• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How will your outlook change with the lotto result

CBAreject

Quote:

How does your outlook change if we get the 1st pick? 2nd pick? 3rd pick? Just the 11th pick? No picks at all (extremely unlucky)?

if we get Durant or Oden there will be alot less posts from certain individuals.

if we get no pick the "Woe is me" crowd will be singing in chorus.

if we get the 11th pick there will be mild debate over which PG to take at that spot.

if we get the 3rd pick there will be a knock down, drag out fight over whether we should keep the pick or package it in a trade for a big name.

if we get the 2nd pick it all hinges on who gets the 1st pick. not all teams would take Oden at 1.

if we get the 1st pick there will be posters crawling out of the woodwork saying we're picking the next Sam Perkins while passing on Michael Jordan. at the very least it'll bring back up the Marvin debates.

me personally, I'm O.K. with all of the above. the sky isn't exactly falling. BK made a deal with the devil by pulling the trigger 2 years early IMO for Joe so now it's time to pay up. that being said this is a 2 player draft at the top so if we lose that pick to PHX it's really not that big a deal considering we still have our max boy on the roster and we know he's pretty good.

If we don't get really lucky and land the 1-2-3 pick, hopefully we will get some real value at the 11. Even with that though...I would have to then measure the draft by what our Eastern Conference rivals get. If both Oden and Durant go to EC teams, we are in further trouble. If they both go out west maybe we can break even with other EC teams draft-wise...maybe even gain a little.

I think the outlook of the team changes drastically if they get the first or second pick as both Oden and Durant and have franchise caliber talent. Beyond that though, all we can do is hope BK addresses the point guard situation.

My worst case scenario is where Indy gets the 1st or second pick and the Hawks get the third pick. You just know BK will think it is too early to pick one of the point guards and thus he will draft someone like Wright, Brewer or Green yet not make any significant trades.

• Moderators

Quote:

My worse case scenario is that we pick 2nd...and BK finally decides we have enough SF's and we pass on Durant. If you think that can't happen, you better remember who we have as our GM and ownership.

Call me crazy-in-love with the ASG if you want, but I don't see us passing on the surviving Oden/Durant with the #2 pick.

Quote:

Quote:

My worse case scenario is that we pick 2nd...and BK finally decides we have enough SF's and we pass on Durant. If you think that can't happen, you better remember who we have as our GM and ownership.

Call me crazy-in-love with the ASG if you want, but I don't see us passing on the surviving Oden/Durant with the #2 pick.

there would be trade offers out the ying yang for Durant at 2.

I'd take him though and let the chips fall where they may.

Hmmm... So may ways to go with this one...

If we get #1 we take Oden no questions asked; love Durant (and I am Burnt Orange to the core, HOOK EM'!) but our glaring need is in the middle at the 5.

If we get #11 from Indiana i really gotta lean towards Javaris Crittendon, over Law/Conley

-- Javaris is 6'5" and NBA ready, plus I see Conley going earlier in the draft.

If we get #2 (and Oden is gone) we take Durant and watch our phone LIGHT THE "f" UP; i'd be fine with trading Durant if it netted us someone in the Jermaine O'Neal/Kevin Garnett mold... It's a stretch, I know...

or

If we get #2 (and Oden is gone) we make a phone call to our friends in Portland and propose a trade... something along the lines of

Zach Randolph or Jarrett Jack

#6 pick in the first round (which could be R.Hibbert)

#1 pick next year (top-3 protected only)

or

If we get the #2 (and oden is gone) we draft Durant and look to move either Smoove/Childress/Marvin to get back into the lottery or to stack up on picks next year.

If we lose our pick to Phoenix then I burn Billy Knights' effigy and curse the ASG for yet ANOTHER season. At least they wont be getting my season ticket money this year; that fate was sealed the minute the announced that

Mike "I have no clue what the hell I am doing" Woodson, aka the sub-.300 winning percentage village people reject, was gonna be back to screw up another season.

Watch...

David Stern hates the hawks and will have Indiana win the lottery with us ending up at #4... And thus, we get SCREWED!!!

• Moderators

Quote:

How does your outlook change if we get the 1st pick? 2nd pick? 3rd pick? Just the 11th pick? No picks at all (extremely unlucky)?

Here is my changing outlook:

Get the 1st pick: Woo, hoo! We have a bright immediate future! Time to get playoff tickets!

Get the 2nd pick: Sweet. A superstar. This requires some shuffling but we are on the rise with a bullet!

Get the 3rd pick: Not bad. At least we kept our lottery pick this year. This is going to be a challenge how to maximize the value on this one and I don't trust BK to make the right decision.

Just the 11th (this also covers the 12th, 13th and 14th): BK should have protected our pick a bit more but no use crying over spilled milk. Now we need to land one of the following players: Conley, Law, Critt, Hibbert.

No picks: Reap the whirlwind, BK. You live by the lottery, you die by the lottery. You better make lemonade out of lemons in FA and the trade market in the offseason if you hope to have a prayer of keeping your job.

Quote:

What outlook are you talking about?

That's what I was wondering also.

If we're talking about the team outlook, of course it makes a big difference. No 1 could save our team to some extent. No 2 would help but forces a big trade, and the quality of that trade will decide our future. No 3 helps but is no savior. No top 3 pick will mean the expected scenario occurred and I feel ok about the team but we need to draft a PG and trade one of our forwards, probably Chill.

If it's a change in outlook on whether we should have tanked, how we feel about BK, the ASG or whatever, then I agree that it won't change my outlook. These guys aren't as bad as some believe, and not as good as others believe.

Perhaps most important of all, a top 2 result here will have convinced me that somewhere in a remote place some voodoo doctor has finally lifted our curse. Or that whoever we draft should get some serious life insurance.

• Moderators

Quote:

David Stern hates the hawks and will have Indiana win the lottery with us ending up at #4... And thus, we get SCREWED!!!

Rejoice! It is impossible for Indiana to land a top 3 pick and for us to end up in the 4th spot (best case scenario for our pick under those circumstances is 5th).

• Premium Member

I think more importantly than the draft, we need to focus on the health of our current team. The draft is only important for those people who are not about winning and who believes that winning can be put off for 3 to 4 yrs. Aside from Oden there is no other player that would effect next years team in a very positive way.

So, my outlook is dependent really on:

1. How Healthy is Speedy?

2. What kind of trades will we make for Lue, AJ, and Lo?

Then...

What can we get at #11.

You see because if Indy moves up and gets the #2 pick overall, those who live by the draft will be contemplating suicide.

However, there are better things that we can do than just sit around and hope for another young player to wait 2 to 3 years on...

• Moderators

Quote:

However, there are better things that we can do than just sit around and hope for another young player to wait 2 to 3 years on...

Personally, I think young talent is critical for improving this team.

Look at the effect guys like Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce, Josh Smith, Jermaine ONeal, Tayshaun Prince, Josh Howard, Leandro Barbosa, etc. had on their teams.

None of them were top 3 picks.

I agree, though, that this team has a lot of things to work on and improve on regardless of the draft.

Guest Walter

Quote:

if we get Durant or Oden there will be alot less posts from certain individuals.

I'll post the same. I'll be so glad we didn't "make the playoffs" like others said we could or would. It was a laughable notion, regardless. I'll post...It'll be the first time this rebuild stood a chance after the MW drafting. Still BK and Woody need to go.

Quote:

me personally, I'm O.K. with all of the above. the sky isn't exactly falling. BK made a deal with the devil by pulling the trigger 2 years early IMO for Joe so now it's time to pay up. that being said this is a 2 player draft at the top so if we lose that pick to PHX it's really not that big a deal considering we still have our max boy on the roster and we know he's pretty good.

The sky isn't falling but lesser mediocrity is a [censored]. We better hope for a miracle because we're trying to reach the sky not merely stay grounded without a sky on top of us. Did I say lesser mediocrity is a [censored]? So is the ASG coorporate line.

W

• Premium Member

Young talent is nice to have, but young talent is not as essential as you say.. PLUS Young talent doesnt cause turn around like the acquisition of the right free agent does.

Look at all the guys you mentioned:

Prince: Detroit was not a championship calibre team until Rasheed showed up.

Wade: What would Miami be without Shaq.

Oneal: Was in his 4th year before he became a difference maker.

Pierce: Where has Boston Gone?

Barbosa: Come on Without Him, Phoenix still is in the second round of the playoffs. Nash is the team.

If we were to trade away #11 for Billups, we would be playoff team next year and go much farther than if we drafted Law, Conley, or Critt.

We talk about young guys as if they mean so much, but look at teams like Milwaukee, PTL, and Boston. They are stacked with Youth and arent going anywhere. Championship teams (with the exception of San Antonio) all have FA talent.

• Moderators

Quote:

Young talent is nice to have, but young talent is not as essential as you say.. PLUS Young talent doesnt cause turn around like the acquisition of the right free agent does.

I am not saying these guys are the be-all, end-all of their teams. Just that bringing in good young talent is critical.

Quote:

Look at all the guys you mentioned:

from a different perspective

Prince: Detroit was not a championship calibre team until Rasheed showed up.

And Detroit would not have won a championship without Prince and his amazing D on Kobe, etc.

Quote:

Wade: What would Miami be without Shaq.

What would Miami be without Wade? Without a ring for one thing.

Quote:

Oneal: Was in his 4th year before he became a difference maker.

Agreed, although this was largely due to depth in Portland with Sheed, the Davises, etc.

ONeal is a franchise cornerstone guy who was available after the lottery, though. Talk about a boost to a team long-term.

Quote:

Pierce: Where has Boston Gone?

With Pierce into the playoffs several times. Without him, nowhere. He was a double-digit pick. Cornerstone player.

Quote:

Barbosa: Come on Without Him, Phoenix still is in the second round of the playoffs. Nash is the team.

Agreed. Barbosa is one of those outstanding late draft picks that elevates teams, though, like Parker, Ginobili, etc. He will be a big asset to teams in the future and was important to this team. He is NOT the guy who drives the team, no question.

Quote:

If we were to trade away #11 for Billups, we would be playoff team next year and go much farther than if we drafted Law, Conley, or Critt.

Agreed. However, I think the odds of us acquiring Billups is less than us winning the lottery.

Quote:

We talk about young guys as if they mean so much, but look at teams like Milwaukee, PTL, and Boston. They are stacked with Youth and arent going anywhere. Championship teams (with the exception of San Antonio) all have FA talent.

I am not opposed to FAs at all. I just don't think we are in a position to realistically acquire impact FAs like Billups until the ownership situation is resolved which places greater emphasis on the importance of the draft.

Look at the effect guys like Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce, Josh Smith, Jermaine ONeal, Tayshaun Prince, Josh Howard, Leandro Barbosa, etc. had on their teams.

No... But...

Dwayne Wade went #5

Chris Bosh went #4

Paul Pierce went #7

Those are guys I would say, given hindsight, woulda went #1,#2, or #3 in their respective drafts.

Josh Smith is a "Good not Great (yet)" type player who shows flashes of brilliance but usually folllows those up with extended lapses of mediocrity. I hope he stays a Hawk, I don't expect it to happen if Woodson is retained.

Jermaine O'Neal came out of High School and was labeled a "project"... Keep in mind, he did NOTHING in Portland for the first 2-3 years he was in the league.

We passed over Josh Howard to reach for Boris "$45 Million outta Phoenix's pockets" Diaw. I said it was a mistake then and I will continue to do so.

Tayshaun went LATE in the first round because people thought he was "too skinny" or a "tweener"... He has turned out to be a decent player on an AMAZING team; his defensive style fits the Pistons and they have scorers outside of him. He wouldn't be the player he is, or have the respect he does, if he was in Milwaukee/Atlanta/Boston/Memphis etc...

The fact of the matter is that if you can build your team through the draft you stand a better chance of winning. Our team is screwed because we have a Clown and his jesters running our draft; hence, we have 6 SF's and 3 (non-starter) PG's on this squad.

1st pick- Greg Oden obviously

2nd pick- Trade down to 3rd to get Roy Hibbert

3rd pick- Roy Hibbert

11th pick- Acie Law/Mike Conley/Best PG available

I know taking Hibbert over Durant seems like an outrage but I still believe you have to have a presence down low to win a championship.

Now if Golden State/Phoenix proves that wrong this year, then I'll be back on the Durant bandwagon.

But as much as I hate them, I think the Spurs take it because they are the only team with a true big man left.

• Premium Member

I agree that our ownership does play a large role in what we can do this offseason.

Still, I haven't seen Young players make an impact on a team without there already being some semblence of team and that's done through having good vets.

As is the case for Milwaukee and PTL, all that having young players will do is give other teams a minor league team in the pros to eventually gleen off talent that was developed on the young team. I hate to say it, but we will probably end up moving Chillz and Moving Salim to some other team and watch them blow up. The reason being is that we're putting too much trust in the draft.

Good teams don't linger around the draft lottery for 3 and 4 years like us. Therefore, there must be a problem. I think that we can talk until we're blue in the face about past draft picks.. but the real problem is plan.

It has been engraved in the mind of many Hawks fans that you win by getting these great prospects that are full of potential and developing them. That's why so many people want Conley and Critt more than Law or trading the pick for a player that's already established.

However, we can't be on the potential merry go round all the time. It's a bad plan. It's a plan that never takes us anywhere.

A better plan is to find some good trades and see what established players we can get. AND filling holes.

• Moderators

Quote:

No... But...

Paul Pierce went #7

Paul Pierce went #10.

The pick we get from Indy is 90+% likely to be #11.

Not that far apart! wink.gif