• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do we have enough offense???

BHayley

I know we would've been so close to making the playoffs if healthy this past year, but I really worry about our offense production this coming year.

We're all dying to see Marvin step it up this year, but will he or Smoove be that Rashard Lewis or sidekick to JJ we really need? Now we need to keep Smoove, but I really think we should worry at this point about offensive productivity. Defensively, we are set. Great players who can defend.

We need another scorer though. Woody was not wrong...

IF, IF, IF we stay healthy we shouldn't have to many problems scoring the ball..

What Woody said was that we needed another scorer and Marvin or Chillz could end up being that dependable 3rd scorer...

The defense is what I question...Speedy is suspect(gambles alot for steals)...JJ is a solid defender....Marvin is solid...Smoove is suspect(great weakside shot blocker though)...ZaZa is suspect

Chillz is really the only "PROVEN" solid all around defender off the bench right now...Horford should be solid as should Acie...But, their rooks and we'll have to wait and see!?

Sothron, I completely agree. If Marvin has another AWOL 2-9 FG start to the season, do you see him being traded around Christmas time?

I hope Marvin, Shelden, ZaZa, Speedy, and Acie all step up in some way or other. Give Shelden more minutes, ZaZa less flopping and any more defense over what he does, Speedy just to STAY HEALTHY, and Acie as a shooter

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is the big year for Marvin IMO. He has no excuses left if he doesn't improve on the court. We absolutely need him to step up and be a big time scorer for this team.

"Big time?"

How big is big?

I'm expecting JJ to continue to be the chief, aren't you?

After that, I'm expecting on any given night for JSmoove, Tito's kid, and/or ZaZa to carry the scoring burden WITH MWill... I'm happy for him to simply assert himself as one of the weapons an opposing team has to account for... which, still, is certainly taking a large step beyond where MWill has been, right?

And back to the original question...

We probably hae enough offense...

Otoh, I've argued and continue to argue that there is almost NO QUESTION that we do not have enough defense.

See sturt, that's the whole problem.

To have ZaZa as one of your choices for our 2nd weapon leaves me feeling uneasy. ZaZa is an unpolished offensive player who gets a lot of trash layups, flops, and hasn't fully developed a jumper yet.

To me, we need JJ and Smoove to be lights out every night, with Marvin scoring 17+ and playing his @$$ off if we are going to contend in the East.

• Premium Member

Marvin is Knight's golden cow. I would be very surprised if he actually gave up on Marvin and by trading him admitted that he made a mistake. Knight is the only GM I have ever seen that has never admitted to a mistake btw.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Marvin is Knight's golden cow.

You mean sacred cow...or maybe golden goose. Sorry, mixed metaphors are just one of my pet peeves. tongue.gif

Actually it was meant as a Biblical reference but thanks for the chuckles at work. Marvin may be the millstone around Knight's neck as well if he doesn't pan out.

If we use the right starting lineup not only do we have enough offense but we will also have 5 guys who can all create for themselves and their teammates.

Acie Law

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

The worst passer on the team is Marvin Williams and I don't think he comes off as a selfish guy either.

• Premium Member

It's the truth.

We need a low post scorer. JSmoove nor Marvin shoot at a high enough percent to be counted on enough. The games that we played well in are the games where Zaza or Shelden showed up in offensively (along with JJ). I think Law and Speedy will give us a sense of organization but it will definitely be up to our players in the low post to give us steady points. That's why I question 13 points, (3 20+ point games), that's why I would ask about the pricetag on Gasol.

Quote:

It's the truth.

We need a low post scorer. JSmoove nor Marvin shoot at a high enough percent to be counted on enough. The games that we played well in are the games where Zaza or Shelden showed up in offensively (along with JJ). I think Law and Speedy will give us a sense of organization but it will definitely be up to our players in the low post to give us steady points. That's why I question 13 points, (3 20+ point games), that's why I would ask about the pricetag on Gasol.

We needed a BACK TO THE BASKET scorer which is something that can change a whole offense as much as any great PG because of the ability to score/dish.

Horford is a guy who could be a better back to the basket scorer and passer than Gasol.