• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Latest information

Sothron

That's what I'm trying to say Memphis. The price for Gasol, like it or not, is well above Chill/3/filler.

Some want a BMW for the price of a Honda. Gasol is a 20/10 low post scorer. That is a high demand proposition in the NBA these days.

Chill and 3? Not a chance. The ante must be upped. The question is whether or not the game is worth it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Belkin involved in any of these trade discussions? Billy can talk all he wants to, but the Swindler is going to have to approve any deal involving Gasol/Amare. I'm not sure I see him cooperating, especially with the one involving Gasol, it is the Joe Johnson saga all over again.

• Moderators

Quote:

Just out of curiosity: When was the last time a team traded a high lottery pick for a veteran and came out on the better end of the deal?

I seriously can't remember this ever happening

Memphis traded the #2 overall pick that became Darko for a marginal PF. They can safely be said to be the winner in that deal! wink.gif

Seriously, there are a few like:

LAC #4 overall for Elton Brand

Wash #5 overall for Antawn Jamison

It's not just what we can offer them . . . . it's what other teams can as well. And BK isn't going to scare anyone when there are other offers on the table. I think Gasol's contract would constrain us in the future.

Can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I see a glimmer that Yi might be a special player that we would be better off drafting. I also wonder if he might be the second best player in the draft? Is that crazy.

Trust me, if BK does the deal in almost any shape or form of what's been talked about, I hope the Swindler does nix it.

Amare is the only one worth what's being talked about. People mention his attitude, but that is a big part of what makes him the player he is.

Say no to Gasol or Amare! Why?...We don't need them. Without the injuries this team would have been in the playoffs, period. The entire organization knows that and the league does too. With that being said, BK better keep the #3 and #11. Pick up Yi for $ and future, and a PG because we need one today and tomorrow.

Instead of a bunch of teams lets look at the team that'll win the championship this year: Spurs Blueprint

One Foundation: Tim Duncan

Primary Sidekick (Star): Tony Parker

Bench Sidekick (Star Most of the Time): Manu G

Role Players: Everyone else(defenders, big shot makers, bulls)

Future of the Above: Rookies, 2nd Chance guys, International

Draft Outlook: Diamonds in the ruff to build a future around

Free Agency: Supporting cast members

This is the blueprint to running a basketball organization.

Hawks Blueprint (possible)

One Foundation: JJ

Primary Sidekick (coming up): JSmith

Secondary Sidekick (possibley coming up): M Williams

Bench Sidekick (Sometime Star): JChill

Role Players: Everyone else (SW, Slaim, Solo, Lue, AJ, ZaZa)

Future of the Above: Yi, Conley or Critt or Law, others

Without many injuries this team will make the playoffs next year and will have the funds to keep key players and bring in others. Drafting will become for the future not for the now. FA will want to come here, because they'll have a chance to win.

When I own the Hawks (mark my words)...this will be my plan!

Larenzo Reid

CEO

UC Fitness

www.ucfitness.biz

Quote:

Just out of curiosity: When was the last time a team traded a high lottery pick for a veteran and came out on the better end of the deal?

I seriously can't remember this ever happening

1. The Clippers got the better end of the Elton Brand/Tyson Chandler draft pick trade.

2. Houston did pretty well (in terms of won/loss record) in bringing in Shane Battier for the draft pick that turned into Rudy Gay (although Gay was quite good for Memphis).

3. I can't remember what Golden State gave up for Baron Davis, but seem to remember the price not being very high.

There are probably lots of other examples.

If it came down to it, I'd be willing to offer the #3, Chill and Zaza to get the Pau deal done.

I'm really hoping to hang on to the 11 pick...unless we can include the 11 and then trade Chill for Jarrett Jack.

As long as we come up with Pau and a young PG, I'd be ecstatic, although even just adding Gasol to this team would really improve things around here.

You'd hope that with a more experienced team (two all-stars in Joe and Pau, plus a more seasoned Marvin and Smoove), we'd be able to get through a season with Speedy, AJ, Lue, Salim, and JJ at point even if we end up giving up the 11 pick.

But for now imagine that we traded the 3, Chill and Zaza for Gasol, then added Jarrett Jack with the 11 pick. We'd have a lineup something like this:

PG: Jarrett Jack / Anthony Johnson

SG: Joe Johnson / Salim Stoudamire

SF: Marvin Williams / ??????

PF: Josh Smith / Solomon Jones

CR: Pau Gasol / Shelden Williams

That could be a very good team, although suddenly it's almost like we would be in need of a backup SF. Kind of ironic. We could probably sign somebody from the NBDL or an undrafted free-agent kind of guy.

When will this franchise finally get away from acquiring young guy after young guy and get to the business of winning games and playoff basketball? While its nice to speculate on what the team would've done this year if they weren't hit so hard by the injury bug, the FACT remains that they still fell more than a half-dozen games short. This team doesn't need another project; we already have Marvin Williams to fill that role. This team needs a guy who's proven it with live bullets flying at him (no pun intended); since Amare and KG would cost much more, the remaining candidate is Gasol. Folks can wait on the draft, hope that BK gets it right for a change, and wait another 2-3 years on the youngsters to pan out while JJ, Smith, MW, and Childress start forwarding their mailing addresses elsewhere after the team misses the postseason for the 9th, 10th, and 11th year in a row to their heart's content; I'd rather take Gasol and be in position to order playoff tickets in 2008 instead.

While I wouldn't be in favor of sending both picks and/or Smith to Memphis for Gasol, if they can be talked down to #3/Childress/Claxton, I'd get in my car and drive them both to the airport.

Quote:

Instead of a bunch of teams lets look at the team that'll win the championship this year: Spurs Blueprint

I was thinking of doing a similar thing, but mine was a little different, I included Gasol as a PF:

C: Oberto/Elson = Zaza/Shelden

PF: Tim Duncan/Horry = Pau Gasol/Solomon Jones

SF: Bowen = Josh Smith

SG: Manu = JJ

PG: Parker/Vaugn = #11 Pick/AJ,Lue or Speedy

Role Players: Barry and Finley = Marvin (or Chills) and Salim

Coach: Popavich = Woody (this is the biggest mismatch in my whole list).

I kinda like it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

When asked, according to people who follow the Bulls on RealGM, Paxson said "they wanted significantly more than Deng"...

That was Paxson's direct quote. Unlike Knight, Paxson speaks occasionally. That was a direct quote.

My point remains that Chill/3 is a LMAO deal. It will not bring Gasol. It would only give the Grizz a good laugh although everybody needs a good laugh right?

I think a deal of #3, Zaza, Marvin, and filler will get the job done.

Here's why:

Basketball is a business. Memphis may have wanted significantly more than Deng, however, the 3rd pick of this draft is nothing to underrate. You have to know that our third pick is going to be a very special player.

Now, if they don't do the trade..

They have Gasol.

He makes around 14 million with many more million to make.

He doesn't want to be in Memphis anymore.

Memphis is going to be a run and gun team which is 100% opposite of Pau's style.

I'm sure Chicago is still interested, but if Memphis goes to Chicago, they can hope for Duhon and #9 at best.

I'm sure they can talk to PTL but PTL doesn't really want Pau. Yet, they would hand off Zach Randolph to Memphis.

I think our offer would make the most sense. It would give Memphis Young talent to go with the rest of their team and the coveted 3rd pick.

I can actually see that deal getting done. If Z is added then you have something they might consider. However, I would still rather trade Chill than Marvin because MW has more upside and Chill's suddenly fragile feet have me worried.

I have watched as guys who have had these stress fractures on their feet can be plagued forever. It seems that Chill doesn't even know when he injures himself and that is a sign that just playing the game is causing it.

If Chill has one more fracture on our watch his value plummets for good.

• Premium Member

It's not even about Chillz. It's about position. IF we get Gasol, it's possible that Smoove goes back to Sf. Chillz is a BU SG/ BU SF. Trading him would be easy but we can't readily replace him at BU SG. IF JJ goes down, you're saying we play Lue or Salim at SG. That doesn't fly well. Neither does playing Smoove there and hoisting up SHoots or Marvin there and doing nothing.

Chillz is our best Ball handling Swingman. I think until we find another, we should hold on to him and put Marvin on the blocks.. Also, I would rather keep Smoove but if we package Smoove.. I would have to strongly consider weather we still give up Zaza.