• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just returned from a visit -

Gray Mule

Over on the Memphis Grizzlies board on RealGM.

They had quiet a discussion about the Gasol / Atlanta

trade ideas.

I learned a few things. Most of their posters there

don't think that Atlanta has anything that they will

trade that would pry them loose from Gasol.

Whatever the combination mentioned, they refused to

consider Josh Childress. They don't want him.

One of the "best" deals I saw went something like this:

Gasol - - - to the Hawks.

#3 Draft Pick

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith - - - All to the Griz.

Any one interested in this deal?

Another one:

Griz get:

#3 Draft Pick

Zaza Pachulia

Joe Johnson.

Wow! Those posters really value Gasol!!

If Hawks DO make a trade, I'm glad we're not having to

agree with their fans. Another thing, they seem to

think there is very little, if any, difference between

our pick at #3 and a pick further down - They could be

right on this one - But, when you have #3, you DO get

to select first, not take whoever is left, no matter

if the difference IS small!!

Guess they think their grass is a lot greener than ours.

(Note from and old country boy. The greener grass is

usually due to having more BS spread on it!)

smirk.gif

My gosh, what awful trades for the Hawks.

This trading for Gasol is going to become a game of chicken between Memphis, Atlanta, Boston, and possibly Chicago. The question who takes the bait first. My guess is that Gasol goes to Boston as Danny Ainge is much quicker on the trigger for a trade and BK is about as slow as there is on a trade.

Gasol is not worth Josh Smith either.

I doubt the Bulls give them anything of value be sides the undersized Ben Gordon and #9.

Would the Grizz rather have ?

Chills / ZaZa/ Speedy / #3

Gordon / Brown / Duhon / #8

Green / Ratliff / #5

Considering ZaZa is 23 and Chills is 24 the Hawks deal definatly looks good. ZaZa has some value being his is a 23 year old center. Chills does a bit of everything. While he is not "sexy" for the fans he is the type player any team needs b/c he has no weakness. (We could throw in AJ & LO as 2008 cap relief too)

Gordon does not carry the value his stats dictate since he is undersized anda defensive liability. Brown is old and broken down ready to retire and Duhon is just a servicable back up PG, nothing more.

Green has loads of potential and is a dunk camp making him a "sexy pick." However Chills could easily wind up being a better overall player. Ratliff is nothing more than cap relief in 2008. He proabaly will not play more then 20 games at 50% strength.

Bottom line. If we pick the "guy" they really want the most with our #3 pick, that is what would force their hand. So wh is "the guy." Yi or Hoford that they really want ?

I'm betting this will take till draft day.

• Premium Member

...there was also a poster who said that ZaZa and the #3 would be sufficient.

My take: while it gives some insight, the more substantive way to measure fans' inclinations is to read the various posts that comment on the different trades... anyone can come up with something as a trial ballon... but when people actually have to put two thoughts together to make it make sense, that's when you get something you can build on.

I stand what I wrote earlier--they aren't anxious to trade Gasol, but understand that he's not sending warm fuzzies their way for the time being... so they're listening and thinking about under what circumstances they'd support it.

munching_out.gif

I would take Smith, #11, Zaza plus assurance we get who we want at #4.

We could also add in an exchange of Speedy and Stromile Swift.

Pau Gasol and Stromile Swift

For

Josh Smith, Speedy Claxton, ZaZa Pachulia, and the #11.

I am betting from a Grizz management perspective that Gasol would cost either Josh or Marvin.

Quote:

That deal would make more sense. Then we could take Conley at 3. That gives us

pg Conley

SG JJ

sf Marvin

pf Gasol

C ? We would probably have to land a defensive center somehow to play along with this lineup. Solomon/Shelden would work against smaller teams.

It would be easier capwise because we know Smiths next contract will be a big one. It would be a better fit position wise because Smiths best position is the 4. He really doesn't have the quickness or the skills to play the 3. I like Josh a lot but i would have to consider this deal.

I can't see Memphis giving up Gasol without getting a big man in return because they would be badly undersized if they didn't.

From Realgm:

Calderon

Nesterovic

for

Childress

Jones (he's actually better then advertised)

Johnson

Toronto gets the athletic small forward we need. And Johnson takes Calderons old role as the solid backup that can help show Ford and Ukic the ropes. Jones is the shot blocking big man we need.

Ford/ Johnson/ Ukic

Parker/ Dixon/ Ukic

Childress/ Garbajosa/ Graham

Bosh/ Jones/ Slokar

Bargnani/ Humphries/ Sow

This basically makes Graham and Dixon trade bait for a late first in this years draft. Which we would take a SG with.

Atlanta gets the PG they need, and a veteran C that is a lot better then advertised.

Calderon/ Claxton/ Stoudemire

Johnson/ Lue/ Stoudemire

Smith/ Williams (Marvin)

Wright/ Williams (Shelden)

Nesterovic/ Pachulia

Decent trade?

Quote:

Quote:

That deal would make more sense. Then we could take Conley at 3.

smith may very well be better than gasol in the next 2 years...and for cheaper even after resigning!

and u wanna throw in zaza (name 20 better centers than him) and the 11 (conley/law/crit) AND swap picks for that?

no way

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That deal would make more sense. Then we could take Conley at 3.

smith may very well be better than gasol in the next 2 years...and for cheaper even after resigning!

and u wanna throw in zaza (name 20 better centers than him) and the 11 (conley/law/crit) AND swap picks for that? no way

Huh? We keep the 3rd pick.

We won't get Gasol without Zaza being part of the deal. And as much as i like Smith he isn't a post scorer and probably never will score in the post as well as Gasol. Marvin, assuming he develops, would be a better complement to Gasol because he is a better perimeter shooter.

I think Conley, JJ, Marvin and Gasol would work very well together.