• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A way to get Battier, graymule?

cynic

The Grizz already say that everybody wants him. I think they get a lot of offers for him, especially around the deadline from contenders. What would it take to swipe Battier?

One thing not many people talk about is the fact that the Grizz will, in all likelihood, lose their draft pick to Detroit this year. They only retain their pick if it is #1 overall.

This has two sets of ramifications:

1) Detroit is going to be sick next year if they use that pick right (what if they got Darko or traded for Eddie Jones!)

2) The Grizz have almost no way to improve, right? Are they under the cap? I don't keep up, so, somebody tell me. Assuming they cannot sign a big FA, they can't improve except by trading. Does Jerry West think Big Dog can help him?

Gasol

Dog

Swift/Lo

Miller

JWill

That's actually a good lineup, scoring-wise, but it won't make them a playoff team. Problem is, they'll be just good enough to miss the playoffs, so they'll be mediocre for a while. I think West knows that, too.

Do the Grizz have enough contracts to trade for Dog? I think their big contracts are JWill, Dickerson, and Lo, right? They won't trade JWill, and we don't really want him.

No. I don't have the solution - Just the desire.

Diesel can probably give all the details that would make

a trade possible. Maybe even a three way with someone

who could really use Big Dog and his scoring touch. They

would have to give the Grizzlies someone they really

need and want and then they send us Battier.

There is a solution. I just don't know how all these

contracts, salary cap and all the details fit together.

• Premium Member

Getting Battier would be very difficult if we were using Big Dog...

I mean one three way that immediately comes to mind is:

Big Dog/Glover (SNT) to NY.

Spreewell/1st to Memphis.

Battier/Lo Wright/Dickerson to Atlanta.

The motivation for NY is that Grob is a good compliment to Houston. However, I don't think that it's enough compensation for NY.

They would want...

Grob/Nazr/1st (Indy) to NY.

Spreewell/Spoon/1st to Memphis

Battier/Lo/Dickerson to Atlanta.

I'm not saying that that's a bad deal at all. However, What's the health of Dickerson these days?

Diesel,

If we could get Battier and Lo for GRob/Nazr/Indy pick, I'd be all over it. Sure, throw in Dickerson, too if you want. I really don't care what happens to him.

Basically, I think Lo is as good or better than Nazr, and I think that Battier for GRob is a great deal for us.

I despise Big Dog as much as the next guy here, but putting Battier on his level is ridiculous, and that's coming from a Duke fan.

Battier is a solid player. Does many things well, but doesn't have any overwhelming talents.

Dog is one of the better shooters in this league. He can get his shot off over almost anyone. Problem is, that is nullified by his lack of defense, ect.

Lo/Nazr are even in my book. Good backups, can start in a pinch, but not exactly the guy you want starting 82 games for you.

So, we get a backup Center and a complementary SF for a 20 point scorer, backup center, and a 1st Round Pick? Are you people the offspring of Babcock or what?

I know we don't like Robinson, but the guy still has value. Jerry West would be raping us in that deal. We have to put Dog on the market to see what he can bring. If Battier is the best we can get, so be it. There are other guys (Spree, Rose) that can probably be had for Robinson.

You said yourself that Glenn Robinson's lack of defense nullfies his offensive contribution. Then you say that Shane Battier is not on his level????

The trick is that it doesn't work the other way around. If a player is only average offensively, his teammates can take up the slack. However, a bad defensive player is exposed over and over with little recourse.

Shane Battier's team contribution would be greater than Big Dog's. Therefore, he would be a more valuable player to our team, and a player with future trade value. As it stands, Big Dog is virtually untradeable. His contract is so cumbersome for such an overall poor player that we should take any reasonable deal we can get.

Lo, Battier, Dickerson for Dog/1st? I'm sold.

We're not the second coming of Babcock, pal. We recognize a cancer when we see one.

I knew you could come up with something.

And thanks, Cynic. I too think that Battier would make the

Hawks better. That is the key, as far as I can see.

Are the Hawks a better team when Big Dog plays or when

he is out? Check the record. Hawks won again tonight

without Big Dog. Why? Not because Big Dog is not a

good shooter, for we all know that he is. Not that he

can't rebound because we all know that he gets his share

of boards.

I would rather have the potential of Battier, coming off

the bench to replace Newble, who has started, than to

have the Hawks loosing with Big Dog.

Different teams have different systems that are set up

to take atvanage of their personel. Big Dog simply does

not fit the Hawks present system. Battier does.

• Premium Member

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SF Shane Battier (9.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 30.5 minutes)

SG Wesley Person (11.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.7 apg in 29.4 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -0.1 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Memphis trades: SF Shane Battier (9.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 30.5 minutes)

SG Wesley Person (11.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.7 apg in 29.4 minutes)

Memphis receives: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 69 games)

Change in team outlook: +0.1 ppg, -0.7 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Memphis would plant Miller as SG

JWill/Miller/GRob/Gasol/Lo

Atlanta gains a SG & a SF:

JT/Dickau

Person/DJ?

Newble/Battier (6th man)

SAR/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

......I wouldn't hesitate to make a deal for him. A healthy Michael Dickerson can give you 16 ppg, play strong defense, and shoot well from the perimeter.

If Memphis were interested, I would trade Glenn Robinson for Lorenzen Wright and Michael Dickerson without Battier involved, but Dickerson would have to pass a physical with the Hawks doctors.

His injury is so ambiguous though, that you don't know if his career is over or not.

• Premium Member

Persons is Memphis' MVP. They'd give up Gasol before trading him. If they were to trade him, I'd take him in a NY sec. He's the best three point shooter in the game and he has poise. That's why he's their MVP.

In my book, both Wright and Nazr are both starters, especially in the East. I'd love to have both of these players on our team. Theo and SAR starting with Wright and Nazr backing them up. Or have SAR moved to SF and have Wright and Nazr split PF duties. Thing about making SAR a SF is that I like the lineup we have now (without Dog). I would even complete a deal that only brings us Wright and a pick (even if it was second round) for Dog. I have lost a lot of respect for Dog over the past year.

JT/DD

DG/DJ

Ira/DJ/draftee

SAR/Nazr

Theo/Wright

You said: "Persons is Memphis' MVP. They'd give up Gasol before trading him."

That is BS! Complete and total BS! Gasol is so much better and so much more important to the Grizzlies than Person is that it is not even worth discussing. That is like saying that Dion is our MVP instead of Reef!

Gasol: 36 mpg, 51% fg, 19 ppg, 8.8 rbg, 2.8 apg

Person: 29 mpg, 46% fg, 11 ppg, 2.9 rbg, 1.7 apg

Watch and see what happens with Person when his contract ends and see how valuable he is to Memphis.