should feel if we get no picks, or only an 11.

I applaude Steve Belkin for sticking it to these guys. Our losing games is not his fault. We could be winning games. That much, Gearon and I agree on. What we do not agree on however, is the need to do so.

If Belkin loses, we all lose.

They have absolutely no idea.

• Moderators

The day I endorse Belkin is the day I am no longer a Hawk fan with the proviso that if he wins control of the team I will give him a chance to earn my respect.

However, he has joined hands in running this team into the ground by financially strapping the team, legally strapping the team and making it such an unattractive environment that we don't have many options other than the status quo in terms of coaches or GMs who could own this team.

I suspect that if Belkin owns this team we will be fighting to convince him the team should stay in Atlanta while he take offers from Vegas, etc.

All of those hurdles could have been overcome on the court, AHF. I'm no BK fan, but this team could have possibly made the playoffs last year. It's the overall stupidity of the front office that I cannot stand for.

Also, we couldn't get free agents before Belkin. That isn't even a factor to me.

Let's cross the "moving" bridge if we get to it.

AHF, after watching John Schuerholtz for about half of my life, I can't stomach Gearon saying that BK is the smartest basketball mind he has ever known.

You know, we were lucky once. There was only one Ted Turner in world history.

• Moderators

Quote:

All of those hurdles could have been overcome on the court, AHF. I'm no BK fan, but this team could have possibly made the playoffs
last
year. It's the overall stupidity of the front office that I cannot stand for.

Also, we couldn't get free agents before Belkin. That isn't even a factor to me.

Let's cross the "moving" bridge if we get to it.

AHF, after watching John Schuerholtz for about half of my life, I can't stomach Gearon saying that BK is the smartest basketball mind he has ever known.

You know, we were lucky once. There was only one Ted Turner in world history.

I agree that our front office has made major mistake but remember what owner was most vocal in supporting Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams - Belkin. No guarantee of better on the court selections with Belkin running things as opposed to the ASG.

I can't stomach some of the stuff Gearon has been saying either but Belkin has handcuffed this team into a situation that REALLY limits our options in terms of replacing Woodson or BK. He instigated the breakdown in the ownership and has resisted efforts to push it to a faster resolution because he gets more leverage with more delay.

How am I supposed to endorse that?

Que soundtrack to "Mrs. Robinson" by the Beattles (insert Belkin in place of Gearon if you prefer):

and up yours Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know bohoo bohoo

go away please Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans can only pray

hey hey hey...hey hey hey

we like to know a little bit about you for our files

we like to help you learn to help yourself

look around youu all you see are wasted draft picks

stroll around the empty arena until you feel at home

and up yours Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know wuwuwu

Hawks fans can only pray

Hide Billy Knight in a hiding place where no one ever goes

Put him in the unemployment line

It's no secret, just the Gearons' don't understand

Most of all, you've got to do it for the fans

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know (bohoo, bohoo)

Go away please, Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans can only pray

(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)

sitting on a sofa on a sunday afternoon

Going to the Hawks forum

Lament about it, cry about it

When you've got to choose

Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

Where have you gone Ted Turner,

the Hawks nation turns its lowly eyes to you, boohoo, boohoo,

what's that you say Mr. Gearon

Ted Turner has long left and gone away,

oh vey, oh vey, oh vey

I remember in an earlier article that ted turner would possibly step in and maybe try to buy the team. Or a guy with a "large purse" or something. If that was to happen how long would it take for that to take place? I wouldnt mind belkin since he is proboaly better than the asg, but I dont want anyone who wants to move the team.

If we continue on our present course, I may have to throw my taste, good judgement, and convictions aside and join you on that Belkin bandwagon....though the thought of doing so makes me honestly feel like hurling. So hopefully things will not ever reach *that* particular level of badness- but we're the Atlanta Hawks, so ya never know.

Great points, every one. This guy is either ridiculously stupid himself or he thinks the fans are. His blog opened my eyes totally to just how bad the ASG all are.

I am officially aboard the Belkin wagon. Like Fanatic, I am willing to try anybody different. We now have official proof that the ASG are totally clueless in this business. I cannot believe this guy owns a big piece of a basketball team in the NBA. Has anyone ever seen an owner that out of touch with his fanbase? I haven't.

Belkin could be no worse. Trust me, it doesn't get worse. We are in deep trouble and BK is apparently here for the duration because his awful performance is lauded by those in power. You can't make this stuff up.

Go BELKIN!!!! Kick their lousy ass!

Guest Walter

preferably into a thousand, charred, unrecognizable peices and no one misses them.

It's the evil vs incompetent and "shinny, happy" ignorant. Frankly, I think they should be married to each other for the rest of their lives, just not as Hawk ownership. I don't know which is worse, either I suppose. God help you when Belkin isn't the worst thing about your team's ownership, but we're there.

Note: to all you lawyers out there. Can the horrible state of the Hawks have any effect on the legal decision? If so, how much do you guys think this is smoke to "please the court" and how much of it is smoke "to please the court" of public opinion. We all know it's not true. Nobody can be a dim witted as our ownership would seem, right?

W

Having to choose between the ASG and Belkin is somewhat akin to having to choose between death by slow strangulation or death by slow poison. Either way is gonna suck badly- it's just a matter of which sucks less.

I'd be firmly on-board Belkin's bandwagon if he weren't such a sneaky, weaselly little bastard. Ethically speaking, his actions in this matter are at best highly questionable, at worst they are borderline despicable. If he were to assume control of this team, I don't feel like I would ever be able to trust him.

But then again, I could be completely wrong. Those are just my impressions of him.

Gearon jr. mentioned that we had zero NBA players on our roster 3 years ago. Funny, he mentioned a year in which we used a whopping 22 players! Look it up if you don't remember. I know I didn't. Anyway, there were some decent players. Aside from the whole complete disrespect of the team he loves and all, the man is an idiot. Here's a few:

Jason Terry started for a 67 win team. I'm not J.T. fan, but...

Theo Ratliff was a DPOY, albeit while not for us, correct?

Stephen Jackson was a vital part of a title team. Enough said. And believe me, I could rail on his character.

Not to mention Reef, Sura, Nazr, Diaw, Vaughn.

This guy is a complete tool.

Quote:

Que soundtrack to "Mrs. Robinson" by the Beattles (insert Belkin in place of Gearon if you prefer):

and up yours Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know bohoo bohoo

Hawks fans can only pray

we like to know a little bit about you for our files

we like to help you learn to help yourself

look around youu all you see are wasted draft picks

stroll around the empty arena until you feel at home

and up yours Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know wuwuwu

Hawks fans can only pray

Hide Billy Knight in a hiding place where no one ever goes

Put him in the unemployment line

It's no secret, just the Gearons' don't understand

Most of all, you've got to do it for the fans

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans hate you more than you will know (bohoo, bohoo)

Go away please, Mr. Gearon

Hawks fans can only pray

(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)

sitting on a sofa on a sunday afternoon

Going to the Hawks forum

Lament about it, cry about it

When you've got to choose

Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

Where have you gone Ted Turner,

the Hawks nation turns its lowly eyes to you, boohoo, boohoo,

what's that you say Mr. Gearon

Ted Turner has long left and gone away,

oh vey, oh vey, oh vey

If this was on a CD, I'd actually buy it! grin.gif

• Premium Member

If you dont want anyone who probably wants to move the team, you don't want Belkin.

I too hope that AS settles with Belkin behind the wallet of some big time billioniare like Turner... but we just have to wait and see.

I would think there is a good many guys who do business like Belken. Shifty, borderline or worse re ethics, etc, its just that he's out in the open. He is a ruthless business man, and he has contributed greatly to the slide and potential fall of the Hawks by extending this fight. If he really cared about the team and fans, he's settle and let them get on with it.

• Premium Member

No, him being out in the open is not it... There are several sharp businessmen who work out in the open. Belkin doesn't know how to play well with others. He's a classic Micromanager and Egomaniac. Look at some of the thing being said about him with his "towers".. His architect walked off the project. Belkin will always have problems letting the smart people do their job. That and the fact that the towers is too expensive for Belkin to afford tells me that Belkin is just not a good choice. He would be a cheapskate owner and he would be a micromanager to whoever is the GM and we would get nothing done. LAClipps has transcripts on what that leadership looks like.

• Moderators

Quote:

Note: to all you lawyers out there. Can the horrible state of the Hawks have any effect on the legal decision? If so, how much do you guys think this is smoke to "please the court" and how much of it is smoke "to please the court"
of public opinion
. We all know it's not true. Nobody can be a dim witted as our ownership would seem, right?

The state of the Hawks is irrelevant to the legal issues on appeal and won't affect the decision by the Court in any way. It could affect the value of the franchise, though, which would be relevant in terms of trying to negotiate a buyout agreement.