Woody Likes Critt

Diesel

• Premium Member

Woodson likes Crittenton

Hawks coach impressed with former Tech guard's potential

By MATT WINKELJOHN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/20/07

Javaris Crittenton has plenty of reasons to want to play for the Atlanta Hawks. He was born and raised here, his mother, grandmother and great grandmother live here, he played at Georgia Tech, and one of his best friends - Josh Smith - already plays for Atlanta.

Friends and family may grant mulligans, but Crittenton isn't likely to get a do-over after his Wednesday morning workout for Hawks officials even if he'd like one between now and the June 28 draft.

After joining fellow point guards Acie Law of Texas A&M and Jamon Gordon of Virginia Tech for more than one hour of drill work in Philips Arena, the former Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy star said, "I know this wasn't my best workout. It wasn't a bad workout, but I know that in some of my best workouts I performed better than I did today."

Looking and sounding weary after a string of tryouts with the Wizards, 76ers, Suns, Lakers, Clippers, Bulls and Heat among others with stops planned later this week to Detroit and New Orleans, Crittenton may have played better then he felt.

"Great body, great size for a point guard," said Hawks coach Mike Woodson. "He kind of [has] a Chauncey Billups body. He doesn't have a Chauncey Billups game yet, but he's very competitive. He seems like a tough-minded kid. He's got a bright future in our league because of his size, but he needs to develop more."

The 6-foot-5, 198-pound Crittenton averaged 14.4 points and 5.8 assists last season, when he made the ACC All-Rookie team and was third-team All-ACC overall.

Law averaged more than 18 points per game as a senior, and is considered more polished offensively than Crittenton, 19, and Ohio State point guard Mike Conley Jr., who will work out for Hawks officials Monday.

Woodson said the Hawks are much less concerned that their point guard score than that he run the team and be a consistent defensive presence.

With the Hawks holding the No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the first round of the June 28 draft, there is strong sentiment in league circles that at least one pick will be used to draft a point guard, as Speedy Claxton and Tyronn Lue struggled last season with injuries.

For the chance to stay home, Crittenton - the tallest and longest of the top three point guards available in this draft — said he can defend with passion.

"I'll accept my role, do whatever they need me to do," he said. "I felt like maybe I needed to go away for college because of distractions, but [Tech coach Paul Hewitt] reassured me that I wouldn't have enough free time to worry about that. I feel like I'm old enough to limit distractions myself."

Quote:

He's got a bright future in our league because of his size,
but he needs to develop more."

Quote:

Woodson said the Hawks are
much less concerned that their point guard score
than that he run the team and be a consistent defensive presence.

Hmmmm

Quote:

If one believes that Conley and Critt are much better defenders than Law (I do), then that should give us an idea into their draft philosophy.

In fact, defense is what scares me the most about drafting Law.

Zbo

• Premium Member

IF we can find a way to keep the 11th pick.

Maybe Howard, Battie, Dooling for JJ, #3.

Then I would draft Critt at #11.

Sign Randolph Morris.

Trade Marvin, AJ to Philly for Miller, #12. At 12, I would take Sweet shooting Morris Almond.

Critt, Almond, Smoove, Shelden, Howard.

Quote:

Quote:

He's got a bright future in our league because of his size,
but he needs to develop more."

Quote:

Hmmmm

If anyone watched Georgia Tech games this year you know what Woodson is talking about. I personally felt that he needed 2 more seasons a la Jarett Jack. The arguement that they had the close to the same numbers is irrelevant. Jack had better players around him and still got his (didnt have to stuff his stats). I know that everyone has bad games but Crittenton vs UNLV really put the stamp on the kid that hes not ready. Does he have better measureables then Conley? yes. Was he a better pg last year? no.

I think Javaris can come off the bench with Salim but I think people have seen thats hes got quite a ways to go. Does Billy Knight and Woodson have time to wait?

Quote:

Quote:

Woodson said the Hawks are much less concerned that their point guard score than that he run the team and be a consistent defensive presence.

Now, if that quote doesn't scream "Mike Conley", I don't know what does.

Other than coming out and saying they are picking Conley i don't know how he could telegraph his intent more clearly.

Of course he isn't making the pick.

• Premium Member

Heck, any PG coming into the draft after just one year of college needs time to develop. It's kinda unreasonable to expect any PG to just show up in the League and dominate without some growing pains. The real issue is what kind of player will you have afterwards. There's a bit of an "all or nothing" mentality around here when it comes players. I'll admit I like Critt but I'd be happy with Conley or Law as well. But it's looking like Critt will be the guy and I have no problem with that. The guy is really talented and has a great attitude plus he actually WANTS to be here. You can't beat that.

I have a feeling that Woody and BK aren't always on the same page. It didn't look like Woody had his heart into Shelden last year that is for sure.

I have a feeling that we aren't taking Conley. I think BK will say Horford can play center or we trade the pick. I actually would say it's 50% trade, 35% Horford, 15% Conley.

• Premium Member

Who would have their heart in Shell last year? He was just atrocious on both sides of the court.

The one thing I can say about Conley is that he is strong enough and has the quickness to defend his position despite his height.

Shelden was not good but Woody made no effort to cover BKs arse either. Its not like we had great options and Shelden wasn't playing much. Shelden didn't play much at all in the middle 3rd of the year which is highly unusual for the 5th pick on a bad team. Typically in those situations the high pick plays to get experience just like Morrison. Morrison was playing whether Bickerstaff wanted him to or not whereas SW butt was nail gunned to the pine a lot.

Woody hasn't always been on the same page with BK even though they are good friends. In fact, it looked like Woody was protesting the SW pick.

Quote:

Heck, any PG coming into the draft after just one year of college needs time to develop. It's kinda unreasonable to expect any PG to just show up in the League and dominate without some growing pains. The real issue is what kind of player will you have afterwards. There's a bit of an "all or nothing" mentality around here when it comes players. I'll admit I like Critt but I'd be happy with Conley or Law as well. But it's looking like Critt will be the guy and I have no problem with that. The guy is really talented and has a great attitude plus he actually WANTS to be here. You can't beat that.

For the most part young pgs are not gonna step right in and take over. But at the same time, some are further along then others. When I saw Conley play last year, I thought he was almost too good to be on the college level(and that includes when oden was out). Does he need to work on his jumper? Yes. Does he need to get stronger? Yes. But you see how he ran his team and how Javaris ran his and you tell me who the better pg was. I'm a tech fan but im not drinkin that juice.

Quote:

The big problem with taking Conley at 3 is that unless someone unexpected falls, you are probably force to take a small wing at 3. You could be stuck with a Conley Stuckey draft or you trade 11 and get a stiff....good thing Juwan Howard already got traded.

Yeah I dont know how realistic it is to get him cause Im on board with Horford at #3. If it came down to conley, law or crittenton for some reason at #11 (or earlier trade up), I'd have to go with conley.

Quote:

You could be stuck with a Conley Stuckey

That isn't a problem that is a good draft. Stuckey is a combo guard who would play easily in the backcourt with Salim at the same time.

We all know Childress is a goner and he can't play the combo guard role well because he isn't one. Stuckey is.