People are putting too much stock in preseason

capstone21

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

You mean the Hawks won't be winning 5 out of every 6 in the regular season?

Seriously, the fact this team is winning with solid contributions from several different players (i.e., balance) is a GREAT indicator of success in the regular season.

We have every reason as fans to expect a playoff berth.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Its good to see us playing well but I can't stress enough that this is preseason. Its not an indication that we are as good as our preseason record reflects.

This team still has a long way to go and hopfully we can make the playoffs this year.

Did Diesel put you up to this? So Horfort playing well in pre-season against Okafor means nothing huh? The team looking more organized with fewer turn overs per game means nothing? The team passing the ball better and successfully incorporating and up tempo style means nothing? Oh okay, whatever you say!

Someone threw a stat up here recently that was backed up by 82games.com that said this:

Over the past 6 years, 21 of the 24 teams that had a 75% win % or higher in pre-season made the playoffs...One of the 3 that didn't was the Rockets when McGrady and Yao were both injured for a big chunk of the year.

I think our performance so far is a huge indicator of success.

there is a big difference between 'winning preseason' and 5-1

just like big diff from 'losing preseason' and 1-7...at this point the worst we can do is 5-3...and we've been battling injuries while getting that 5-1 record thus far...

it doesn't guarantee playoffs, but it has been a strong indicator the past few years

• Premium Member

...or maybe it is just everything coming to a head. I don't know, but something feels different. VERY different. We've all been cautiously optimistic in recent seasons. There have been signs of hope all over the place. This year's squad seems to have something more though.

IMO, it starts with the maturation of our guys. It's like a do or die situation. They're still young, but they're not that inexperienced "young" that we have been attributing losses to. It's put up or shut up time for these guys and they're talking (and playing) like they know it. Not much to say about JJ. They guy is what he is and I've seen enough of him now to feel comfortable in expecting 20+ points on any given night. This alone should be enough for optimism.

But we lucked up and got what looks to be the best big man out of the lottery and possibly...maybe?...the best guard? Okay, one of the best guards at worse. Expectations aside, these guys look like players. Real f'n players man...and two legit ROY prospects.

I haven't watched either, but one of the things that I have noticed is Acie's ability to hit big shots. Is it a natural ability to rise to the occasion...or is it simply that the kid can make plays when he wants to. Given that the best players in the game tend to be able to make shots when they need to (and thus can carry a team at times), I'm inclined to think that Law is simply a very good player - or at least a VERY good prospect.

I'm encouraged by these wins, especially over teams we should beat. Something is working on the court and I'm looking forward to a good season; and if we don't have one, I'm looking forward to seeing Woody's ass fired.

saythat.gif

• Premium Member

I think that the win over Orlando, the route of Minnesota, and the win without JJ today says something about the team as well. I've had realistic expectations throughout this rut, with one possibly overly optimistic season.

I'm not holding in my enthusiasm and optimism for this team. I'd be surprised if we didn't see significant improvemen this season.

And, just as I was really enjoying all this winning,

all this team play, knowing our rookies were showing

their stuff - -

IT'S NOT LIKE WE DIDN'T KNOW

Just let me keep on dreaming that this is the way these

Hawks are going to play when the season REALLY starts

and the games and the scores count.

huepfenicon111.gif

• Premium Member

D, the 82games study basically only showed a correlation for teams that had been poor (30 wins or less) the year before and then suddenly had a GREAT preseason.

There's no relationship between preseason success and regular season success for proven winners.

• Premium Member

I'm not going to believe it until I see it. For the most time, in preseason, teams are a lot more careful. They rest their best players (like we did today). They take injuries (even little ones) far more heavier and cautiously play players. They search for good rotations without really respecting the score or the flow of the game. For that reason, I can't put a lot into a winning record during preseason.

Quote:

I'm not going to believe it until I see it. For the most time, in preseason, teams are a lot more careful. They rest their best players (like we did today). They take injuries (even little ones) far more heavier and cautiously play players. They search for good rotations without really respecting the score or the flow of the game. For that reason, I can't put a lot into a winning record during preseason.

And even with all your excuses, 87.5% of teams that have a 75% win % or better in the pre-season goes to the playoffs that year.

Ignore it if you want, but that is a staggering number.

• Admin

just as you ask people not to overstate it, I ask you not to understate it. yes it's the pre-season, but it's not summer leagues or b-list exibition games. Everyone is out there trying to win, especially the less established teams. It's not like we're playing teams of 3rd stringers.

the wins don't count and that's about the only thing we need to remember. The way the team plays, what works, what doesn't work and the chemistry we see in action are all just as real now as it will be when the season tips off.