• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chillz vs. Marvin...why not?

khaos7

Nice little article about Chillz in the AJC. The guy has his head on straight. But I'm just wondering, why can't this guy, at the very least, earn a chance to start? I know Marvin was a 2nd overall pick. But defensively, Chillz is better. He shoots for a higher percentage. He's not afraid to go to the hole. Granted he's not flashy and he is injury prone. But why does Marvin (if Smoove is playing the 4) have to be the starter? Heck, he played off the bench at UNC! I think he can handle being a 6th man. I say put your best players on the floor. I think Chillz is one of our best players. I know he gets "starter minutes." But his defensive presence could be an asset at the beginning of games and starts of 3rd quarters (where teams would jump out on the Hawks). I just believe Woody should give the guy a chance. I believe, right now, he's a better player at the 3 than Marvin (and that's no slight on Williams).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a #2 overall pick, you have to give Marvin every possible chance to succeed...and IMO that means starting him, especially now, his third season- when you would really expect him to begin an upward progression. And it's not like Marvin hasn't shown improvement, either. His outwardly passive demeanor and sometimes passive game are as disconcerting to me as they are to anyone else- but by no means does that mean that he can't become a real player, nor does it mean that he can't become more assertive out there on the court. He is still so young, and still developing not only as a player but as a person. I still have great confidence in him personally. He may never live up to his #2 pick status (or then again he might), but that doesn't mean that he can't become a good and valued player for this team.

Quote:

Quote:

But why does Marvin (if Smoove is playing the 4) have to be the starter?

Because he is a better basketball player than childress!

Oh yeah? How has he proven that he is? Is it about winning games or entitlement? Seriously. I think I named a list of areas that Childress has an edge over Marvin in (defense, shooting percentage, penetration to the bucket). If, for a 3rd season, he's better than Marvin in those areas, how can you continue to justify him playing behind Marvin?

I'm not saying that the gap between Chillz and Marvin is huge. However, I don't think it's slap in the face blasphemy to consider Childress as the starter over Marvin, if it gives us the best chance to win. Also, I know Marvin is younger. But, it's not like Childress is ancient. He only has one more year of experience over Marvin.

Quote:

Quote:

You are the biggest homer loser I ever seen. How he is a better basketball player? All Marvin can do is shoot thats it everything else he does a horrible job at. I have been saying it for months CHildress should be our starter because he has earned it and brings more to the table. Marvin is only a starter because he was the 2nd overall pick period. Right now Childress does more and brings more to the table then Marvin does theres no way around it. With Childress starting right now it gives us the best chance to win. Every starter we have has earned there spot except for Marvin this is bull if you ask me. We have to put the 5 best players out there to start the game that give us the best chance to win. Marvin needs to earn his starting spot just like everyone else the hype crap is over with.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh yeah? How has he proven that he is? Is it about winning games or entitlement? Seriously. I think I named a list of areas that Childress has an edge over Marvin in (defense, shooting percentage, penetration to the bucket). If, for a 3rd season, he's better than Marvin in those areas, how can you continue to justify him playing behind Marvin?

I'm not saying that the gap between Chillz and Marvin is huge. However, I don't think it's slap in the face blasphemy to consider Childress as the starter over Marvin, if it gives us the best chance to win. Also, I know Marvin is younger. But, it's not like Childress is ancient. He only has one more year of experience over Marvin.

I agree Childres has earned the right to start over Marvin Williams. Marvin is only the starter because the Hawks franchise has justify taking this guy 2nd overall over much better players. Bottom line Childress as our SF gives us a much better chance to win the game from the start then giving Marvin Williams the job just because where he was drafted.

Not to get into this debate over which player dribbles better, or which penetrates better, but Chilldress has not performed well when given the opportunity to start. Marvin was out at the beginning of last year, Chill just didn't cut it as a starter. He did much better off the bench. He has to show that he is capable of starting to earn the role.

Quote:

He has to show that he is capable of starting to earn the role.

And Marvin should be expected to earn his way in as well. Harrington left and Marvin was given the job. In my humble opinion, Marvin has been given chances to succeed, struggle, and stumble without fear of losing his position for the past two years. I can't say the same holds true for Childress. If in this training camp, Chillz out performs him and Marvin is still timid and non-assertive, why not give Chillz his shot. Upside? Marvin has the edge. But upside has never scared an opponent. It's what you can do on the court now. And if Childress (like he did last year) is a better defender, shooter (regardless of how funky his shot looks), and playmaker than Marvin, he should start. Perhaps the fear of losing his job might inspire Marvin.

Early with the Hawks Josh had his chance to start and he didn't play up to his ability. Woody gave him big minuets off the bench and he has done that ever since. I guess that is where he is most conferable, like Tyronn Lue. I also feel like Marvin Williams and Josh Childress are two different types of wings.

• Premium Member

What you will find here is that Marvin has strong support from some Hawksquawkers.... and they have absolutely no reason that validates Marvin.

Somebody said that Chillz has to "Earn" the right to start... My question is when has Marvin "earned" the right to start?

When Marvin is playing, I see lackluster, unpassionate play with no effort to get better. He makes the same mistakes over and over...

My theory is that Marvin has garnered so much supports because he played for UNC. I think there's a UNC tribe here.... They love UNC and hate Duke. So you find that there are those here who love Marvin... when Marvin is not doing anything to live up to his billing. He's shooting 48% from underneath (which is horrid) and he's shooting 24% from 3..

Marvin is 3 years younger than Childress and their numbers are close. Chill is what he is at this point. He cannot get his shot off and depends on others to get him looks.

Again, go back and look inside the numbers. Does any reasonable person really think Marvin will still have Chill like numbers in 3 years? It's called "upside" and Marvin has a lot more.

Chill will not even be a Hawk next year. He is perfect coming off the bench as a spark.

Even Woody knows better to than to start Chill over Marvin. The people here proposing it are showing their lack of knowledge and understanding of the bigger picture. That's not surprising. But when Marvin is a 17ppg/7rpg player at 22 I don't want to hear any of you jumping on his bandwagon.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin is 3 years younger than Childress and their numbers are close. Chill is what he is at this point. He cannot get his shot off and depends on others to get him looks.

Again, go back and look inside the numbers. Does any reasonable person really think Marvin will still have Chill like numbers in 3 years? It's called "upside" and Marvin has a lot more.

Chill will not even be a Hawk next year. He is perfect coming off the bench as a spark.

Even Woody knows better to than to start Chill over Marvin. The people here proposing it are showing their lack of knowledge and understanding of the bigger picture. That's not surprising. But when Marvin is a 17ppg/7rpg player at 22 I don't want to hear any of you jumping on his bandwagon.

Well said! headbang.gif

Quote:

But when Marvin is a 17ppg/7rpg player at 22 I don't want to hear any of you jumping on his bandwagon.

That's my main thing. Although, itll also be annoying if that happens and Diesel keeps trying to "find" things to obsessively critize him for.

You can bet every dollar in your checking account that whatever Marvin does that Diesel will find plenty of flaws. He will never come around on Marvin. Never.

He has been bashing him for two solid years so he has too much equity in Marvin bashing to stop. I find it funny, actually hilarious, that a player picked only three slots down gets his undying affection...Shelden. It makes no sense at all that Marvin is the source of so much vitriol but Shelden not only gets a pass, he gets praised as being "Mailman" like...poll every GM in the league and not one would prefer SW to Marvin. You have to come to this board to find stuff like that.

I'm no Shelden fan but I hope for the best for him and think he can be a solid role player. Diesel and Walter would never admit as much about Marvin. They would rather be right than have Marvin bust out. They wouldnt admit that but its true anyway.

Expect the usual 500 trade Marvin threads and other various insults. The comparisons to Chill are just silly. When Marvin is 24 like Chill he will be the last guy we trade.

Quote:

Quote:

Um, no. He has more potential than Childress, but he is not better. Childress is the better rebounder, better finisher inside, and moves much better without the ball. It could also be argued that he's the better defender.

I realize Marvin just turned 21 and I'm still giving him a chance, but at this point Childress is the better player and deserves to start. If and when Marvin proves himself, then I'll agree with him starting. No more of this "he has to start because he was the #2 pick" crap.

Actually, Childress is better off the bench. Your "better defender" argument is suspect. Neither are great but both are adequate. Chill is only better without the ball because he exclusively plays off the ball. They run no sets for him because he can't create.

There are things Chill does better and there are things Marvin does better. Marvin does take the ball to the rack, a rare thing for the Hawks. He gets to the line and will do better at that this year with a full season.

Their numbers are not dramatically different right now. Do you prefer apples or oranges? Depends on the person.

But Marvin at 3 years younger who can get his own shot is a much better asset. That is only debatable in the "I like Hawksquawk but I really don't get basketball" crowd. GM's know Marvin has substantially more upside and he will wear our uniform for years. Chill is likely gone as a relative bust in relation to how he plays, his age, his upside, and who we passed over to take him (Deng).

Chill can do better against second units and with his style is not a better starter. I think he will come off the bench as a 6th man for his entire career which will not be in ATL. This Chill should start is an emotional overreaction by the anti-Marvin hysteria crowd. Marvin just turned 21, he will be fine.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Um, no. He has more potential than Childress, but he is not better. Childress is the better rebounder, better finisher inside, and moves much better without the ball. It could also be argued that he's the better defender.

I realize Marvin just turned 21 and I'm still giving him a chance, but at this point Childress is the better player and deserves to start. If and when Marvin proves himself, then I'll agree with him starting. No more of this "he has to start because he was the #2 pick" crap.

Yes sir sit Marvin on the Bench until he earns the job not just because it was given to him because of upside or default. Childress gives us the better chance to win right now. He does everything better then Marvin does right now. Marvin cant even walk straight it seems he trips over his own feet and his shot blocked more then anyone on this team.