• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Convince me Horford can be our CENTER!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed with Horford's skill video because for his size he is a great athlete. I couldn't believe how well he handled the ball for a guy his size. Shelden just isn't that athletic and in no way can handle the ball or run the floor like Al.How many alley-oop jams do we see with Shelden? How many low post moves? Al will be a damn good player in the league for a long time while Shelly will be a backup.Horf also has trmendous passing skill for a guy his size, its really a gift. I also think his faceup shot will get better. Right now Woody doesn't do much through Horford but that will change with time.I was all for Conley and I was wrong. Yes, we still need a PG but Conley isn't ready for prime time and I'm sick of waiting. Getting a Horford and a Law was better than a Conley and a...whatever was left.

Quote:

horford can't improve to be a better rebounder/blocker/passer/dribbler/stealer/fouler/handler/etc/etc than shelden
is this really confusing to you? Horford is already a good rebounder. Sure he could get better but the amount of room for improvement there is tiny compared to the amount of room for improvement in his scoring. i doubt he could double his current rebounding totals but it is possible for him to double his scoring totals.

Quote:

I was impressed with Horford's skill video because for his size he is a great athlete. I couldn't believe how well he handled the ball for a guy his size. Shelden just isn't that athletic and in no way can handle the ball or run the floor like Al.
The problem is that Al isn't using his athleticism on offense, at all. he isn't using his ball handling or speed. I am going to have to start a new thread on this when i get the chance because people are completely missing the point.

Quote:

how is that the only legit game?what about the playoff teams:dallassunsnetspistons
Don't you know that it's only legit if it fits his agendaIOW, if Horford has a solid performance it doesnt count.All those other games in Horford's career don't count. But that one bad outing is more significant than all the others combined.

I liked what I saw in the Pilly game tonight from Horford: 6-9 from the field, 12 points, 13 rebounds, turn and face jumpshots, a nice spin into the paint for a turnaround J, a couple of nice passes. Overall I'm pretty happy with what he's doing. Whether he's ideally a C or a PF I'm not sure, but he's certainly capable of holding his own as a starting C in today's NBA in my opinion. I could easily see him averaging 15 and 12 in a year or two.

Quote:

I liked what I saw in the Pilly game tonight from Horford: 6-9 from the field, 12 points, 13 rebounds, turn and face jumpshots, a nice spin into the paint for a turnaround J, a couple of nice passes. Overall I'm pretty happy with what he's doing. Whether he's ideally a C or a PF I'm not sure, but he's certainly capable of holding his own as a starting C in today's NBA in my opinion. I could easily see him averaging 15 and 12 in a year or two.
I agree completely. If he has to play center for us permanently, he'll get schooled from time to time, but he's a better option than anyone else on our roster by a long shot.He could be a great Power Foward, and I think he can be a really good Center. He's been playing REMARKABLY well for a rookie, and in this age of early entrants to the NBA I think we forget that a guy who comes out as a junior is STILL EXTREMELY YOUNG.We'll argue the PF/C his whole career unless we get a 7 footer to go in the post next to him, but at either he's capable of holding his own and then some.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

how much y'all wanna bet the attention whore prick doesnt show his face in this thread after Big Al's game tonight.
Does this guy have a name?
The sad thing with the level of vitriole on this site at times is that you can call someone an "attention whore prick" and not know who they are talking about. Just take a deep breath here people.

Quote:

Quote:

We'll argue the PF/C his whole career unless we get a 7 footer to go in the post next to him, but at either he's capable of holding his own and then some.
he already had a 7'er to go in the post next to him, and that 7'er played PF while horf played C
I never really saw a distinction in how those two were played, but you make a good point, which doesn't change my point at all.Horford would be more effective with another big body next to him, whether he's playing C or PF. When going against the bigguns he could use some muscle and mass to help him out.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We'll argue the PF/C his whole career unless we get a 7 footer to go in the post next to him, but at either he's capable of holding his own and then some.
he already had a 7'er to go in the post next to him, and that 7'er played PF while horf played C
I never really saw a distinction in how those two were played, but you make a good point, which doesn't change my point at all.Horford would be more effective with another big body next to him, whether he's playing C or PF. When going against the bigguns he could use some muscle and mass to help him out.
You could put Yao Ming playing next to Horford, and we might still be better off using Horford to guard Shaq. Horford+Smooth isn't as bad an option as some you think. You saw how 76ers stopped driving when Smoove was in and hw they drove all night when he was out. One good quarter of BH doesn't proove anything about Horford.

Quote:

my point is that even if we had a 7'er to play next to him and we played that 7'er at pf, people would still say horford is not a centerif we got gasol for smoove and played gasol at pf, people would still say the same thingi guess his 6'10 height is gonna make this a topic on hawksquawk forever
"People" may, but not me. If he can man the spot long term and prove effective, I'll call him a center. Right now I'm still calling him a "prototypical power forward that so far appears to have a good chance at being a legit center in the NBA".Why does that bother anyone?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why does that bother anyone?
In the words of the oracle...Everything has a purpose... Sheedera..Being able to play Center and being a Center are still two different things.Al Harrington can play Center and put up productive numbers, but he's not a Center... In fact, he may be better suited for another position.The same is true of Horf. I think he's better suited to play PF. We play him out of position out of necessity. That's nothing new... we do that with all of our players. Still... I'm a believer in the classic lines of basketball. I like other schemes (as long as the skillsets are represented). When I see Horf playing Center, i think about what we may be missing out on if he were playing his natural position. (it's all about purpose). Moreover, when he plays bigger, more physical guys and he struggles, I think: If he had a real C and moved him to PF, this wouldn't happen.Just my take.

Quote:

When I see Horf playing Center, i think about what we may be missing out on if he were playing his natural position. (it's all about purpose).
Watch him when he plays with Zaza/Shelden or watch old UF games when he played with big man Noah. Or wait till Lo gets some minutes. You'll quickly realize what you are missing.

Quote:

Moreover, when he plays bigger, more physical guys and he struggles, I think: If he had a real C and moved him to PF, this wouldn't happen.
He struggles less with Shaq,Alonzo, TD etc. than just about any bigger physical guys. He annihilated SamD last night. To guard the new NBA PFs he'd have to be on the perimeter much more.