• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Law got inflated assist numbers???

Plainview1981

no...i just know how to read.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...p?articleid=14

"It turns out that the king of assist bias is the table at Texas A&M. At home, the Aggies recorded assists on 78.5% of their made field goals. It's a percentage that is ridiculous to the point of being unbelievable. Only one team in the country cleared an assist rate of 70% on the season and that was Northwestern at 71.6%. A&M did play some cream puffs at home, so perhaps a figure close to 80% could be attained over 19 games, which was the length of their home schedule.

Any hope of suspending disbelief is lost by knowing that away from Reed Arena, A&M was credited with assists on just 45.2% of their made baskets. That figure is significantly below the national average assist rate of 55.1%. It's a rate that, sustained for the entire season, would have ranked Texas A&M 323rd--14th-worst--in the country in sharing the basketball. So to summarize: At home, Texas A&M was one of the best assisting teams in college basketball history. Away from home, they were the worst major conference team in sharing the ball.

Away from home, A&M was playing in front of all sorts of different scorekeepers, so it's unlikely that there was a conspiracy among all or even most of them to not record Aggies' assists. No, the only explanation is that assist inflation was at record levels in College Station in 2007. It was a phenomenon that didn't go unnoticed in the rest of the conference. Texas took the unusual step of voiding assists that were credited to its own team in a game at Texas A&M. (Note: under NCAA rules this a step that doesn't affect the official statistics, only Texas' internal records.)"

What do you guys think of this?

• Moderators

One part of this analysis that should be acknowledged is the fact that A&M home schedule was much easier than their away schedule. It is easier to rack up assists against the weak sisters of the poor than against Big 12 competition.

If this assist record was our only reason for drafting

Acie Law IV then we should worry - a lot.

Naw. That wasn't the reason.

Someone watched him play. Someone knew something about

him before Hawks drafted him.

Does it really matter what his stats were? Not to me.

If he is capable of doing the job for Atlanta, that's

all I really care about.

I believe he is capable of becoming a very good PG in

the NBA. I worry about the injured wrist, nothing else.

Quote:

It was a close POINT GUARD race as to whom we should pick so ANY difference set against Law is very important. This is disturbing.

W

Quote:

Quote:

It was a close POINT GUARD race as to whom we should pick so ANY difference set against Law is very important. This is disturbing.

W

I agree with graymule that we should be able to assume the Hawks scouts/draft experts investigated Acie close enough to know if his stats are accurate or not. I'm not worried about this. Of course, if I didn't see him play fine in the preseason, I might be more worried.

Quote:

Quote:

W

If scouts used numbers to draft players, Horford would have been an undrafted free agent. How do you know it was a close calls among point guards. All I heard was Law blew away Critt.

Quote:

Quote:

W

It's irrelevant. BK wasn't going to take Conley. He awas taking Horford from day 1. This discussion is moot.

Plus you didn't address the entire post, just the portion that suited you. As Mule stated Law was not only scouted, he was worked out.

Quote:

Plus you didn't address the entire post, just the portion that suited you. As Mule stated Law was not only scouted, he was worked out.

"He was worked out" by none other than BK!!! After MW and Childress (worked out) and SW (not worked out) were drafted how does what BK does instill in you ANY confidence, much less the supreme confidence you seem to have. "BK did it. It must be good." Now that is ignorant. IG-NOR-ANT.

P.S. It wasn't just Law vs. Critt vs. Conley. Stuckey was also in the mix and they were all close. Considering the BK got THE WORST OF THE THREE POTENTIAL PICKS 3 years in a row, it's more likely than not he repeated this run of incompetence and certainly no argument for Law.

I like Law personally, but I do NOT like the notion of inflated numbers. Given Antione Wright's LACK OF success as another supposedly very good Texas A & M player in the NBA, the inflated numbers makes sense.

W

Quote:

It seems like you have been attending all the pre-season games, and have seen Acie suck in those games as well as the practices. This stat blunder has just proven your point beyond any shadow of doubt. Right?

I've never said that I do not like Law. In fact, I like what he brings personally and find perhaps more value in his apparent toughness than his playmaking abilities. That being said, I certainly cringe at the thought and apparent fact that Acie, perhaps like his fellow A & M alum Antione Wright, who is certainly underproducing in the pros, wasn't artificially hyped with stat padding.

W

Quote:

Quote:

It seems like you have been attending all the pre-season games, and have seen Acie suck in those games as well as the practices. This stat blunder has just proven your point beyond any shadow of doubt. Right?

I've never said that I do not like Law. In fact, I like what he brings personally and find perhaps more value in his apparent toughness than his playmaking abilities. That being said, I certainly cringe at the thought and apparent fact that Acie, perhaps like his fellow A & M alum Antione Wright, who is certainly underproducing in the pros, wasn't artificially hyped with stat padding.

W

If there was stat padding, its certainly not the players' fault. Neither Acie nor Horford were picked for their stats. Check out any Nets board and you'll see they are salivating about Wright after last night's game. You need to vent about something else. Don't you have a million other issues?

Quote:

If there was stat padding, its certainly not the players' fault.

I don't recall me blaming either of them for anything.

Quote:

Neither Acie nor Horford were picked for their stats.

Please that's simpleton. Everything is assessed. If Acie had averaged 3-4 APG for the season NOBODY would have been talking him as a point guard.

Quote:

Check out any Nets board and you'll see they are salivating about Wright after last night's game. You need to vent about something else. Don't you have a million other issues?

They drafted him 15th, 2 years ago (2005) and they did so after his junior year. I mean come on.

I have only stated that this would have mattered. The only other position is that it didn't matter, NOT how much it mattered. That is a ridiculous position. The only worse argument is that "because BK tried him out the decision to draft him must be a good one". Christ, that's a laugher. Do you agree with the ignorant "consensus" on that one too?

W

i am happy it happened

if not we may not have drafted him

i think he is a better playmaker than his stats say

he carried a bunch of scrubs and woulda had more assists on a better team

also, bk hardly drafts busts...maybe to this point they arent bpa in hindsight, but they are all good players with tons of potential still left to be realized

Quote:

Quote:

If there was stat padding, its certainly not the players' fault.

I don't recall me blaming either of them for anything.

Quote:

Neither Acie nor Horford were picked for their stats.

Please that's simpleton. Everything is assessed. If Acie had averaged 3-4 APG for the season NOBODY would have been talking him as a point guard.

Quote:

Check out any Nets board and you'll see they are salivating about Wright after last night's game. You need to vent about something else. Don't you have a million other issues?

They drafted him 15th, 2 years ago (2005) and they did so after his junior year. I mean come on.

I have only stated that this would have mattered. The only other position is that it didn't matter, NOT how much it mattered. That is a ridiculous position. The only worse argument is that "because BK tried him out the decision to draft him must be a good one". Christ, that's a laugher. Do you agree with the ignorant "consensus" on that one too?

W

This is what you said:

W

You are disturbed but you are not blaming? You say you understand the selection is not based on stats, but you say "nobody" would think he's a pg with those (3-4?) assists.

You need not worry, because players, coaches and fans who have seen him play for the last month have been raving about him. When Woody is contemplating about starting a rookie despite Law's injury and missed games, you know that there is something special about him.

The 3rd part of your argument is your typical Strawman bashing.

** We know this venom is all about not getting Critt.

Many of Law's big assist games were on national TV. The 15 assist game was authentic. No need to worry guys.

Sounds like alot of you still have not seen Law play. I saw Lay alot in college. Those assist #'are authentic.

After Friday he will put those worries to rest.

He is the best PG we have had since Mookie and will probably be better then Mookie.

Trust me. Once you See Law play Friday night it will be hunanimous that LAW is a real PG.

Too bad for Law his teamates could not hit the broad side of the barn when on the road. Too bad Law was leaned on to do more of the scoring on the road. Texas A&M was forced to play slow paced games (especially on the road.) Often the games would never get out of the 50's in points scored. When theydid it isb/c the game went into overtime. Now a rational man would tell you a game with less points will equate to a game with less assist. I bet that if we looked a little closer we would find Texas A&M scored 5 or 6 more baskets per game at home then they did on the road. That my friends is what skewes the assist #'s, not a cheater at the scorer's table.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

W

I don't understand the connection with Wright. Wright's numbers couldn't be inflated from generous assignment of assists since he is a gunner. If he was overrated, how would that have anything to do with Acie Law?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

I don't understand the connection with Wright. Wright's numbers couldn't be inflated from generous assignment of assists since he is a gunner. If he was overrated, how would that have anything to do with Acie Law?

What he is trying to say is that - look Wright sucks and coming from the same program with similar inflated stats, Acie will sucks too. Subliminal messages of guilty by association. Acie isn't a pg at all. We should have drafted Critt.